Circle tour Victoria to Nanaimo to Vancouver and back to Victoria.

hughresearch

Region
Canada
Late fall of 2020 after mounting a U004 in frame and 48/14 on rear rack I tested range and speed on several day long trips and figured I could easily make Nanaimo from Victoria. I set off very early using only setting 3 on radrover to Brentwood bay to catch the 8 AM ferry and charged the 48V battery during the 1/2 hour crossing. From the terminal I again used only setting 3 and while I had planned to take side roads it was a very foggy miserable day so I just took the highway. Made it to Duke point in about 3 hours (well 4.5 but I spent 1 1/2 hr repairing huge puncture of rear wheel from a rather innocuous looking bit of wood on the road that I was unable to avoid because I was going too fast. I could tell from battery voltages that I was going to have lots of "gas" and let her rip when I switched to the 52 volt battery.) Caught a ferry to Van then caught one back to Victoria. I had chargers with me so I was able to recharge quite a bit on the ferries. An exciting day and am looking forward to summer when I can try more crazy rides. Considering a trailer with solar panel and/or tiny gas generator to make transcontinental trip.

Back