Charging a CCS

Don't use fast charge on the 12.8 Ah battery. You'll cook it. Not enough capacity to absorb a fast charge without damage. However, with the Cycle Satiator, you can set it for a 2 amp charge and 80% cut-off if you wish.

I believe the adapter shown is the one you want.

Don't use fast charge on the 12.8 Ah battery. You'll cook it. Not enough capacity to absorb a fast charge without damage. However, with the Cycle Satiator, you can set it for a 2 amp charge and 80% cut-off if you wish.

Thanks for the reply. I asked Juiced Bikes and I just needed to confirm on the adapter ( they don’t carry it). Juice did say I could charge at 4 amps.

What do you think of the Luna charger and which adapter would I need ?

Luna uses an XT 60 connector. They also sell an XT 60 to 5.5 barrel pin adapter. Not a bad option if you are looking for an 80% charge.

Unless the BMS is rated for a higher AMP charge but 2A will be the best for longevity. Typically 5A is the highest for most batteries BMS. Check with the seller.

The smaller battery is only 4 parallel strings vs. 6 in the in the bigger batteries. That means each 18650 cell would see 50% more charging current in the smaller batteries.

Yes, if you can find a 3-pin to 4-pin XLR adapter that should work. I should mention that if you buy the Cycle Satiator through Juiced Bikes I don’t know what cables they include. If not, they should include the 5.5mm to 4-pin XLR adapter with the stock 2A charger.

What rate can the new battery on the RipCurrentS 48V 19.2AH battery be charged at using the Cycle Satiator? Can it handle the fast charge? If not what is a better charging rate.

What rate can the new battery on the RipCurrentS 48V 19.2AH battery be charged at using the Cycle Satiator? Can it handle the fast charge? If not what is a better charging rate.
Sadly they don’t post complete info, however, lower charge rates can help lengthen battery life. Juiced says 40% faster than a 2A basic charger. I wouldn’t consider anything faster than 4-5A. But after several years i’ve found a second battery an better route allowing me to charge at ideal rates and percentages. Great price on the Satiator, $299 free shipping!

Sadly they don’t post complete info, however, lower charge rates can help lengthen battery life. Juiced says 40% faster than a 2A basic charger. I wouldn’t consider anything faster than 4-5A. But after several years i’ve found a second battery an better route allowing me to charge at ideal rates and percentages. Great price on the Satiator, $299 free shipping!

Thank you.

I am using a Luna charger with the 17.4a (4-pin XLR) battery. Juiced ships with a 4-pin XLR to 5.5mm adapter (that's how they make the 4-pin XLR work with their own charger). So, you don't need to worry about adapting to 4-pin XLR, you just need to adapt from whatever your charger is putting out to a 5.5mm, which is thankfully way more readily available than anything for 4-pin XLR. Luna sells the required adapter for their charger to go from XT60 (their charger's output) to 5.5mm.

Here's my setup:

View attachment 20571

And before someone points it out, I know this picture shows a fully charged battery, which would defeat the purpose of having the Luna charger. But I took this picture right when I received the Luna, when my battery was already charged to 100% on the stock charger. I have the Luna set to 80% charge and it's been working great!
I am using the same Luna charger. I actually cut off the XT60 connector and attached the 5.5 mm barrel connector that Luna sells. So the stock and Luna charger have the same setup. If I want to charge the 19.2 battery I use the juiced adapter (barrel to XLR). The only thing I don’t like about the Luna charger is the noise. It Is not fanless like the Satiator but has a fan that is rather loud.

I am using the same Luna charger. I actually cut off the XT60 connector and attached the 5.5 mm barrel connector that Luna sells. So the stock and Luna charger have the same setup. If I want to charge the 19.2 battery I use the juiced adapter (barrel to XLR). The only thing I don’t like about the Luna charger is the noise. It Is not fanless like the Satiator but has a fan that is rather loud.

I bought a Luna charger as well to use at work. The charger came with a bare female XT60 connector plugged into the male end.. I bought a 4pin XLR from Amazon for less than $5, cut a length off an old extension cord and soldered the XT60 on one end and the XLR on the other. I've run recording studios professionally for almost 30 years, so I have considerable experience with a soldering iron, but is is a very basic project. It took me less than 10 minutes. Juiced has a pinout diagram for the XLR on their site, and the charger has a label telling you which wire is positive and which is negative. If someone is averse to soldering it themselves, it would be a very small favor to ask of an acquaintance who had the soldering chops.

I tried and failed at the soldering approach. :) I suck at soldering and have little patience, and I destroyed that same $5 Amazon 4-pin XLR connector. Part of the issue was that I was trying to replicate what the stock connector has, where each wire was soldered to 2 of the pins, which, after seeing the pinout chart from Juiced, wasn't necessary.

Anyway, if others are soldering-adverse like me, the problem is easily solved with a $7 part from Luna (https://lunacycle.com/xt60-male-to-barrel-male-plug-adapter/) if the Luna charger will be your only charger.

If you still want the stock charger as a backup, then you also need this $19 connector from Juiced (https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/dc-connector-adaptor) so that you have a 4-pin XLR connector for each charger.

@Chuck E. Cheese is right, it's really not a hard soldering job at all and if I hadn't gotten impatient and destroyed the connector in the process (all my soldering sent too much heat through the pins and deformed some of the plastic casing) I would have had it working. But if you're the type of person like me where parting with $25 to let someone else worry about the problem sounds like a good idea, you can avoid the DIY route.

I tried and failed at the soldering approach. :) I suck at soldering and have little patience, and I destroyed that same $5 Amazon 4-pin XLR connector. Part of the issue was that I was trying to replicate what the stock connector has, where each wire was soldered to 2 of the pins, which, after seeing the pinout chart from Juiced, wasn't necessary.

Anyway, if others are soldering-adverse like me, the problem is easily solved with a $7 part from Luna (https://lunacycle.com/xt60-male-to-barrel-male-plug-adapter/) if the Luna charger will be your only charger.

If you still want the stock charger as a backup, then you also need this $19 connector from Juiced (https://www.juicedbikes.com/products/dc-connector-adaptor) so that you have a 4-pin XLR connector for each charger.

@Chuck E. Cheese is right, it's really not a hard soldering job at all and if I hadn't gotten impatient and destroyed the connector in the process (all my soldering sent too much heat through the pins and deformed some of the plastic casing) I would have had it working. But if you're the type of person like me where parting with $25 to let someone else worry about the problem sounds like a good idea, you can avoid the DIY route.

I actually used the solderless barrel adapter. Makes the job real fool proof. D5F76E5E-095F-4AF0-99BB-8D3EFD20167B.jpeg

Yes, that works well on the other end, if you're not trying to make a 2nd 4-pin XLR connector. :) No solderless 4-pin XLR connectors, unfortunately.

Yes, that works well on the other end, if you're not trying to make a 2nd 4-pin XLR connector. :) No solderless 4-pin XLR connectors, unfortunately.
Should have added that I have two batteries, the 12Ah Standard and a 19.2 (albeit defective). So I can use the same charger for both, using the juiced adapter for the larger one. I initially got the charger to charge the 19ah battery to 80%, but have started to use it on he 12Ah battery to charge to 90%.

@SlowRider what voltage is 80% on your 19ah battery? My 19ah battery will peak around 56.5 V, which seemed to disagree with a table I see pop up around these forums every once in a while... and I just looked at the advanced display on my bike and it showed 4000+ Wh, which makes absolutely no sense.

@SlowRider what voltage is 80% on your 19ah battery? My 19ah battery will peak around 56.5 V, which seemed to disagree with a table I see pop up around these forums every once in a while... and I just looked at the advanced display on my bike and it showed 4000+ Wh, which makes absolutely no sense.
Ah, or amp hour is not a value used to determine percentage of charge. If you have a 48v (13s) battery 100% charge is 54.6v. 52v (14s) would be 58.8v. Those are the numbers to use as 100% capacity.

Back