Can I substitute Sram for Shimano derailleur?

Bufatutu

I seem to have a bent derailleur, a lovely Shimano Deore on my e8000-powered mtn bike. My local bike shop guy says he's got a high end Sram on hand that will work fine. I'm concerned that I may lose some functionality if I don't use a Shimano derailleur with the Shimano motor. Anyone know about this? Thanks.

It does not matter what motor the bike has; it is completely separate from the derailleur system. But Shimano and SRAM are not cross-compatible because they have different cable pull ratios. So in order to use a SRAM derailleur, the shifter also has to be replaced.

I have almost 1800 miles with the Sram AXS wireless electronic derailleur running a Shimano 10-51 tooth 12 speed cassette and Shimano chain. It is a brilliant, silky smooth, quick and perfectly indexed set up. This is on a Trek Allant+9.9S.

I seem to have a bent derailleur, a lovely Shimano Deore on my e8000-powered mtn bike. My local bike shop guy says he's got a high end Sram on hand that will work fine. I'm concerned that I may lose some functionality if I don't use a Shimano derailleur with the Shimano motor. Anyone know about this? Thanks.
If you are ok with paying more Shimano xt Di2(xt is the affordable version) derailleurs can be fit on E8000 system without much trouble and it would be my choice of e-shifting for E8000.

Sram derailleurs are very good but you may need to change the shifter too.

I have almost 1800 miles with the Sram AXS wireless electronic derailleur running a Shimano 10-51 tooth 12 speed cassette and Shimano chain. It is a brilliant, silky smooth, quick and perfectly indexed set up. This is on a Trek Allant+9.9S.
Did not mean to imply that Shimano cassettes (or chains) are not cross compatible with SRAM derailleurs, or vice-versa. All manufacturers with the exception of Campagnolo use the same cassette standards (until you get into the newer 12 speed craziness.) I was only speaking to the rear derailleurs and shifters, which are not cross-compatible.

Derailleurs do not dictate pull ratios - it's the shifters that do all the indexing so yes you can use a Shimano derailleur, sram derailleur or even a Campy derailleur.
No you cannot. Now, there are exceptions. SRAM does makes Shimano compatible shifters (MRX, Centera, and Attack), and there are some bodges that people have discovered. But generally speaking, Shimano and SRAM rear derailleurs and shifters do not work with each other.

In general, my experience from 6 years of volunteering at the local Bicycle Kitchen is that mixing SRAM and Shimano drive components is problematic. The derailleurs aren't indexed, but the different brands (and even some models within the SRAM offerings) are designed to move different distances with the same cable pull. If this design criteria is correctly matched with the intended indexed shifter and cassette ("cog spacing" in the article linklemming provided) the mix and match approach will work but YRMV.

Be aware of the issues involved, and Ride On!

In general, my experience from 6 years of volunteering at the local Bicycle Kitchen is that mixing SRAM and Shimano drive components is problematic. The derailleurs aren't indexed, but the different brands (and even some models within the SRAM offerings) are designed to move different distances with the same cable pull. If this design criteria is correctly matched with the intended indexed shifter and cassette ("cog spacing" in the article linklemming provided) the mix and match approach will work but YRMV.

Be aware of the issues involved, and Ride On!
Not a lot of experience like you guys have, but this makes sense. Yes derailleur is fluid/not indexed, but it's not hard to imagine the amount of leverage built into the derailleur could easily change the amount of travel for the same length of cable pull (one model or brand vs. another).

Back