Citibike set to relaunch eBikes in NYC

Chris Nolte

So Citibike is set to relaunch in NYC after multiple injuries due to improperly spec’d brakes and poor quality batteries.

As much as I’m not one for regulation. Do we need some form of regulatory body to inspect these devices before they are released to the public again? I know this is a controversial topic, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

A bit more on the story: https://cbsloc.al/2rjZ9S7

I’ll probably make a video about this as this topic is really close to me and I am genuinely concerned about the future of the industry if people keep getting hurt on these poorly designed and manufactured eBikes.

It seems the direction they want to go now is make the bikes as cheap as possible. That didn’t work the first time, let’s see how round two goes.

Great feedback! I’ve never really looked into this sort of thing before so it’s great to hear other perspectives.

So Citibike is set to relaunch in NYC after multiple injuries due to improperly spec’d brakes and poor quality batteries.

As much as I’m not one for regulation. Do we need some form of regulatory body to inspect these devices before they are released to the public again? I know this is a controversial topic, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts.

I’ll probably make a video about this as this topic is really close to me and I am genuinely concerned about the future of the industry if people keep getting hurt on these poorly designed and manufactured eBikes.

It seems the direction they want to go now is make the bikes as cheap as possible. That didn’t work the first time, let’s see how round two goes.

It doesn’t say if they will be using same exact brakes.

What is your opinion about their ebikes or the braking system ?
I rode their ebikes back then , but i know ebikes very well, obviously i never pulled the front brake hard. They were insanely popular , people literally running to nearest one available in order to secure one after finalizing their workday shift.

It may have had to do with people not knowing how to brake. Many people who rode them have never had their own bike ever.
You can’t expect the average Midtown finance type/Wal street/Lawyer type to know what is and how a disc brake works. Those and of course some tourists are the Citybike customers.

Uber through their Jump company has their own ebikes in Ny , but in a limited area, i wonder how those are fairing ?

Did you read my response? I was hypothetically saying what would happen if motors were heavily regulated. They won't be able to introduce new motors all the time like they do now.
For example, motorcycle companies do not produce new motors every year unless Euro 5 or some kind of emission standard kicks in.

I see the articles all the time how expensive it is to completely redesign a motor, or whole vehicle and meet all the government regulations.
Some of the cars or motorcycles do not get updated for more than a decade. Development cost is one, but all the paper work to meet the regulation is definitely a factor.

Thank you for correcting me.
Haven’t even had my coffee yet, i’ve read the replies too fast. I deleted my post.

I don't know. I'm not one for regulation either.

As soon as regulatory body is involved, the technological advancement of ebikes will slow down significantly.
We won't see companies producing new technology or new motor every few months. It will be once every 5 years, if that.

Also, the prices will go up substantially, which will deter people from using ebikes. I for one, if those Chinese bikes (Juiced, Surface 604, Volt, etc.) didn't exist, I won't be riding an ebike.

One example is aviation.
There are companies like Lycoming and Rotax building engine for small aircrafts like Piper, Cessna, Diamond, etc.
Those engine are still stuck in 1950s or 1960s technology. Not even fuel injection, still carbureted, very inefficient... compare to cars and motorcycle engines, aircraft engine are ancient.
Why? Because it will cost them multi-million $ (no joke) just to add one new thing due to very strict aviation regulations.
Some aircraft enthusiasts get away with putting "Experimental" title on their amateur built kit planes, but that's a different story.

IMO, a major reason for small aircraft stuck in old technology has to with as serious a bugaboo as govt. regulation, out of control tort and product liability costs. GARA (General Aviation Revitalization Act) provided there is generally no product liability on small planes 18+ years old. Because product liability insurance is so expensive and the law is so slanted, that is why most small (non-jet) planes and the technology is so ancient. It would be to risky and expensive to build new planes. But for GARA, there might be no small aviation industry. Think twice before sending trial layers to the legislature.

Excellent feedback! I know there are many wise men and women in this forum. I will say from my experience the previous electric Citibikes were pretty terrible and I’m not to optimistic about the new ones.

I guess it really boils down to the idea that some companies will make products as cheap as possible and replace the whole product when it gets worn out. Some will focus on building a quality serviceable product which might be intended to last long term.

I hope that more companies will focus on building quality and serviceable products, but that’s not current day America.

I appreciate everyone that took their time to post here. I want to be clear that I’m not advocating for regulation, it was simply a question in my mind. The other question which comes up, will we see more regulation if injuries increase? My guess is yes and I guess that’s also how we general work, more reactive than preventative.

I am also concerned about even decent ebikes being rented in the wrong areas. Having grown up in NYC and a frequent visitor, I admire the skill of bike messengers and delivers in Midtown. I wouldn't last long; and even at their skill level these are dangerous occupations.

It might be better is rental locations were by safer biking areas. At the least information should be provided to tourists, etc. about appropriate and safer routes. Otherwise it analogous to having double black diamond ski runs unmarked. Of course, biking deaths and injuries are not good for ebiking or tourism in NYC.

Back