Charging cell phone off ebike in sub-zero temperatures

Dmitri

So as you probably know, charging in sub-zero temperatures is generally not safe. Which is why my cell phone refuses to charge as soon as temperature drops to below about −3°C.
Question: if I really want to charge it and have it on the handlebar, is there some system for doing this? I mean, some sort of pouch that is cold-proof (keeps phone temperature at around 20°C) but at the same time shows the screen and lets me use the phone with a finger? Or am I imagining something that cannot exist?
Also, do I also need to insulate the USB cable somehow, or is it only the cell phone itself that needs protecting?

Maybe 1 or 2 of those hand warmer packets strapped to the back of your phone. Might need a little insulation as that is close to the battery. Might over heat cells. GL

Might a good application for the Topeak Phone Drybag:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yck2wqdo

Most phones generate some heat while charging. When enclosed in one of these dry bags, that heat generation might be sufficient to keep it charging if you start out with the phone at room temperature. If it gets cold enough to stop charging, put the phone in your pocket for 5-10 minutes to warm it up.

The USB cable does not need to be kept warm.

I have an iPhone 6S Plus and have a Mophie battery case that 2X-3X my battery power time. I can recharge my iPhone from the phone case with a switch of a button, or with micro USB (recharges the phone and battery case at the same time), or I use almost any type of induction charger: http://www.mophie.com/

Case/battery pack might give you additional battery life where you might not need to recharge as you ride. I've noticed my ebike USB can barely replace the power that is being used if I use GPS apps for tracking my ride. I get a faster recharge of my iPhone if I'm parked and plugged in.

I've just had bad luck charging phones from bike/battery USB ports, not enough current, and it's exasperated in colder weather. I'm watching this thread with interest for ideas.

I have an iPhone 6S Plus and have a Mophie battery case that 2X-3X my battery power time. I can recharge my iPhone from the phone case with a switch of a button, or with micro USB (recharges the phone and battery case at the same time), or I use almost any type of induction charger: http://www.mophie.com/

Case/battery pack might give you additional battery life where you might not need to recharge as you ride. I've noticed my ebike USB can barely replace the power that is being used if I use GPS apps for tracking my ride. I get a faster recharge of my iPhone if I'm parked and plugged in.
Interesting, the Morphie site is geo-locked and simply won't open for anyone from Russia. Had to use a VPN. Looking at the power ratings, the extra battery case would double the battery life of my phone.
I've just had bad luck charging phones from bike/battery USB ports, not enough current, and it's exasperated in colder weather. I'm watching this thread with interest for ideas.
Well the bicycle typically only provides 500mAh which is barely enough to charge your phone provided it's idle and no apps are running in the background. The only power solution I can think of is just buying an 18650 case on DX (they sell those with USB outputs) and the buying genuine 18650 cells.

Back