Chain Noise?

tallpaul

So I've had my 2016 Full7 Bosch powered Haibike for about a year and 1400 miles of total enjoyment!
Only issue is what seems like chain noise. It used to be so quiet, the only noise being the rubber hitting the road. But over the last several hundred miles it has developed a noise that only occurs while I am pedaling. Brought it over to my Haibike dealer (around the corner from where I live!) and they changed out the chain and put a new bearing in the small sprocket equalizing system which helped but not entirely, and now, a hundred miles or so later the noise is back. A friend mentioned that she has the same noise from her Full7.
I keep the chain and sprockets clean and well lubricated. I ride 99% of the time on bike paths but very little off road.
Any ideas? Could my cluster need replacing? Could it be coming from the motor? Any help very welcomed!

I wouldn't expect to be replacing anything at that mileage.
Did you have to pay for the repair work or was it still under warranty.
I have over 7000k on my Haibike and still on original chain.

Thanks Rocky for your reply.
Wow, 7k miles! Amazing. Nope, no warranty coverage, the chain and bearing, I was told, are normal wear and tear items, I guess like brake pads. The cost was reasonable so I didn't get into it.
But the unfortunate part was that it did not fix the noise. It was reduced, but then came back within a 100 miles of riding. The local Haibike dealer (around the corner from where I live, said he contacted Haibike and they said to just keep the chain lubed more often like after every ride.. Not a really satisfying answer as I do keep the chain and gears, and the whole bike for that matter, clean and well lubed where needed. I have been trying to get in touch with Haibike, which it seems is under the Raleigh distributorship company in the US but keep getting a recording that they break for lunch and call back later, only to get the same message.
I intend to stay on this, and will report back here any outcomes.

I'm not very familiar with the Bosch system.
Mine are both Yamaha which is quite different.
Would the chain be touching the guide on the small pulley.

Attachments

• Haibike_2017_Technic_SES_thump.png
    Haibike_2017_Technic_SES_thump.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 702
Does the noise change in different gears.
For example is it less noticeable when you are in the centre of the rear cassette than on the large or small gear.
I hope that makes sense.

Usually seemed a bit louder when I was in a high gear (larger rear sprocket).
Did get thru to a Haibike tech today and he wanted me to see if the noise was present if I powered off while riding.
And it definitely was quieter which leads me to think it is in the motor.
I'll try to get back to the tech on Monday and see what he has to say, and report back here.

Thank you again for your interest.

I had a great ride today and was beginning to try to resign myself to living with the noise but that'll be hard 'cause I feel it is something that is wrong, needs adjusting, or ??

Hmmm, I did a tune/clean up and replaced my tires/tubes. I put on Maxxis Minion DHF 27.5x2.5 tires and they are outstanding. I noticed a significant decrease in drive train noise with the tune and lube. My motor makes some noise but nothing more than when it was new. I'm at 1350 miles now. Good luck and let us know what works out for you.

Wow, looks like I just got bit by the chain stretch.
Rode it last week and put it up for the weekend.
Took it down today and it puttered immediately.
Up on the bike rack to find the chain is skipping and not seating on the small cog above the motor.
No damage to any teeth but I'm not going to take a chance.
Chain replacement tomorrow, 1500 miles on my 2016 Haibike XDuro Fullseven S Pro.

Back