Cheap vs Quality Tail Lights?

Singer9220

Region
Canada
I know that the optics and reliability differ greatly between manufacturers for head lights. Is the same true of tail lights or am I likely to get just as good of performance with a cheap Chinese tail light as a name brand?

doubtful and often their brightness and such are over rated. I just got a nightrider taillight and this thing is so bring its crazy and it works with any voltage. plus it has 6 modes so set it to what you want and forget about it.

I‘ve used cheap unbranded rear lights in the past and have found that they are not as good for battery life, modes and output.

We use Moon bike lights now and find them to be good in all respects.

DG…

Its a grab bag. You will find a lot of crap and occasionally a star will shine. But you'll have to burn thru some money to find the stars. I wrote up a couple of articles on my front and rear lighting. I used cheapies for years and they worked great. But in the last couple of years I have spent much bigger bucks for a somewhat better solution. How much better is 'somewhat'? Well if it gives me just enough extra edge to keep from being run down, 'somewhat' is a lot. YMMV.

I picked up a pretty average catseye one when I got my catseye front light. Has like 3 or 4 LEDs in it and I doubt anyone has any problem seeing it. It also hasn't needed a battery replacement in the year that I have had it so it is very good about not having bad stand by drain. Before that I had one that had an fancier one with internal battery, bright as hell and even had laser guides for people who ride on public paths, but after ~30 minutes its battery was dead. Plain in simple ended up being just better.

I have a rear seat post rack & bag, so I can't use a rear flashing light that mounts to the seat post.
I presently have a light that I've attached to a strap at the end of the bag. It works okay, but I'm looking for something better.
Preferably, I'd like something that I can attach to the underside/end of my rack.
Any suggestions? It needs to have a flash mode.
I've looked on the internet, but so far haven't come across anything that would be easy to mount and bright enough.

IMG_2356.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2357.jpeg
    IMG_2357.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 75
I've looked on the internet, but so far haven't come across anything that would be easy to mount and bright enough.
You could use half a saddle mount and cable tie it to the underneath of the rear bar of the rack.

Similar to this, albeit this is on the side.
image.jpg

Both Moon Sport and Garmin do these types of mounts, plus their lights are good too.

DG…

I have a rear seat post rack & bag, so I can't use a rear flashing light that mounts to the seat post.
I presently have a light that I've attached to a strap at the end of the bag. It works okay, but I'm looking for something better.
Preferably, I'd like something that I can attach to the underside/end of my rack.
Any suggestions? It needs to have a flash mode.

View attachment 162690
I have the same Arkel rack that I’ve occasionally used on another bike and attached a Bup Labs undermount for a Garmin Varia RVR315 to the rack’s single hole but it could also be used for the RTL515 (with rear flashing light). The arm extended out far enough to clear the end of the rack. I just don’t know if this specific mount is in production any longer.

IMG_20200806_1143307.jpg

An Old Man Mountain tail light mount should work and all you would need is a compatible light.

1694883714580.png

I currently use a Cygolite Hotshot Pro rear flasher which is mounted on the seat stays of this and another bike but not sure if that presents an option for you. The seat stay mount is included with the light kit.

I have a Hotshot Pro light, but the angle of my seat stays make it impossible to set up the mount so the light is facing rearwards, at 90 degrees.

The Old Man Mountain bracket has a slot that appears would accommodate the clip on the back of the Hot Shot Pro. How far it extends out to clear the end of Arkel rack is another question. Might be worth a call to the LBS in Victoria.

Web capture_16-9-2023_142019_www.incycle.com.jpeg

I never ride at night but I want to be visible to other bikes or vehicles during the day. The headlight and taillight on my bike are very good but I don't want to use them because they are always on and I don't have any other option other than leaving them turned off. For rear visibility I bought a Vya Pro taillight from Light and Motion. It's USB rechargable and it flashes only when the bike is moving because it is motion sensing.

I just priced that mount on Amazon.ca.....$19.30 Can :eek:
Our economy and Canadian dollar are going down the sh*tter.

Unfortunately, that mount won't work with my rack, but maybe with some modifying........
I used the center hole on that mount to put a bolt through the spot where the rack's reflector used to be. But, yeah, there are a whole bunch of mods you can do to the plastic to adapt it. And the light itself comes with a post mount that's in two pieces, so if you have a left to right bolt hole you might be able to use that as well.

Unfortunately, that mount won't work with my rack, but maybe with some modifying........
I think the way to go is get a good light; Garmin, Moon Sport, Cygolite as they have a good mounting system.

Then buy a suitable mount, similar to these shown and, as you thought, with a little bit of fettling and modifying, it will work.

Happy hunting.

DG…

My two 2016 Radrover didn't come with a wired rear light. I added the USB Vis 180 Light & Motion rear light. This light is very bright, has a pulse instead of steady light, one charge lasts a long time, and it has a low lumen light yellow option for riding in a group (so the light doesn't blind riders behind you in a group). I added a Topeak MTX rack bag and was able to attach the Vis 180 to rack bag drink holder just like in the picture above. I added a second Vis 180 light to the rear of my bike helmet for added night time visibility when work commuting at 5am.

Vis 180 for rear light, Go Brightz LED bike light for side illumination, and NiteRider Enduro Pro 3600:
Vis 180.jpg

side light.jpg

Back