CCX Off-Road and Tire Size

OP, have you looked at Schwalbe's Marathon Plus Tour, Mondial and Energizer Tour? Good tread pattern compromise for gravel and dirt, and 28x1.75" is considerably wider than most cyclocross tires.

OP? Isn't Sheriff Taylor's kid?? (Sorry...had to do it.)

Have only looked at the Schwalbe Marathon Plus as I think it is now standard on the CCX. However, I checked some posts on other threads and saw that you took a pretty good spill on those and you wondered out loud if the Marathon Plus's might have contributed. I appreciate your suggestions and L's link to gravel tires mentioned previously. So, I have some forum research work to do.

FWIW, I took the turbo como 2.0 I talked about out for another test ride today and am becoming more convinced that a hub drive with throttle would be a better choice for me at this point skill-set wise. I am a motorcycle guy with a fair amount of backwoods and road experience (member of the Iron Butt Association) but am discovering that what I find intuitive after years on a motorcycle does not perfectly translate to bikes...except maybe the use of a throttle to keep my speed up in soft dirt, sand, focusing on weight distribution in gnarly situations, etc. Today I did a wheeley going up a steep incline while in power level 3 (the highest on the Como) and a low gear and you can probably guess what happened. Offered to pay for the loaner helmet as it was cracked in two. They wouldn't let me as I think they were just glad I wasn't injured. It was a good learning experience but I think if I had a throttle I would have treated it more like a motorcycle and had my weight shifted even more over the handlebars. I wonder how my 68 year old body is going to feel tomorrow.?

This bike stuff is gonna be fun.

Steve

Back