Can I put a frame lock on the front wheel (fork) instead?

Happymere

I recently purchased a Como 5.0 low entry from my local bike shop. I ordered a keyed-alike Abus set with the Bordo lock and the frame (cafe lock) that matches the battery lock.

Question/Dilemma: The local bike shop says they spent two hours and cannot find a way to attach the frame lock to the back wheel. (Of note, I purchased the attachment straps; they are unwilling/don't recommend drilling into the frame.) They are offering to install the lock on the front fork. Since the frame lock is only my secondary lock, would this solution be acceptable? I will use the Bordo folding lock in most situations. The frame lock is just to lock the bike when inside the garage or in very low-risk situations to keep someone from riding off on the bike. We live in a suburban, low-crime area but it is an expensive bike. Thoughts? Alternatives? (I have already purchased all the locks--keyed alike.

Did you come along this thread using the search funktion?

No need to drill into the bike frame.
IMHO putting a frame lock onto the front wheel is useless and I haven't seen someone doing that.
Your LBS really spent two hours with no result? :rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply. I need all the help I can get. I did see these other threads. My local bike shop has been helpful but really does not know electric bikes very well. I had to order the locks on my own. They are at least willing to help me install.

What makes installing the lock on the front wheel TOTALLY useless? (I know the rear would be much better.)

I did see these other threads. My local bike shop has been helpful but really does not know electric bikes very well. They are at least willing to help me install.
So after READING the other threads you do have a couple of hints how to install the Abus frame lock (read: frame, not front) by yourself.

There is no difference between ebike or bio-bike installation of the frame lock. Two hours without result but LBS willing to help you further? How?

If you closely inspect the photos of the Como 5 review in this forum you will see a photo of a Como that seems to have a frame lock attached for the rear wheel (this is the photo of the bike that also has a Kinekt suspension post). Also have you seen on Amazon they sell some ABUS mounting adapters, there are two methods, available, ...

I thought your question was quite thought provoking and have mulled on your question. I concluded maybe it is theoretically possible to use front wheel but you are adding a chunk of weight to the front and intuitively its better to put this weight below the seat stem where these frames are normally attached. I had a close look at my Vado 3 and concluded it was more or less impossible to attach in a way that would lock front wheel. Also, like TS25, never seen a front attached frame lock, (must be a reason?).

Frame locks are not that well known outside Northern Europe so if your LBS is primarily focussed on road or racing bikes, its possible they have never seen a frame lock before in certain localities! It is a moot point if I really need my frame lock, but its a peace of mind thing if the bike is out of my sight for a time. If installing the frame lock becomes too big an issue, somewhere in this forum there is discussions and some recommendations about lightweight "chains" or similar that can do the job. The great thing about the frame lock is however its just so convenient - trigger the lock, pull the key out, and walk away! If a bad guy wants to throw the Vado over his shoulder and walk away good luck to him!!

If its any encouragement, I think you will get this sorted, but may need to put it aside for a while. I found I had a few "roadblock" issue with my Vado but eventually have resolved most of these to my satisfaction. Its frustrating, but it should turn out okay ,.... :)

Last edited:
1602627507922.png

IMHO putting a frame lock onto the front wheel is useless and I haven't seen someone doing that.
Among other things, I have an ABUS Plus 5750L NR mounted on front fork with fork adapter kit, and the ABUS 1m plug-in chain, and it can be a good portable medium-risk security solution IMO when there's no rear frame geometry that makes better sense. I have a folder, so can halve the frame, plug in the chain adapter, run it thru front and rear spokes, helmet, and loop around a fixed post with slack for another bike. There are non-folder bike manufacturers that have chosen to come with OEM frame-lock mounts on the front fork (see: Tern GSD), especially in circumstances where there may not be solid rear frame geometry to leverage, or any easy access.

The frame lock is just to lock the bike when inside the garage or in very low-risk situations to keep someone from riding off on the bike. We live in a suburban, low-crime area but it is an expensive bike. Thoughts? Alternatives? (I have already purchased all the locks--keyed alike.
@Happymere there is no fool-proof bike security, except for good household insurance plan. I supplement lock(s) with the Boomerang GPS alarm (just took delivery of two), and/or the cheap Amazon motion activated 113dB hell-raisers that zip tie under the seat for around $15. Just need to journal a reminder to swap-out the batteries every 6mos. If any bandit wants to have go, there will be some surprises for them. Lols.

FYEO.png

Last edited:
I was able with no problem get a cafe lock on my Vado 4.0 - everything lined up, but I do not see how it would work on my GF's Como 4.0. There is not enough room between the post and the fender, The "top" of the lock is just too wide to fit. This brings me back to the question -Why not on the front? I am going to need to use the Abus adapters to connect it anyhow. The cable for the lock will increase your lock points. However, also have not seen one on the front wheel. So why not on the front? Again this is not the primary lock.

Attachments

• comocafe.jpg
    comocafe.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
Why not on the front? I am going to need to use the Abus adapters to connect it anyhow. The cable for the lock will increase your lock points. However, also have not seen one on the front wheel. So why not on the front? Again this is not the primary lock.
@Mando Dave I have an ABUS 5750L NR from Germany mounted on front wheel on a folder, and you are correct: with the 100cm cable or chain extender (also comes in shorter 85cm and longer 130cm), I can fold bike in half, loop thru the frame, thru an accompanying bike, and around a fixed object like sign post, with slack for a couple helmets and/or bike seat leash, at a "difficult to work" attack height. Nothing is going anywhere without an angle grinder or deft hammer-liquid nitrogen application. Add in a 118dBa accelerometer triggered alarm like a Juiced horn/alarm, or a $12 amazon alarm, and you should be fairly secure to pop in to get groceries or a coffee in "medium risk" (ie 9/15 risk) neighbourhoods. Just make double extra sure the cable/chain is the type that fits the frame lock as ABUS have in recent past changed the adapter diameter and length and there are some deceiving NOS vendors out there (at least in USA) still trying to dump the older type...new type is black with red ring. If you want to just use the frame lock for quick coffee/nature break stops (and are paranoid) you can add a small ball bearing and super glue to the hex heads on the adapter clamps, and/or anti-theft front hub wheel nuts.

Back