car replacement dilemma

For the length of your commute and the terrain there are an enormous number of options available to you.

The idea of a compact cargo bike like the Tern GSD ought to be pretty appealing to you:

Roadside fires? I don't think there have been many of those here.

I imagine this place would seem nicer if you are coming from the midwest. Before we moved here we lived in Colorado, Miami FL, and Raleigh NC. Miami wasn't great, but Raleigh was a bike commuters paradise.

whannah-Are we on the same page? Livermore is a city in Alameda County, California, correct? Strange that you are a resident and you have not seen this. I'll have to find out exactly what area of town he is referring to.

For the length of your commute and the terrain there are an enormous number of options available to you.

I appreciate all the suggestions of specific bikes, but I was mostly hoping to hear about people's experience of actually making the decision to switch away from a car. I've read a lot of articles by now about the various benefits, which I'm totally sold on, but I haven't come across anyones story that seems similar to mine, specifically where there's considerable uncertainty in the next few years about whether a bike commute is even possible. Or even better, I'd love to find someone who made the switch with small children and hear about the challenges they ran into.

But again, I also really appreciate the specific bike suggestions since I'm only beginning to research this stuff.

whannah-Are we on the same page? Livermore is a city in Alameda County, California, correct? Strange that you are a resident and you have not seen this. I'll have to find out exactly what area of town he is referring to.

Yea, it's in Alameda county. Maybe we just haven't been here long enough to see it. It does get really dry and hot in the summer, so it wouldn't surprise me.

I appreciate all the suggestions of specific bikes, but I was mostly hoping to hear about people's experience of actually making the decision to switch away from a car. I've read a lot of articles by now about the various benefits, which I'm totally sold on, but I haven't come across anyones story that seems similar to mine, specifically where there's considerable uncertainty in the next few years about whether a bike commute is even possible. Or even better, I'd love to find someone who made the switch with small children and hear about the challenges they ran into.

Try Sarah Kopper's Family Pedals podcast, she interviews people who make the switch to being car-lite or car-free. The episode last August with Chris Wharton who lives in Gilbert, AZ near Phoenix was inspiring, he sold their second car and now rides on canal-side trails with two kids in a Burley trailer to drop them off at daycare, and bikes to work. At the 32 minute point of their interview he talks about some of the challenges he faces.

Last edited:
You're a scientist. I see a work bench in your pic. I see tools. Put a light $200 geared motor on a older bike. Leave the one you have alone. Add an inexpensive battery. Gotta be engineers where you work that can help too.

A half hour ride ought to be easy, at 12 mph,, and you can pedal the thing 6 miles if something happens.

See if it works for you. You're not out a lot of money if it doesn't.

If you're interested in a cargo bike/people mover, you might also consider the Pedego Stretch. Here's Court's review:

https://electricbikereview.com/pedego/stretch/

There have been upgrades since this review was published. For instance, I saw one recently at a local dealer and it had pads on the seat and back rest, making it more comfortable for a passenger. Built pretty strong and lots of ways to haul stuff on it.

So on the commuting question: My wife and I both use ebikes for commuting and errands. It has been only 2 months but so far so good. We have committed to selling our 2nd car to our daughter when she graduates from nursing school in May, so we are only using one car now to get used to it. We don't have dreadful winters here but have had to contend with freezing temps and precipitation during this time. Not that different from Livermore; I was a bicycle messenger in San Francisco in the 1970s and winter weather in that part of CA was much like it is here in eastern NC. Our summers are a lot hotter and more humid, so we'll have to contend with that. "There is no bad weather, only bad clothing" as they say in Finland.

Her commute is 8 miles round trip, mine is 14. She rides a Pedego City Commuter and I ride a Juiced Bikes Crosscurrent S. You might like the CCS if you like that road bike, it's pretty sporty. You could easily knock out that 6 mile commute in 15 minutes, which is not too shabby.

Happy to share more if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
@Bicyclista, Thanks for the recommendations.
I hadn't looked at the cargo bikes seriously yet, but I never considered the possibility of putting people on the back. That's a game changer!

You would not be able to bring your baby along for the ride until he/she can wear a helmet, so if you got a cargo bike now, you're not carrying the family for a good 18 months.

I think you should just get the cheapest decent quality e-bike with a throttle that you can find. The Juiced CrossCurrent S ticks the boxes, and being relatively well-known and in demand, if you need to sell it, I'm sure it would be easy to find a buyer.

You would not be able to bring your baby along for the ride until he/she can wear a helmet, so if you got a cargo bike now, you're not carrying the family for a good 18 months.
That's what the AAP suggest but some parents put infants in a car seat in a box bike or trailer, Thule made an infant sling at one point, I think we started at 1 year in a trailer when my child could wear a helmet.

That's what the AAP suggest but some parents put infants in a car seat in a box bike or trailer, Thule made an infant sling at one point, I think we started at 1 year in a trailer when my child could wear a helmet.

Fair point, but then he wouldd need a box bike (expensive and not particularly fun to ride as a "normal" bike) or trailer. The OP and his wife aren't even sure about e-biking at this point. Why not try the low cost option first and see if it works out before making a huge commitment?

Very cool! But it's $1500, and shipping it to the USA would add hundreds more.

It is a lot for what is a fiberglass tub with a wheel on one side and a pivot bracket on the other, but one of the few bicycle sidecars that's not a BMX sidehack or Xtracycle SideCar folding cargo deck, also there's an Italian one and I think that's it.

But yeah OP could get a budget ebike and tow a child trailer bought used from Craigslist.

Try Sarah Kopper's Family Pedals podcast, she interviews people who make the switch to being car-lite or car-free. The episode last August with Chris Wharton who lives in Gilbert, AZ near Phoenix was inspiring, he sold their second car and now rides on canal-side trails with two kids in a Burley trailer to drop them off at daycare, and bikes to work. At the 32 minute point of their interview he talks about some of the challenges he faces.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for!

I think you should just get the cheapest decent quality e-bike with a throttle that you can find. The Juiced CrossCurrent S ticks the boxes, and being relatively well-known and in demand, if you need to sell it, I'm sure it would be easy to find a buyer.

Good point about kids being big enough for a helmet. I probably won't actually need to use the bike as a kid carrier unless my wife goes back to work, which she isn't planning on doing for awhile.

My wife is more concerned about those rare times when I might need to get home quickly, or run to the doctors office. I'm not really worried about those kind of things, but I think this is what gets a lot of "car enthusiasts". They can easily think of some extreme scenario and then use it to justify whatever car they want. But then again.... I've never had kids, so I don't know what I don't know.

Thanks for the rec on the juiced bike, they look pretty good for the price. I don't get the point of a throttle though. I would probably only use the pedal assist.

Thanks for the rec on the juiced bike, they look pretty good for the price. I don't get the point of a throttle though. I would probably only use the pedal assist.

You said your previous experience with bike commuting felt burdensome. Having a throttle would remove the burden of pedaling. You wouldn't have to use the throttle; it would merely give you the option of riding the bike like a scooter. So it was merely a suggestion on my part to help you get over the fear or trepidation you are expressing.

You said your previous experience with bike commuting felt burdensome. Having a throttle would remove the burden of pedaling. You wouldn't have to use the throttle; it would merely give you the option of riding the bike like a scooter. So it was merely a suggestion on my part to help you get over the fear or trepidation you are expressing.

Oh I see. I actually just meant the time spent commuting became a burden and not being able to swing by the grocery store on the way home without going out of my way, but I love being on a bike. It's so much better than being stuck in a car.

There were some days when I was only commuting by bike where I'd be super tired and then by the time I got home I lost all motivation to do anything but lay on the couch.

I think an e-bike would solve both of these problems because I could cover that distance in the same time (or less) while only exerting a fraction of the effort.

One of our former salesmen who has two young children and runs a daycare went car free about 4 years ago. I do not see him very frequently any more but last time I saw him he said it was working very well for him. Both him and his wife own Stromer ST2 they use Burley and custom made trailers. The also have a Spicy curry. He said he would never go back to owning a car. Madison is a very bike friendly city with an extensive trail system, much easier to get around with a bike. The weather is not so bike friendly but I know a lot of year round riders even with children. I see him riding around and he sure looks happy with his decision.

Hey! Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but I'd like some input on my situation from current e-bike commuters.

I'm 33 and in pretty good shape, currently living in a suburban area (Livermore CA). My commute is 6.5 miles (1-way) and flat. I have lightweight steel frame road bike that I built. Its a great bike and I love riding it. Here's a picture from when I first built it.

View attachment 20402

As of last week we had 2 cars and I would bike at least once a week, but more when the weather is better. It was a great setup that I planned to continue for a long time, but then I found out my car's engine was toast! I had only put 5k miles on the car, but the factory warranty didn't transfer (thanks hyundai...) and so after a lot of research I decided to unload the car at a loss.

So now I have this transportation dilemma. My wife works from home so I can use the other car when I need to, but we are expecting our first kid in October and I don't really want to strand her without a car (she's not a big biker anyway). I hate the idea of buying another car, but I've tried commuting 100% by bike and that 13 miles/day becomes a burden after a few weeks. Also, I'm really forgetful! I can't even begin to count the number of times I've gotten to work and had to run back home for something I absolutely needed.

This all led me to think that an e-bike would solve my problems, since I could commute by bike more often without being so tired at the end of the day. BUT, my wife dislikes this idea because our life is so uncertain right now. The housing cost in the bay area is probably going to drive us out in a couple years. And even though I love living within biking distance, we both hate this redneck town and have thought about moving somewhere that would require a car commute. The one thing thats keeping us here now is my career as a climate scientist, which I don't want to give up.

So, in short, the uncertainty of my situation is keeping me from commiting to an e-bike.

Has anyone here found themselves in a similar situation?
If so, what did you do?
Any and all anecdotes are amiably appreciated. (<= check out that amusing accidental alliteration!)
Here's a usable math formula that might help:

Formula 1 (W/C=<B)
Formula 2 (est days/C =<B)

W = WARRANTY
C = COST
B = Cost of Bus
Computing Formula 1 explained: Determine expenditure (price you're willing to pay for a bike). Find best warranty for that cost (i.e. cost = $1500/2yr waranty) That's 1500/730 (total number of days). That's $2.05 per day. Is that cheaper than bus fare to and from work?

Computing Formula 2: Estimate the number of days you will have to use the bike for it to be cost effective. For example, you could use a price point and determine how many days you would have to use the bike before it is cost efficient or if it is cost prohibitive. You could use the two-way bus fare cost as your anchoring (stable comparative pricing). If the cost of bus fare (round-trip) is $4, determine how many days you would have to ride your bike before you reach that cost point. Is that less than or greater than the warranty (hint: break down warranty by number of days (NoD)?

Formula 2 is more accurate, as it considers "usable" days, rather than total days)

I could go further into variants that you would have to control for (i.e., cost of charging), but I won't

Up until 2014 I rode a carbon fiber (no motor) bike to and from work: 34 miles round trip, 1000ft elevation. Then I calculated gas savings against knee replacement surgery.

Knee replacement surgery is far more cost prohibitive than even the best e-bike.

I also have another formula that calibrates cholesterol levels and cost point; however, it is too complicated to post.

I hope that helps

Here's a usable math formula that might help:

Formula 1 (W/C=<B)
Formula 2 (est days/C =<B)

W = WARRANTY
C = COST
B = Cost of Bus
Computing Formula 1 explained: Determine expenditure (price you're willing to pay for a bike). Find best warranty for that cost (i.e. cost = $1500/2yr waranty) That's 1500/730 (total number of days). That's $2.05 per day. Is that cheaper than bus fare to and from work?

Computing Formula 2: Estimate the number of days you will have to use the bike for it to be cost effective. For example, you could use a price point and determine how many days you would have to use the bike before it is cost efficient or if it is cost prohibitive. You could use the two-way bus fare cost as your anchoring (stable comparative pricing). If the cost of bus fare (round-trip) is $4, determine how many days you would have to ride your bike before you reach that cost point. Is that less than or greater than the warranty (hint: break down warranty by number of days (NoD)?

Formula 2 is more accurate, as it considers "usable" days, rather than total days)

I could go further into variants that you would have to control for (i.e., cost of charging), but I won't

Up until 2014 I rode a carbon fiber (no motor) bike to and from work: 34 miles round trip, 1000ft elevation. Then I calculated gas savings against knee replacement surgery.

Knee replacement surgery is far more cost prohibitive than even the best e-bike.

I also have another formula that calibrates cholesterol levels and cost point; however, it is too complicated to post.

I hope that helps

Thanks Leon. The bus routes don't work for me, so I would need to use a different formula, but I like where your head's at.

So if I understand you correctly, did you buy an e-bike to avoid the knee surgery?

Back