Class 2 Laws?

Dwain Kitchens

In going to bike stores, I am hearing different things concerning what's allowed and what's not. I read something that said all national parks now allow class 2's. Is this true? I am kind of afraid to purchase an E Bike with a throttle, and then if the government admin changes the law, I will be limited.

Can someone please advise me on current laws etc.

Thanks!
Dwain

You have to check with your local codes first. Each municipality can write their own ordinances.

In going to bike stores, I am hearing different things concerning what's allowed and what's not. I read something that said all national parks now allow class 2's. Is this true? I am kind of afraid to purchase an E Bike with a throttle, and then if the government admin changes the law, I will be limited.

Thanks!
Dwain
All 3 classes are legal in National Parks if all 3 classes are legal in the state where the park land is located. Use of throttle is apparently not allowed. Seems the NPS wants to allow the same ebikes the state allows, but doesn't want people to motor like a moped.

Many places in the US are banning throttles for off road paths and trails. If I were asked advice on what to buy, I'd advise a class 1 or a class 2 that the throttle could easily be removed if there was a need. The key to not being hassled is to ride safe and not draw attention to yourself.

Good luck shopping and have fun riding!

Hmmm, perhaps I should consider Class 1. I would hate to want to ride somewhere and find out the bike is not allowed.
If this is the case, I am leaning toward an Electra Townie 8i.
My wife and I are both in our early sixties and live in Florida.
Thanks for responses.

Here in CA c1 and 2 are lumped together. At least anything that is paved, i.e.; not singletrack trails.
IMO get what suits you. Test ride as many as possible and then pick what you like.

We have both, and frankly, the throttle isn't really necessary unless you simply don't need/want to pedal at all.

That said, RadPower's twist throttle is pretty cool. I liked it better than I thought I would.

We finally got both of Wifey's bikes out yesterday and put a few miles on them, trading them back and forth - the Roll conversion is a conventional hub-drive with throttle, and new LIV Amiti has the Yamaha sync-drive mid-drive system. She really likes them both, for different reasons, wants to keep them both. The LIV is a little smoother, faster, and the user interface is smoother and more integrated - it goes when you pedal it, the faster and harder the more assist. The hub drive just goes when the crank turns, and then you can hold speed with the throttle.

You really need to try them both and decide which one suits you better. A mid-drive is definitely a better climber. They both have similar range and speed.

My Class 2 BBS01 kit motor has a throttle that can be removed and the bike still goes as a Class 1. That’s true of the more powerful BBS02 motor. It’s not just a Bafang thing, I recall some of the older Raleigh Electric ebikes with TransX motors had an optional throttle. DIY is pretty flexible about this, Grin Tech do a wide range of options for their hub motors from bottom bracket torque sensors to simple cadence sensors and throttles.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Dwain

It seems clear to me that HR127 defines a low powered ebike as the equivalent of a traditional bike (https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/BILLS-107hr727rh/pdf/BILLS-107hr727rh.pdf) such that any place a traditional bike can be ridden a compliant ebike should be legally compliant. States are free to define usage laws for "bikes" but they can't redefine a compliant low power ebike as something different from a traditional bike.

PAS ebikes essentially came from EU regulations and when limited to a 20mph assist cut-off they are essentially equivalent to HR127 definition of a low powered ebike. Class 3 ebikes seem to fall into a gray area since not specifically addressed by HR127 but I do think states can parse them with unique usage regulations since they assist to a speed greater than 20mph.

The national park near me only allows class 1 ebikes. What I do is just unplug my throttle before entering the trails and plug it back in after I leave the trails. I've never even seen any rangers on these trails so have never been questioned regarding my approach but logically, if the only difference between a class 1 and 2 is that the 2 has a throttle ,then unplugging it effectively turns it into a class 1 bike.

The national park near me only allows class 1 ebikes. What I do is just unplug my throttle before entering the trails and plug it back in after I leave the trails. I've never even seen any rangers on these trails so have never been questioned regarding my approach but logically, if the only difference between a class 1 and 2 is that the 2 has a throttle ,then unplugging it effectively turns it into a class 1 bike.

You should print a copy of HR127 and show to the park officials because a complian throttle ebike is federally the equivalent of a traditional bike so in theory they have to ban all bikes or allow class 2 federally compliant throttle bikes on trails. They can claim they are banned but I do not believe it would ever stand a legal challenge.

You have to check with your local codes first. Each municipality can write their own ordinances.

The can write their own ordinances on where bikes are allowed, but if a traditional bike is allowed they can not differentiate an ebike that is compliant with HR127.

In effect they can ban say a throttle ebike is not allowed and if everyone is OK with that it works but it will not legally stand if someone challenges it.

Back