Choosing between motor systems: bosch, currie, yamaha

ACG

Please help me decide which system makes the most sense. Bosch seems the best from his reviews but it's also the most expensive. I'll be commuting 30miles round trip with the option to recharge half way. I've got lots of hills to climb. What do you think?

My votes for Bosch after trying them. I would recommend trying a bike with each system before you buy.. They are all a little different. You could possibly squeeze out 30 miles in a battery charge but I would keep in mind battery size. I do about 20miles round trip but think I could squeeze out 30 miles potentially and I'm in a hilly area.

Reactions: ACG
I don't know about the Currie, don't hear it discussed much.Yamaha is just as good,just different.

I don't know about the Currie, don't hear it discussed much.Yamaha is just as good,just different.

100% agreed on this. You need to try them both. If your cadence doesn't rise above 90rpm, there is not that much reason to spend extra on the Bosch in my opinion. I love the Yamaha personally. Also I'm a big guy and can get thirty miles no problem with the Yamaha, would expect the same from the Bosch as well.

Had a good run out shimano steps, range on 400wh battery will be same as bosch etc. Bikes tend to be cheaper along with spare batteries if needed.

No hills where I live. The times I've done 25 miles the battery was showing well over half left, though that can be deceptive.

Please help me decide which system makes the most sense. Bosch seems the best from his reviews but it's also the most expensive. I'll be commuting 30miles round trip with the option to recharge half way. I've got lots of hills to climb. What do you think?
Given your weight and the hilly commute don't overlook quality of brakes. Hydraulic disc (180mm up front ideally) and mid range quality. Upgrading brakes is not a problem if you do find right bike with poor brakes.

I like the Bosch system but keep in mind that there are three different units.

The Active Line. That's the cheap one.

The Performance Line. Very performant for the city bikes.

The Performance Line CX specially made for VTT.

I've the Bosch Performance Line on my Electra Townie 8i. The average range is around 40 miles on the "Tour " position.

Back