Class 3 28 mph coming soon ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4210

Yamaha supposed to have their own ebikes with 28 mph coming soon. They've offered their mid drives for others like Giant to use in the Class 3 , 28 mph configuration for some time now.

Believe it when I see it. IMO, they are more of a 'purist' ebike company and might see more benefit in sticking with the 20mph limit to stay legal everywhere.

Pretty awesome for a road bike, eh?? 👍
I wouldn't mind a speedbox or something as the bikes are so efficient they hit the limiter too easily. Not to go 28 per so, but just to pickup a couple more mph when you have room to do so.
Gearing becomes an issue at the higher speeds - a couple more teeth on the chain ring would be of great benefit.

So I hear the 2020 pro motor has been improved quite a bit - higher cadence support and much quieter. Now they need a 750w pack. :cool:

1585121521627.png

Presenting a motor by its motor cutout doesn't make much sense. It is just an artificial restriction.

However I see that this high speed motor is in fact listed as a 500W motor. I am assuming that it is nominal since all of the other offerings are listed as 250W. In that case it makes sense and this may actually be a viable option for average speeds in 20-22 mph range.

Looks like a nice motor and only weighs 3.1 kg, which I believe is lighter than prior models. I wonder if Giant will be using these motors on their bikes?

Presenting a motor by its motor cutout doesn't make much sense. It is just an artificial restriction.
However I see that this high speed motor is in fact listed as a 500W motor. I am assuming that it is nominal since all of the other offerings are listed as 250W. In that case it makes sense and this may actually be a viable option for average speeds in 20-22 mph range.

Looks like a nice motor and only weighs 3.1 kg, which I believe is lighter than prior models. I wonder if Giant will be using these motors on their bikes?

The PW-X2 45 looks like the same motor design as the PW-X2 with different firmware perhaps? The PWseries ST and TE also look identical. ;)

1585149031652.png
1585149073424.png

1585149122583.png

JayVee thanks for relaying real world impressions. Geez, that doesn't sound great for battery life. I don't think I'd be happy with a bike with such limited range assuming it weighs a fair bit.

I think I'd accept 40 km range for the battery if the bike weighed 20 lbs. and was easy to pedal with the motor off.

What I'd like to know is which specific manufacturer's are going to use these motors on their bikes that will then be widely available in NA?

Last edited:
In fact, when Grin Technologies tested Bosch 250W motor using multimeter (or some measuring equipment), they found that 800W of electricity was going into the motor.

Ssshhh! Don't tell the regulators that they need to limit the controller output, not the motor rating!

Yamaha supposed to have their own ebikes with 28 mph coming soon. They've offered their mid drives for others like Giant to use in the Class 3 , 28 mph configuration for some time now.

Mike, I got in my email a little teaser clip from Yamaha regarding an upcoming dual suspension mountain bike. Unlike the show model all decked out in bright colors and anodizing, this one was in stealth black with little to none side views of the bike going down a trail.

Looking forward to any future info you may get regarding this upcoming bike!

Back