Choosing a rear hub kit

Timpo, while what you say may be possible, I don't know that for sure one way or the other. What I do know is that the electronic "switching" that would be necessary to get that 3 phase motor turning fast enough to go 40 mph may not be possible. That's exactly what limits the high speed potential of a gear driven hub - and the reason guys wanting to go 40 are using direct drive. There was a lot of concern for instance, regarding the ability of the KT controller I'm using (that came from leafbikes) to supply that kind of high frequency switching to let it run at even 25 mph. Knowing that ahead of time, when it came time to test I was as surprised by the fact it did that easily, as was MAC and some others.

Unfortunately, some advice here comes from fellas that have never been near a high-speed conversion.

Get ready to buy a 60V-72V battery and add brakes like Magura 4 piston. A better place for building help with the sort of monstrosity you are interested in can be found in endless_sphere.com. Rix Ryder, a member here, builds out Cyclone kits. With that kit the speeds you want are possible.

Still an eBike?

Screen Shot 2020-08-17 at 10.27.44 AM.png

Thomas, you're right. I stop thinking e-bike conversion well short of anything like this. In my mind, that's not an e-bike. It's some sort of hybrid. Many apologies if our OP was thinking along these lines. -Al

Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I plan to continue my search and when I find something that looks promising I will post it here for review.

Timpo, I don't think a MAC, even a 6t is going to hit 40mph. That motor, with a 5:1 gear ratio, would have to be really humming to go that fast...
Calibike has kits to 6000 watts, they specialize in kits that make 40 mph road bikes. I got a 1000w kit for $275 though all I needed was
the wheel & motor to replace the one on the CCS with worn out spoke bores. they call it 1000w , less torque but higher rpm. it still works
fine, but the CCS is toast, (distortion of the asymetrical stays)

John, a MAC drive is a geared hub. At a certain point, the motor just can't turn any faster, no matter how much power you throw at it. The direct drive hubs don't have that limitation.....

Back