Canopy added to hybrid etrike/scooter for some weather protection

Rudy Pekau

Region
Canada
For one of my hybrid scooters pictured in an earlier post I built a canopy for some weather protection.
It is made of a 1.5 mm Lexan sheet as a windshield , some aluminum angles and thin walled corrugated Plaskolite sheets.
The canopy is removable and can be mounted in 15 minutes.

For windy or stormy weather additional Lexan sheets can be added with hinges on the top of the canopy.
They are vertical and protect from the sides and can be folded onto the top of the canopy. Alternatively
flexible transparent tarps can be used for the sides which can be rolled up and stored in the trunk.
Access to the trunk (storage area for groceries) in the rear is by a separate cover which is opened
from the rear.

When pedalling the power level for each wheel can be adjusted from 1 to 5. The pedals do not drive the
rear wheels, there is no chain.It is a hybrid .The pedals work like an exercise bike, but pedalling is optional. If you do
not pedal the power for each wheel is controlled by a throttle, there are three throttles.The throttles
for the rear wheels are operated simultaneously to avoid side pull, but due to a long wheel base and a small
width the side pull is marginally.

The bottom of the vehicle is open but can be closed with additional Plaskolite sheets.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    362.5 KB · Views: 153
In large cities in China where electric scooters have been commonplace for more than a decade the people often use a special cape that covers them and their scooter and has a clear window in the front. I was surprised at how quiet all the scooters were until I realize that they all had electric motors. Pedestrians and bicyclists and scooter users all had their own road area with no cars or buses or delivery trucks were permitted.

In large cities in China where electric scooters have been commonplace for more than a decade the people often use a special cape that covers them and their scooter and has a clear window in the front. I was surprised at how quiet all the scooters were until I realize that they all had electric motors. Pedestrians and bicyclists and scooter users all had their own road area with no cars or buses or delivery trucks were permitted.
That might be even lighter but the sideview through the cape might not be as good. But if it is foldable it
can be easily transported, a great idea we can learn from them. Own road area with no cars is the only way
to go for micromobility as they now also starting to do in Europe.

Oh, I had the idea you went on throttle only most of the time since you have 3.
Most of the time I ride with power level 1 for the two rear wheels , that is sufficient for
flat level pathways, if there is a gentle uphill section or a bit of headwind I add the
front wheel with power level 1. For gentle hills I use the front wheel throttle, for steeper
sections I use either the two rear wheel throttles or all three throttles, works great !

Interesting setup.
Another e-trike with semi enclosure for weather protection just arrived : Envo Veemo from Vancouver, Canada, check out Envodrive.com and Veemo.com,with a tadpole design, (two wheels in the front, one wheel in the back ), or read up on the SARIT vehicle from Frank Stronach in Ontario, Canada

Another e-trike with semi enclosure for weather protection just arrived : Envo Veemo from Vancouver, Canada, check out Envodrive.com and Veemo.com,with a tadpole design, (two wheels in the front, one wheel in the back ), or read up on the SARIT vehicle from Frank Stronach in Ontario, Canada
Try Veemo.ca not Veemo.com

I too was in China and finally realized all the thousands and thousands and thousands of scooters there were electric. I began to watch and only saw two scooters that were obviously gasoline powered.

Back