Cargo Ebike with a 6 yr old - Need a Monkeybar/Caboose?

CargoEd

I just bought a Radwagon to ride with my daughter that is 6 years old. Do I need a caboose or will she be safe enough with handle bars to hold on to? My wife is worried that with a speed of a ebike she won't be safe without some safety bars around her an it may offer more protection from cars. ButI feel like she is old enough to hold on fine with some handle bars attachments. My daughter has been riding her own bike for about a year so she is comfortable on a bike.

I just bought a Radwagon to ride with my daughter that is 6 years old. Do I need a caboose?

Yes, get their accessory bars if you need to get them, This Seattle parent mentioned difficulty finding compatible accessories from other brands that could fit the RadWagon cargo deck.

If you do not want bars but your wife would like more safety than a grab handle, consider the aluminum accessory deck and Yepp EasyFit adapter to fit the Yepp Junior seat that fits a child from 5-9 years old and comes with bolt-on footpegs, it's probably a good investment to get the accessory deck for when you sell the bike because a future owner would then be able to fit Yepp child seats for younger and older children. The back of the Yepp Junior seat is cut out which this reviewer said their child found uncomfortable. Alternatively the Polisport Junior seat or the Qibbel Junior seat do the same job but with a full seat back and do not need the accessory deck and adapter. Check the measurements with the manufacturer before you buy, but I suspect both will fit because the Polisport is designed to clamp onto racks up to 175mm wide and the Qibbel onto racks up to 180mm wide, the Radwagon deck is 6.75" (171mm wide). This reviewer reported clamp-on seats scratch up the rack/frame paintwork so if that matters get the Yepp seat instead. Another rack seat for older children is the Bobike Junior but it does not fit onto the Radwagon deck only racks up to 160mm wide.

Last edited:
Thanks so much @Dewey for the details, this is great information! I looked at the Qibbel but it said the rack pipe diameter needs to be smaller than 16mm and the radwagon is 12. I bought the Polisport so hope it fits, it didn't mention the max diameter and the installation video looks like it should fit.

Yes, get their accessory bars if you need to get them, This Seattle parent mentioned difficulty finding compatible accessories from other brands that could fit the RadWagon cargo deck.

If you do not want bars but your wife would like more safety than a grab handle, consider the aluminum accessory deck and Yepp EasyFit adapter to fit the Yepp Junior seat that fits a child from 5-9 years old and comes with bolt-on footpegs, it's probably a good investment to get the accessory deck for when you sell the bike because a future owner would then be able to fit Yepp child seats for younger and older children. The back of the Yepp Junior seat is cut out which this reviewer said their child found uncomfortable. Alternatively the Polisport Junior seat or the Qibbel Junior seat do the same job but with a full seat back and do not need the accessory deck and adapter. Check the measurements with the manufacturer before you buy, but I suspect both will fit because the Polisport is designed to clamp onto racks up to 175mm wide and the Qibbel onto racks up to 180mm wide, the Radwagon deck is 6.75" (171mm wide). This reviewer reported clamp-on seats scratch up the rack/frame paintwork so if that matters get the Yepp seat instead. Another rack seat for older children is the Bobike Junior but it does not fit onto the Radwagon deck only racks up to 160mm wide.
Hi! I am new to the forum and obviously this is an old post..but, i just ordered a Radwagon4 and was hoping to get some guidance on bike seats. The yepp is clearly an easy choice for this bike considering the that the rack is constructed to conveniently install the yepp. However, the yepp is super expensive and as you've noted in this post, there are many other european brands that could possibly work. I am trying to figure out which seats to get based on the dimensions of the Radwagon4, but unfortunately Rad hasn't posted, nor given me, the information. They were unable to verify the width of the rack and the diameter of the tubing in that part of the bike. So, i'm wondering if the new bike differs from the previous edition in these aspects. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

From the review of the RadWagon 4 I think I recall them saying the rack had been redesigned to incorporate the Yepp window which is just for that brand seat to snap into, other brands will require either an adapter or need to clamp on some other way. Two Wheeling Tots rate the Bellelli Pepe as their top budget pick, however like many bike seats it comes in two versions, one that mounts to the frame, the other to its own special rack that won’t fit on a RadWagon, so if the frame mount version is your only option you’ll need to research if that’s possible. But unless you can get the rack dimensions from RadPower you’ll have to measure it when you get the bike or post on other brand forums like https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...powerowners/&usg=AOvVaw3-ObC3lOAyj9HlmY-5iO0Y or https://www.radowners.com/ to enquire if someone with a RadWagon 4 can measure up the rack for you, then please post them here so other parents can benefit from your experience. I also recommend reading the TWT bike seat buying guide to understand what to look for with frame mount rear seats.

Last edited:
Back