Class 3 ebike throttle separate from peddling, no peddle assist.

I just did a quick search on eBike classifications and they popped up. I didn’t even look at their bikes! Lol
My input was thinking of the OP.

And if I'm honest I probably hate them because it won't be all that far in the future before I have to ride such.

Here's where it gets confusing. Class 3 ebikes can go up to 28 miles per hour and must have a speedometer, but may or may not have a throttle.

It depends on the state writing the rules. California, for example, doesn't allow Class 3 ebikes to have throttles at all. In other states, throttles are allowed as long as they only work up to 20 miles per hour, while pedal-assisted electric power continues up to 28 miles per hour. Most states let you take a Class 3 ebike into road lanes or a bike-only lane in the shoulder of the road (so-called curb-to-curb). But you can't take them on bike paths that exist outside of the road or on multiuse trails shared with pedestrians, like in a park.

A few ebikes try to work around these restrictions by adding a mode that limits the speed to 20 miles per hour so that you can ride them on multiuse trails and paths. Toggle the setting or remove a special physical key and you can unlock the bike's full potential.

Yeah we were all right and wrong :p

......Most states let you take a Class 3 ebike into road lanes or a bike-only lane in the shoulder of the road (so-called curb-to-curb). But you can't take them on bike paths that exist outside of the road or on multiuse trails shared with pedestrians, like in a park.....

And just who is going to enforce that? I will tell you I see violations of this almost every day, and what it comes down to is that no one cares about the law, if no one cares about enforcing it.

And just who is going to enforce that? I will tell you I see violations of this almost every day, and what it comes down to is that no one cares about the law, if no one cares about enforcing it.
Law enforcement, the lawyers and the insurers will “enforce” it when you’re involved in an accident while riding a bike that is not permitted on the trail or path the accident occurred on. If there’s an injury and depending on the circumstances, they’ll likely do an extensive investigation.

The lawyers and insurers will “enforce” it when you’re involved in an accident while riding a bike that is not permitted on the trail or path the accident occurred on. If there’s an injury and depending on the circumstances, they’ll likely do an extensive investigation.

With or without law enforcement present and taking a report? Do you really expect the offending party to sit there for 30 mins to an hour or more and do the right thing?

We have a terrible problem with hit and runs on our streets and by the time the cops show up, it is way too late.

With or without law enforcement present and taking a report? Do you really expect the offending party to sit there for 30 mins to an hour or more and do the right thing?

We have a terrible problem with hit and runs on our streets and by the time the cops show up, it is way too late.
If there’s a significant injury, I sure hope they would “sit there”, provide assistance, and wait for the authorities. Would you “hit & run” if you were in that situation? I sure hope not. Hitting and running is a serious criminal offense. Call me naive, but I would like to think the people on this forum would do the right thing....

Edit: what about the scenario where you, the one who’s riding the bike that’s not allowed, being also injured and immobile? Is skirting the laws worth the risks? I don’t know, but it’s something to consider.

Last edited:
The PoPo can’t even be bothered to enforce the mandatory helmet law here. Doubt they’ll ever even check e-bikes for legality......with the exception of mopeds out there with unusable pedals masquerading as e-bikes. CN

If ebikes users on here can’t even tell what is legal then the police/public won’t have a clue.
Reminds me of drones when they first came out and the legalities of it, once the public get used to them people don’t seem to care as much. Remember all the scare stories of they were going to spy on your house through the windows.

Back