Carrying case for Qualisports Dolphin and Volador

Kathy Smith

Does anyone know if there is a carrying case that would fit either the Volador or the Dolphin? I would love to keep the bikes in their cases when I put them folded in the car so they don't bang around. Any ideas?

Good question. I was a bit jealous to read that the Brompton's can fit into a standard IKEA garment bag of some sort, and slide cleanly under a bed, or into a trunk. Our bikes are not as compact when folded. There are some 20" folding bike bags on Amazon, but I don't think they'd necessarily be big enough. Qualisports makes one for the Volador, but the Dolphin is approx 35"x 28"x 17" when folded without racks. A tailor might be able to custom build something out of canvas and cargo webbing (Sunbrella online $25/yard), or if you're handy, you could make one easily. I'd also recommend a $10 rear derailleur guard if you were planning to routinely fold and pack on its side. The rear derailleur hanger is made of a very soft alloy and bends really easily.

Last edited:
Good question. I was a bit jealous to read that the Brompton's can fit into a standard IKEA garment bag of some sort, and slide cleanly under a bed, or into a trunk. Our bikes are not as compact when folded. There are some 20" folding bike bags on Amazon, but I don't think they'd necessarily be big enough. Qualisports makes one for the Volador, but the Dolphin is approx 35"x 28"x 17" when folded without racks. A tailor might be able to custom build something out of canvas and cargo webbing (Sunbrella online $25/yard), or if you're handy, you could make one easily. I'd also recommend a $10 rear derailleur guard if you were planning to routinely fold and pack on its side. The rear derailleur hanger is made of a very soft alloy and bends really easily.
Thanks. I might get the Volador bag and research something else for the Dolphin. Is there any specific rear derailleur guard I should get or pretty much any of them will do?

Thanks. I might get the Volador bag and research something else for the Dolphin. Is there any specific rear derailleur guard I should get or pretty much any of them will do?

I haven't done this yet, but it's on my to do list when my local reopens. Any would seem to be better than nothing...40-50mm Shimano (not SRAM), and longer provides more protection than shorter. I'd go steel over aluminum or other softer metal. Attaching a road/mtn bike protector on a 10-15mm slotted hubmotor ebike axle would be the trickier part. It would prob require dremeling out a notch to slide it easily under the 10mm side of the hubmotor axle, rather than doing surgery on the hub motor connectors. It's surprising there isn't one made specifically for ebikes with hub motors, as @Court keeps making this a point in his EBR videos. If someone has abetter solution, please post it!

Last edited:
Too bad there isn't one that wouldn't require any extra work. I might ask my bike shop to do this for me
If you're not planning to use the fenders or rear rack, then there would be two vacant M6 eyelets that would make it easier to install one of the eyelet-mount derailleur guards and skip the dremel/metal saw hassle of an axle mount. Those look like they might need to be adjusted a bit as well.

Back