CCS 52V Stolen: Should I replace with a CCX or CCS 48V? Or find another brand?

nerdymobile

Long story, but my CCS 52V version (that they offered for a short period) was stolen from my garage.

I was having Error 8 issues with it before it was stolen, so if there's any silver lining to it being stolen, the thief now has to figure that annoying issue himself ;)

My debate now is whether to replace with the CCS 48V, get the CCX (which is basically the spec equivalent), or switch brands to something else that is a bit more reliable.

My primary use is for commuting - 12 mi each way, some decent hills. It would seem the 48V is sufficient for this? I can charge at work if need be. I'm more inclined to get the CCX only in hopes that newer model = more solved problems, but not sure if that's a fair assumption.

I'm not sure that anything else meets the specs for the money - I've looked at Magnum and Rad as the next closest maybe.

Magnum has better reliability. If not get out from the lower priced ebikes zone and invest in a Haibike, Bulls, Bh easy motion. That’s Tier 2.
I’m in this zone but now i am working hard to get to the next level-Stromer-Tier 1 ebike.
Just for the anti theft prevention mostly. Even when i lock mine And cover it , i’m still in doubt....

I had a Stromer ST-2 for over year (3800 miles). It was in the shop a lot, as were many other ST-2s. My CCS has worked great (1 year, 2100 miles). Not as strong as the ST2 but considering it is $4k less....

Well, the CCS no longer being restocked settled the question with which Juiced model. Now it's a question of whether to jump ship to another brand or hope the CCX issues have all been resolved. I just want a trouble free, fast commute.

Here's the thing: "the CCX issues" aren't the CCX issues. All we know is that some of them have had problems. If it were "CCX issues", most would have the same problems. But we have no basis to make that claim.

It gets back to the nature of quality control. No one, anywhere, in any field, ever achieves consistent 100% quality control.

Every ebike manufacturer is going to have some QA problems. Given a certain design, with certain components, those problems will tend to repeat around certain features. If a manufacturer has achieved 99% QA (pretty dang good!) then 1 out of 100 is going to get a bike with those problems. If they sell 10,000 of that model, that means 100 people get screwed. If 10 of those people come to this forum and complain, it sounds like there are "issues," if the data aren't evaluated well.

"Man, I keep hearing that same story about the CCX, over and over." True. But in this scenario, the odds are still 99 to 1 that you'll get one of the problem-free bikes.

Many have been sold, trouble-free. The odds of getting one of those are pretty good, even if we don't have exact sales figures and service figures to go by.

Man, I'm glad I had a great statistics teacher and have the tools to evaluate data.

So I don't know if you want to take the risk. No one can say what's right or wrong. Even if we had complete and accurate data, which we don't, your risk assessment is the only one that would count -- for you.

I'm just trying to give you a tool to use in your risk assessment. It applies to any brand you look into.

Well, the CCS no longer being restocked settled the question with which Juiced model. Now it's a question of whether to jump ship to another brand or hope the CCX issues have all been resolved. I just want a trouble free, fast commute.

I had and have great succes with Bh easy motion.
The Nitro city does 32-33mph @90-95rpm in level 4 or 5 with a 52ring. Orig. has a 48big ring. In 3.5k miles zero issues. The 2018 and beyond ebikes from them are bulletproof reliable and quite appealing.

Here's the thing: "the CCX issues" aren't the CCX issues. All we know is that some of them have had problems. If it were "CCX issues", most would have the same problems. But we have no basis to make that claim.

It gets back to the nature of quality control. No one, anywhere, in any field, ever achieves consistent 100% quality control.

Every ebike manufacturer is going to have some QA problems. Given a certain design, with certain components, those problems will tend to repeat around certain features. If a manufacturer has achieved 99% QA (pretty dang good!) then 1 out of 100 is going to get a bike with those problems. If they sell 10,000 of that model, that means 100 people get screwed. If 10 of those people come to this forum and complain, it sounds like there are "issues," if the data aren't evaluated well.

"Man, I keep hearing that same story about the CCX, over and over." True. But in this scenario, the odds are still 99 to 1 that you'll get one of the problem-free bikes.

Many have been sold, trouble-free. The odds of getting one of those are pretty good, even if we don't have exact sales figures and service figures to go by.

Man, I'm glad I had a great statistics teacher and have the tools to evaluate data.

So I don't know if you want to take the risk. No one can say what's right or wrong. Even if we had complete and accurate data, which we don't, your risk assessment is the only one that would count -- for you.

I'm just trying to give you a tool to use in your risk assessment. It applies to any brand you look into.
If car manufacturers would go by your stats we would have had a lot cars stuck on the road.
They most likely in order to be reliable should be at 99.89-99.95 % reliability.
Say if Haibike made 100.000ebikes and only 100 had issues that would be 0.1% bikes with issues, but b/c is so many people that is so and so , most likely recAlls and the owners would get a small $ credit for the issue.
Juiced will never do a recall on their ebikes, but look at the bigger brands , I remember when Stromer had the issue with the St5 stem, they asked all the owners to visit the dealer and have it fixed.
Now imagine Bmw having 1milion cArs produced and if going by your 99% , then 1% is 10.000cars with issues !!
10k drivers complaining....never ! At least not for German/american/european cars or ebikes. household items/tools and so on...
that’s why the magin of error is even lower :0.1% -0.3% or lower then 0.1%.
- the item has to come out of the factory trouble free for millions of them over and over...that is called quality control. In China that needs to be worked on.

Last edited:
If car manufacturers would go by your stats we would have had a lot cars stuck on the road.
They most likely in order to be reliable should be at 99.89-99.95 % reliability.
Say if Haibike made 100.000ebikes and only 100 had issues that would be 0.1% bikes with issues, but b/c is so many people that is so and so , most likely recAlls and the owners would get a small $ credit for the issue.
Juiced will never do a recall on their ebikes, but look at the bigger brands , I remember when Stromer had the issue with the St5 stem, they asked all the owners to visit the dealer and have it fixed.
Now imagine Bmw having 1milion cArs produced and if going by your 99% , then 1% is 10.000cars with issues !!
10k drivers complaining....never ! At least not for German/american/european cars or ebikes. household items/tools and so on...
that’s why the magin of error is even lower :0.1% -0.3% or lower then 0.1%.
- the item has to come out of the factory trouble free for millions of them over and over...that is called quality control. In China that needs to be worked on.
The principle I'm stating works no matter what the figures are. I only chose 99% because it's an easy number to work with and makes the point, not because I believe it to be accurate.

Juiced Bikes might have 99.99% quality control, or it might have 80%. I don't know, and neither do you.

The point is, you can't read online stories about several people having the same problem with a product -- any product -- and then say "that product is flawed." Because no one achieves 100% quality control.

Also, I think you're overly optimistic about how good the auto manufacturers are. Just for example...

Yes , as far as making a full conclusion based on some instances that is a mistake on part of some.

But Juiced has and keeps having issues. I read earlier here about another ebiker who’s Juiced ebike rear wheel stopped working only after one month and the company refused to send him a new one instead asking him to send the bad one back first... that’s how you loose customers.

I bought a CCX but sold it, if I bought another it would probably be a Juiced bike because of the quality and price of the bike. My main issue was just going 37mi or so using throttle only. That's an 18mi ride just one way then needing to head back. That's way too short of a distance for my liking. When batts get to 100mi range using throttle only I'll be game again about buying another. That time is not far off maybe 5 years or so the way tech is advancing. Juiced gets my vote anytime for a buy! Until the batts get better range it's gas for me.

Back