Carbo Folding bike thoughts on indigogo

taro

Hey guys,

I am about to pull the plug on the folding ebike Carbo at indigogo https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/carbo-the-world-s-lightest-folding-electric-bike/x/11913501

But wanted to gather some thought from this community to make sure it was a wise purchase, i actually contributed for the Mate X campaign https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mate-x-most-affordable-fully-loaded-folding-ebike/x/11913501 but asked for refund when the carbo campaign started as it fit my lifestyle more with half the weight.

Key feature for this bike are:
  1. 13kg only
  2. battery completely hidden in the frame and seatpost (80KM range possible)
  3. Torque sensor
  4. throttle
  5. speed can be unlocked for over 30km/h speed
  6. 9 speed shimano or single speed belt.

Last edited:
My biggest concern would be the hinge and latch. Doesn't appear to be a lot of material in that area, and they don't give a close up for what I can see. Doesn't appear to be too much ground clearance when the pedal is at the bottom of the stroke. Overselling on crowd funded projects will also likely mean some delays. Little start ups and large demand are not the friendliest situation. Also interesting that they have user comments and they aren't in production yet.

For most of these campaigns, someone is making a group buy of an existing bike from China. The development work is having decals made up. There's a guy on one of the Facebook bike groups with the exact same seat post battery in a alloy folding bike that ships today out of California.

It's not likely they really want to be around to support you after they sell out the containers. If you get (a) timely delivery and (b) a good sample, and (c) no price increase from the 25% tariffs, be happy.

All of that said, the features are pretty nice, but put it in an alloy frame for me. I don't see them getting much more than 6AH into the battery, but that should be good for 15 miles.

I built one from a folding bike and all I can really add is that if you want a folding bike, that is a good looking one. Far sleeker than mine.

Hi Kilimats

Did you decide to purchase the Carbo bike? I decided to get the X. I've been looking at folding electric bikes for over a year and decided the Carbo had the features I was looking for. I like the belt drive and the weight of the bike. Also, the hydraulic disc brakes were something I liked. Hopefully they will deliver a product that is as described in their videos.

If it holds up, it sounds like a great advance for a city bike. I'll be following its progress.

There are quite a few promises being made here. Noted there is no brand specific fo yet.

If you want to ride any hills, will there be enough power? Small wheels, no suspension, you will have to stay on smooth paths and keep your speed down. Will there be any support? I guess I am very careful in my old age.

For most of these campaigns, someone is making a group buy of an existing bike from China. The development work is having decals made up. There's a guy on one of the Facebook bike groups with the exact same seat post battery in a alloy folding bike that ships today out of California.

It's not likely they really want to be around to support you after they sell out the containers. If you get (a) timely delivery and (b) a good sample, and (c) no price increase from the 25% tariffs, be happy.

All of that said, the features are pretty nice, but put it in an alloy frame for me. I don't see them getting much more than 6AH into the battery, but that should be good for 15 miles.

My 2 cents-We have an EasyGo Street which comes equipped with a 6AH battery and we are getting a consistent 25-28 miles on a full charge at an average speed of 12 mph. Surprisingly pretty good distance on mostly flat terrain.

My 2 cents-We have an EasyGo Street which comes equipped with a 6AH battery and we are getting a consistent 25-28 miles on a full charge at an average speed of 12 mph. Surprisingly pretty good distance on mostly flat terrain.

Is that pedal assisted range? Because Carbo is claiming 28 miles full electric.

Is that pedal assisted range? Because Carbo is claiming 28 miles full electric.

Yes, that is all PAS range for a 120 lb rider on mostly flat terrain. 28 miles on a 250W motor full electric with a 6AH battery sounds sensational. Perhaps between rider and bike weight, could be possible??

I've taken a lot of data on my ebikes, measuring how many miles/AH we use on my rides. These are 250-500W hub motor bikes, 40-50 pounds with 150-200 pound riders. No hills. Typical is 5-6 miles/AH. So I think the carbo guys are honest with a 28 mile estimate, but this is going to be pedal assist with the motor putting out 100 watts. Fairly easy pedaling and speeds around 13 mph.

If you own a 20" folder with thin wheels, you don't tend to ride them fast. In fact, most are not good bikes for a novice to test ride. The small wheels, quick steering, and acceleration scared my buddy last summer and he almost went into the weeds.

Hey guys,

I am about to pull the plug on the folding ebike Carbo at indigogo https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/carbo-the-world-s-lightest-folding-electric-bike/x/11913501

But wanted to gather some thought from this community to make sure it was a wise purchase, i actually contributed for the Mate X campaign https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mate-x-most-affordable-fully-loaded-folding-ebike/x/11913501 but asked for refund when the carbo campaign started as it fit my lifestyle more with half the weight.

Key feature for this bike are:
  1. 13kg only
  2. battery completely hidden in the frame and seatpost (80KM range possible)
  3. Torque sensor
  4. throttle
  5. speed can be unlocked for over 30km/h speed
  6. 9 speed shimano or single speed belt.

Cool bike on indiegogo, however, the big question is will it live up to all of their claims made for this product? Personally, I do not think I would jump into this kind of campaign. To many unforeseen issues that can arise, even if you are getting a substantial savings as an early contributor. Love the concept though. Hope it makes it in the market to expose some of the claims made to be true.

Hi Kilimats

Did you decide to purchase the Carbo bike? I decided to get the X. I've been looking at folding electric bikes for over a year and decided the Carbo had the features I was looking for. I like the belt drive and the weight of the bike. Also, the hydraulic disc brakes were something I liked. Hopefully they will deliver a product that is as described in their videos.

I think it says that optional features include a rack. Priorities' new bikes have the major features, too, which I also have been holding on for over a year: under 30lbs and rolls when folded; folds and 20" or less wheels; common street legal standards; plenty of internal hub drive-belt gears for hilly Portland; enthused engine.

I would be interested too on the gear range and getting up steep hills with the 250 watt motor. I was told it has 52T ring on front and 11-28 9 speed shimano (cassette or freewheel, not sure) on back. Just wondering if a 350 w motor would be better or just get a wider cassette on the rear for hills?

That folding bike looks WAY too Light Duty to be practical. If the rider is Light weight, then Maybe it might perform, But Many of us would Break that toy in a week. ??

I just chatted with them online and they could not answer my question regarding getting up a steep 20% hill for a 144 pounder with the 11-28 cassette efficiently with a 250w motor. Would I be grinding up the hill in pedal cadence with pedal assist and or throttle? Or would I need a 11-36 cassette instead of going with 350w motor which would be more expensive and heavier? The agent said to email [email protected] for any tech questions.

Consider This instead ! ridescoozy.com

Attachments

• e95cb5dff01c3453fe6ed1d3b3d562a9b929729f.jpg
    e95cb5dff01c3453fe6ed1d3b3d562a9b929729f.jpg
    690.4 KB · Views: 531
  • 151f2ade4b58b17136fc0dc254dff380b378f817.jpg
    151f2ade4b58b17136fc0dc254dff380b378f817.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 708
  • a6f3535f081c00b905b59810b03cf2a994871109.jpg
    a6f3535f081c00b905b59810b03cf2a994871109.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 477
  • e8b88b557a0707fc49cf5bf85a8cc8fa93ddf802.jpg