City xform to country roadster.

larry-new

First was the air in the tires...you laugh, but 80#f/90r has its own issues...two inside flats, solved by Velox cloth rim tape, 19mm. Rolls on the center rib of the stock Kenda 2.3".

While we're on tires, next year will see Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 1.5 width. Btw, each width (2.0, 1.75, 1.5, 1.35 has it's own operating pressure.

Next Brooks B17...will allow any riding position, and is comfortable already before fully breaking in.

Today installed drop ends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013G6PB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20180923_165314.jpgIMG_20180923_165336.jpg

What you do not see are a pair of nifty 20mm bar end extensions: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M8YFMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
...necessary to extend the short rh side....they are what the drop bars attach to. They're so neat I may add another pair to the ends of the drops.

Ahh, the drops! I didn't realize how much I missed them....it gives a whole new attitude riding them... actually I ride on the tops mostly, it is good for stretching out, thumbs and wrists wrapped either way, and I brought the stem back to 25* from about zero*, now that there's so many more hand positions. The brakes are accessible from anywhere on the top, and even on the drops, with just my thumbs! Road riding does not have the immediate need for hard braking that more crowded streets do, and I still cover the brakes when encountering any intersections.

The hand numbness that led me to switching from factory to Ergon to these drop grips seems better. A real set of randonneur bars would involve brake lever changes, so this compromise will do for now. Today's ride included multiple stops for adjustments. Missing is a center bar hand grip, due to all the controls and throttle. Oh, well.

When I pull the wheels in the Spring for tire changes, I'll switch the freewheel to something more road friendly...IRD 13-30 should extend the top end a bit. I'm spun out now in top gear at about 23 mph, and only need a little bit more...this will move my top from 85" to 92".

Throughout all this, I'm aware that this is a 60#bike with touring, not racing, geometry...but the rider isn't exactly boy racer either, except in dim memory...it's such fun modifying this sturdy well designed bike!

Since my magnet ring disaster (it doesn't like brake cleaner), I had to invest in a crank puller to install the replacement magnet ring.
Aha! the perfect opportunity to put on a 50t. chainring. Found a good one here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ROG5T2/ref=twister_B07B72KZD7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
reasonable price, made in USA...does not look like pic...very well designed. The 50t. gives me a new 92" top gear, while moving the others down one notch...the low is almost unchanged. Actually, could be done without removing the crank, with some fiddling.

Now I find myself riding a bit faster, more time over 20 mph...it'll make chasing down other riders a bit easier...hehe.

First was the air in the tires...you laugh, but 80#f/90r has its own issues...two inside flats, solved by Velox cloth rim tape, 19mm. Rolls on the center rib of the stock Kenda 2.3".

While we're on tires, next year will see Schwalbe Marathon Plus in 1.5 width. Btw, each width (2.0, 1.75, 1.5, 1.35 has it's own operating pressure.

Next Brooks B17...will allow any riding position, and is comfortable already before fully breaking in.

Today installed drop ends. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013G6PB8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 25932View attachment 25933

What you do not see are a pair of nifty 20mm bar end extensions: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079M8YFMQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
...necessary to extend the short rh side....they are what the drop bars attach to. They're so neat I may add another pair to the ends of the drops.

Ahh, the drops! I didn't realize how much I missed them....it gives a whole new attitude riding them... actually I ride on the tops mostly, it is good for stretching out, thumbs and wrists wrapped either way, and I brought the stem back to 25* from about zero*, now that there's so many more hand positions. The brakes are accessible from anywhere on the top, and even on the drops, with just my thumbs! Road riding does not have the immediate need for hard braking that more crowded streets do, and I still cover the brakes when encountering any intersections.

The hand numbness that led me to switching from factory to Ergon to these drop grips seems better. A real set of randonneur bars would involve brake lever changes, so this compromise will do for now. Today's ride included multiple stops for adjustments. Missing is a center bar hand grip, due to all the controls and throttle. Oh, well.

When I pull the wheels in the Spring for tire changes, I'll switch the freewheel to something more road friendly...IRD 13-30 should extend the top end a bit. I'm spun out now in top gear at about 23 mph, and only need a little bit more...this will move my top from 85" to 92".

Throughout all this, I'm aware that this is a 60#bike with touring, not racing, geometry...but the rider isn't exactly boy racer either, except in dim memory...it's such fun modifying this sturdy well designed bike!
If you could have someone shoot a couple of pictures from different angles with your hands on the drops I would appreciate it. I'm having trouble understanding the comfort with them so far out from center!

Here's a couple:
IMG_20181001_161314.jpgIMG_20181001_161236.jpgIMG_20181001_161218.jpg

You know, alternatively, I could take out the 20mm extenders and use them to extend the drops. I'd just have to move everything inboard a bit, which is easy. It does seem pretty wide.

Taking your advice and moving everything inward 3" total, 1.5" per side.

Last edited:
Thanks. Still not sure I like the idea of being that far from the controls. For my road bike, I added the short vertical horns. I like them because I can lean my open hands against them and not have to squeeze with my hands to keep them on the grips. So that lets me ride with open or closed hands. Evens out the sun tan that way (if I'm not wearing fingerless gloves)! LOL

I'm rarely in the drops, and country roads don't have many times when the brakes need to be covered, but I can ride the tops, and reach the brakes with a finger or two. The discs are so much better than the rim brakes I had before, that even a two thumbs squeeze can be used. The main benefit is the added hand positions...including flat over the brakes, or asymmetric for quartering winds, etc, etc.

Back