Carrying photography gear on a ride

I use this, you can custom fit it with the optional TrePac divider system. I use mine for my ebike and side x side. https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/cases/carry-on-case/protector/1510?sku=015100-0150-110 https://www.pelican.com/us/en/accessory/cases/trekpak-case-divider-kit/1510tpkit This case is water/dust proof and floats. It is also an airline approved carry-on.
This looks like a good solution for my pro camera equipment. What kind of ebike do you use it with, and how do you attach the Pelican? I'd love to see a photo of your setup, thanks!

Great thread ! Can’t believe I didn’t see it when searching. Photography has long been my main hobby, long before bikes, made enough money with a few widely published images for the hobby to be self supporting for many years. I’ve been thinking about riding places with a subset of my gear, but I mostly like riding very fast on the open road, so I’m thinking a custom triangle bag would be the best combination of aerodynamics and center of gravity. I do sometimes ride my creo with a heavy backpack on a circuitous trip home after work, but unless there was something more breathable out there i don’t think I’d choose that.

I’m thinking of semi rigid narrow triangle which would hold my Nikon Z7 and a couple of primes, in a single “layer”, tucked above the very fat downtube of the Creo. Might be bad in strong crosswinds.

@aschlabach - I'm fairly new to electric bikes, having purchased my first one only a year ago. But, I've been a professional photographer for decades, so here's my thoughts.

Personally, I'd invest in a safe at the studio to store the cameras in over night if you feel that you can't leave them there overnight. You may be able to write off a safe on your taxes. That way you can get whatever eBike you would most enjoy riding.

If you are planning to transport that much gear back and forth because you need equipment at home and at the studio, then I'd recommend buying two camera kits and if needed, two computers. If you need to shoot during the day and edit at home, then only transport the laptop or better yet use Dropbox or an SSD to transport image files back and forth if you need to edit them at home. Keep in mind you get to write off the money you spend on cameras/computers/hard drives/image storage. Also, you can get whatever eBike you would most enjoy riding. I buy most of my Nikon gear refurbished from Nikon, the gear looks like new and has the same warranty, it just comes in a brown cardboard box instead of a black and gold one. Occasionally Nikon offers an extra 10% discount on refurbished gear, just today I saved $700 on a refurbished lens versus a new one.

If you really need to transport all that gear back and forth, then the only way I'd feel comfortable doing so is to put everything in foam lined, rigid case(s) that I could securely attach to a very sturdy rack or basket. Others with more eBike experience may have some other great suggestions, but I'd recommend looking at 'cargo' style bikes, especially ones with a large basket in front so you can see that your precious cargo is safe and sound. Even if you do get a cargo bike and pelican cases for the gear, you will still be subjecting your gear to a good deal of vibration and temperature/humidity changes every day. I always keep a camera and a few lenses in my vehicle and that gear and the batteries that power it are more likely to need repair/replacement than the gear I keep at home.

Whatever you decide, I really encourage you to get an eBike, it's a life changer. Please keep us posted on whatever solution you decide is best for you.

I am really a terrible photographer and a weight-weenie as well.

I do have a Fuji X-A5 mirrorless that is pretty decent, and I have an aftermarket belt case that's well padded, has bomb-proof stitching, has exactly the same interior dimensions as the camera, and has a rain bag. It's a little unwieldy, but I'm going to use it on some exploring-type rides-- it takes stunning shots for what it is, but I find the end user interface to be absolutely maddening, and touch-screen to be horribly unergonomic. I'm forever mysteriously winding up in the wrong mode.

I dislike using mobile phone cameras because I just hate smart phones, even though I absolutely have to have one for my business. I won't spend more than $200 on one, usually more like $150, and I keep them at least three years, often four or five. On phones that cheap-- and actually, any phone with a screen protector-- touch screen is not very reliable for photography, I've seen my buddy with a high-end iPhone stabbing his finger at the button just like I do on with my 2018 Galaxy J3 junker whatever. (Which, by the way, has been incredibly reliable, has outstanding call quality and reception, despite being Samsung's rock-bottom product.)

But trying to manage a touch scereen while shooting wildlife is maddening-- and, unlike either good phone cameras or my crappy little point-and-shoots, when the results are bad on the J3, they're not fun-bad, they're just ugly and unusable.

I'm going to work on my skills with the X-A5, but for most rides, I prefer point-and-shoots. I have five different aftermarket holsters in various sizes, and I can't even tell I'm wearing a camera on my hip. Zippers not velcro, but all are a fast, one-handed draw. My bike is underpowered, it cost me $250 to get my bike down to 46 pounds from 49, I don't want to add even 100 grams if I don't need it. I ride stupid light-- 10-ounce water bottle, Allen wrench kit, tire sealant/inflater, mobile phone, non-sunglasses for after dark, tiny (but powerful) front headlight and rear light, emergency dose of medication, microfiber sweatshirt in under-saddle bag.

I love old point-and-shoots-- my Canon S90 is just so much fun, but I recently decided it was too big and heavy for e-biking and went back to my tiny Sony DSC-W800... which, I think, has got to be one of the worst digital cameras ever made.

I'm highly amused by the results when I tweak the image with shareware to try to pull out any detail. (I'm always riding at twilight, so it's low light + small sensor, a really bad combination.) Hey, I grew up in the '70s, I like psychedelic art... but honestly, even as someone who loves bad photography, I think I'm losing my patience with the W800.

Just yesterday, I actually ordered a new/old stock PowerShot Elph 100 HS for $60.

I hope it's a real stinker-- terrible in all the right ways. I'll find out in a week or so.

Only way I’d carry my Canon 5D w/L series lenses is a Pelican or similar case (x2) side mounted to my Racktime rack. Backpacks are not a good plan especially if you fall. I lugged photo/video gear around for decades from helicopters, vehicles, inside reactor bldgs, and hard cases were required most of the time.
That said, I am now a dedicated iPhone shooter.
9293F694-7B13-4AE4-92D2-F7A8A9E4908D.jpeg
81B37FAB-EEA6-41AF-BD23-2183327B5E3E.jpeg
A0A424B9-718D-4DA3-8238-97D5BE405092.jpeg

Back