Changing the chainring on a Juggernaut Classic HD

fillerupmac

Biktrix is located in Saskatoon, Canada. I've never been there but looking at a topo map, it looks pretty FLAT. A "hill" tops out at about 350 feet (100 meters give or take). I live in Colorado Springs, at the foot of Pikes Peak, our local 14,115 foot (4302 meters) "hill". I commute to work, only a couple miles, but there's a 350 foot change in elevation just on my daily commute. I enjoy riding to work, but it's all uphill on the way home. ALL UPHILL. That's why I got me an ebike!

Roshan ships the Juggernaut Classic HD(2019) with a 46 tooth chainring, and I'm sure that works just fine for them FLATlanders. Here in COS there is a fair share of hills, and mountains, and in some places it's a struggle to pedal, even in LOW gear.

So I checked with Roshan, and he recommended a 36 tooth chainring. "Great" says I, "send it to me!" (A couple days go by... no response). "Send it to me!!"... (Couple more days go by...), and a weekend... I try one more time - no response. So I figure they must be pretty busy selling them bikes for a couple grand, and don't want to drop everything just to send me a $100 chainring. So I ordered it from Luna, and I had it a few days later.

Time to swap chainrings. I have never done this before, but it can't be too difficult, right? Looks like 5 screws, remove the pedal, slide the chainring off over the crank arm... uh oh - that's not gonna fly. Looks like I need one more tool, a crank puller! Another visit to Ebay, a few days later I got the tools AND the part. Takes about 5 minutes to swap the two chainrings - COOL BEANS!! That means if I am ever biking in the FLATlands, I can be ready to go in 5 minutes! But for now, I can go and really enjoy some real mountain biking around here!
Al

Yep the stock Bafang chainring is often changed out by folks riding hilly offroad or cities with lots of climbs. For most people, the stock ring seems to do just fine (typical town+city riding, or countryside stuff).

I'm also from Saskatoon and do prefer the bigger rings typically. More pedal input at upper cruising speeds, and higher top speeds. Only one hill climb in my whole commute so no problem!

Biktrix is located in Saskatoon, Canada. I've never been there but looking at a topo map, it looks pretty FLAT. A "hill" tops out at about 350 feet (100 meters give or take). I live in Colorado Springs, at the foot of Pikes Peak, our local 14,115 foot (4302 meters) "hill". I commute to work, only a couple miles, but there's a 350 foot change in elevation just on my daily commute. I enjoy riding to work, but it's all uphill on the way home. ALL UPHILL. That's why I got me an ebike!

Roshan ships the Juggernaut Classic HD(2019) with a 46 tooth chainring, and I'm sure that works just fine for them FLATlanders. Here in COS there is a fair share of hills, and mountains, and in some places it's a struggle to pedal, even in LOW gear.

So I checked with Roshan, and he recommended a 36 tooth chainring. "Great" says I, "send it to me!" (A couple days go by... no response). "Send it to me!!"... (Couple more days go by...), and a weekend... I try one more time - no response. So I figure they must be pretty busy selling them bikes for a couple grand, and don't want to drop everything just to send me a $100 chainring. So I ordered it from Luna, and I had it a few days later.

Time to swap chainrings. I have never done this before, but it can't be too difficult, right? Looks like 5 screws, remove the pedal, slide the chainring off over the crank arm... uh oh - that's not gonna fly. Looks like I need one more tool, a crank puller! Another visit to Ebay, a few days later I got the tools AND the part. Takes about 5 minutes to swap the two chainrings - COOL BEANS!! That means if I am ever biking in the FLATlands, I can be ready to go in 5 minutes! But for now, I can go and really enjoy some real mountain biking around here!
Al

Sorry about this! Your email got caught in our spam box. I should check spam more often! Apologies. But glad you got it sorted out. Luna does make some nice rings.

Yep the stock Bafang chainring is often changed out by folks riding hilly offroad or cities with lots of climbs. For most people, the stock ring seems to do just fine (typical town+city riding, or countryside stuff).

I'm also from Saskatoon and do prefer the bigger rings typically. More pedal input at upper cruising speeds, and higher top speeds. Only one hill climb in my whole commute so no problem!

Me too. I'd like one around a 52 tooth .

UPDATE on new chainring:

This new 36 tooth chainring is just perfect for around Colorado Springs! This week I made a couple trips down to Cheyenne Mtn Park, to ride the single tracks there. These are narrow, twisty, trails on the southeast side of Cheyenne Mountain that I have hiked in the past. I found out that ebikes weren't allowed in this park until about a month ago. Perfect timing! (See here: https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail/us/colorado/talon-sundance ) These trails are surounded by various pines and lots of Gambel's Oak (or scrub oak). Until the scrub oak lose their leaves you can easily meet hikers or bikers head on at corners. Anyway, I'm not in a rush, enjoy the views, and spend a lot of time in 1st or second gear, and PAS 4 to 7 (out of 9). It's a blast!!

Back