Can't find what I'm looking for, Help

thewilliamsquad

Region
USA
I'm having trouble finding the best e-bike for me. I'm looking for all the following in one bike 1) hub gears, 2) mid drive, 3) throttle, 4) upright riding position, 5) aggressive tires. If anybody can point me to a particular bike or manufacturer, i would be eternally grateful, thank-you!

Welcome! Don't get stuck on number 5. Tires are easy enough to swap out. With number 1, should I take it that you want an Internally Geared Hub(IGH)? Such as a Nexus 8? Do you have a price point? Are you handy? Here is one that I recently made electric. It contains all the mentioned points, except for the IGH. The battery slides into and key locks in the bottle cage.

Attachments

• Jones2.JPG
    Jones2.JPG
    393.4 KB · Views: 122
  • Jones3.jpg
    Jones3.jpg
    840 KB · Views: 135
Very vague. What are the riding conditions you plan on using? Casual bike rides? Commuting? Downhill racing? Single track? Long distance?
Also as PedalUma mentions, tires on a bike can be swapped out and should be less of a concern.

Very vague. What are the riding conditions you plan on using? Casual bike rides? Commuting? Downhill racing? Single track? Long distance?
Also as PedalUma mentions, tires on a bike can be swapped out and should be less of a concern.
Also, a stem riser with back swept handlebars can totally change the riding position from hunched and stiff to upright and comfy, for like $50 or $60, so don't sweat that piece either. FYI better bikes don't need a thumb throttle, they have foot throttles like in a Tesala, because they measure accelerator pedal pressure and amplify that signal instead of thumb pressure, which is boring. Push Foot, Go. The term is torque sensor. Sometimes I make bikes with both a thumb throttle and a torque sensor. Here is one with an IGH, torque sensor, thumb throttle and Dutch riding position, it has 85 Nm of torque output. About 100 Nm is the far limit before major drivetrain problems. The best bikes do not look clunky and are silky smooth, intuitive to ride.

Attachments

• Breezer8.JPG
    Breezer8.JPG
    584.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Breezer91.JPG
    Breezer91.JPG
    840.9 KB · Views: 124
Not too hard..... here's 2 that come to mind. Mid drive throttles can be hard to come by. You'll find they're standard, or at least optional on most by Bafang powered bikes

It just installed an aftermarket throttle on the M600 Bafang motor. It was plug and play but you have to route one of the wires all the way back to the motor.
Hard part will be internal routing of said wire!

It just installed an aftermarket throttle on the M600 Bafang motor. It was plug and play but you have to route one of the wires all the way back to the motor.
Hard part will be internal routing of said wire!
Both of my Bafang throttles plugged in to the main 4:1 harness up near the rest of the connections (brakes & display). One harness did have the throttle lead doubled back and plugged into the hole it came from to conceal it. I don't know as there's another place to plug a throttle in on the ones I have.

A huge challenge on these is to replace a shift cable. It is because the gear sensor is buried down in a pit under the battery. The answer is to grab it with needle nose vice grips and to use a big loop of tandem cable. I know what it is like working in that pit of despair. Well done @ruffruff! Sometimes when replacing thru-frame, I will cut the old wire or housing and heat shrink some brake cable to it. Then I have a fish wire to pull the replacement.

A huge challenge on these is to replace a shift cable. It is because the gear sensor is buried down in a pit under the battery. The answer is to grab it with needle nose vice grips and to use a big loop of tandem cable. I know what it is like working in that pit of despair. Well done @ruffruff! Sometimes when replacing thru-frame, I will cut the old wire or housing and heat shrink some brake cable to it. Then I have a fish wire to pull the replacement.
I was thinking about that, but I want to keep the old wire/connector intact in case I'd every want to go back to stock for some reason??
Going to try the classic cable fishes, first....if you hear a loud scream it's me pulling my hair out!

hear a loud scream
Swearing is highly helpful. I have a pile of powerful wheel magnets for speed sensors. I will often make a slight hook on one end of spare brake cable and make a woven loop at the other end and I will feed it thru-frame, while guiding it with magnets. When I twist the loop, it twists the slight hook the same degree. Once feed, I will build up the cable with fine gauges of heat shrink tube to make it almost at thick as the wire I am pulling. Then I use a larger diameter of heat shrink tube over both the stainless cable and the wire that I am pulling. I will just pull the loop end and I am done. I drilled this bike and went thru-frame when I did the build. If you zoom you can see the battery wire emerging from the back side of the top tube. The display wire emerges from the down tube about 90mm from the right head tube. Don't worry about going back to stock. You will need to do some of this when you upgrade the shifter and derailleur. I am digging the 11-50, Box Three Prime Nine group sets on M600's

Attachments

• MarinWireless1.JPG
    MarinWireless1.JPG
    353.7 KB · Views: 115
I was thinking about that, but I want to keep the old wire/connector intact in case I'd every want to go back to stock for some reason??
Going to try the classic cable fishes, first....if you hear a loud scream it's me pulling my hair out!
My experience has been that bulkhead below the battery is only held in place by 3-4 screws. Inconvenient for sure, but geez, not a show stopper?

There IS a chance that the shift detector has been installed between the motor and the frame. THAT'S a pain in the butt - as it's a guarantee you have to drop the motor. Not a huge deal, but you have to be really careful when reassembling as it's pretty easy to pinch a wire/cable/brake line between the motor and the frame. Realizing you've done that is a darn good reason to scream....

it's pretty easy to pinch
I once pinched a display wire between the motor and a frame. At start up it fried the internal controller. My advice is to work with chop sticks and needle nose vice grips, if you have to, while dwelling for eternity in the Pit of Despair, before dropping the motor in exasperation. I f-up more than most.

Not too hard..... here's 2 that come to mind. Mid drive throttles can be hard to come by. You'll find they're standard, or at least optional on most by Bafang powered bikes

Not a bad price for those components and at 61 lbs its not a huge paperweight...

I'm having trouble finding the best e-bike for me. I'm looking for all the following in one bike 1) hub gears, 2) mid drive, 3) throttle, 4) upright riding position, 5) aggressive tires. If anybody can point me to a particular bike or manufacturer, i would be eternally grateful, thank-you!
Try Ravi at Zen bikes
The bike is not on their website yet, but later on this Spring he will be offering an ebike with a mid-drive motor, belt drive, throttle, and hub gears.
I've just ordered one for my wife.
MP Ravi on this forum, if interested.

Try Ravi at Zen bikes
The bike is not on their website yet, but later on this Spring he will be offering an ebike with a mid-drive motor, belt drive, throttle, and hub gears.
Try Ravi at Zen bikes
Thank-you everyone! Deacon, your post is especially helpful, that belt drive is a nice touch, but idk what "MP" is, sorry my newbie is showing

Thank-you for the suggestions, I'm now wondering if Mid-drive, throttle, IGH, and now I'm adding Belt-drive, are exclusively high end solutions?

So can I update this to read Step-Thru, Fatty, Mid-drive, IGH, & Throttle ?
Not sure of your question - regarding diamond vs. step through? I thought you might be interested in their entire line so you could see what they (the manf) have to offer?

I see biktrix has at least one step-thru mid-drive fat bike with a throttle. I think you're going to have trouble getting that last item though - IGH. They tend to be only on higher end bikes generally speaking. You might want to reach out to Biktrix and see if they do custom orders.

I see biktrix has at least one step-thru mid-drive fat bike with a throttle. I think you're going to have trouble getting that last item though - IGH. They tend to be only on higher end bikes generally speaking. You might want to reach out to Biktrix and see if they do custom orders.
Something like this?

Back