Child trailer that can handle ebike speeds?

Bartleby

I bought a Burley trailer on Craigslist that is probably around 10 years old. It worked fine for a year with my old bike, but recently I got a Supercommuter 8s. After a 16 mile ride at around 20 mph I noticed the right wheel was loose and I tightened it back up. The next time I took it out (with no child in it fortunately) the right wheel popped off mid-ride. Fortunately the wheel slammed into a power pole, I maintained control of the bike and no damage was done, but that shook my confidence in ebiking with a kid. I checked into it and it seems Burley recalled models with that wheel type because it can pop off while in operation, so maybe that trailer was just an unlucky buy?

I'm wondering what trailers you all have found that safely work at ebike speeds. My daughter (3) loved the Burley, if I can get back out with a safe setup I would love to do so.

When I looked, the recall was regarding the tow bar separating, not the wheels. Regardless, Burley used to make their Dlite Trailer in the USA, and they used the same quick releases as front wheel hubs on bicycles.

I bought a Burley trailer on Craigslist that is probably around 10 years old. It worked fine for a year with my old bike, but recently I got a Supercommuter 8s. After a 16 mile ride at around 20 mph I noticed the right wheel was loose and I tightened it back up. The next time I took it out (with no child in it fortunately) the right wheel popped off mid-ride. Fortunately the wheel slammed into a power pole, I maintained control of the bike and no damage was done, but that shook my confidence in ebiking with a kid. I checked into it and it seems Burley recalled models with that wheel type because it can pop off while in operation, so maybe that trailer was just an unlucky buy?

I'm wondering what trailers you all have found that safely work at ebike speeds. My daughter (3) loved the Burley, if I can get back out with a safe setup I would love to do so.

Give this one a thought.

https://thismombikes.net/tout-terrain-singletrailer-review/

My experience with two wheeled kid trailers, albeit years ago, is that they can be tipped over too easily while underway especially on uneven surfaces. The one Ravi suggests seems like a better option. I still would be leery of eBike speeds though but that may mean fewer mph to you than it does to me hopefully.

Thanks all! Ravi, that trailer looks amazing. Definitely expensive but it may be worth it. Has anyone out there used any cheaper / more traditional trailers with any success? And if so is there anything I should look for (such as suspension)?

Back