Can Brose motor be "de-tuned"

GeoffB

Hi everyone,
My first post to EBR so here goes.....I really like the Bulls Lacuba EVO 45 with the Brose motor. However it's a class 3 ebike (45 kph) and I live in Canada where class 3's are illegal (class one only allowed in Canada). Would anyone know if the Brose motor can somehow be "de-tuned" to make it into a class 1 (32 kph max speed) and therefore legal in Canada? All the bike dealers in Canada don't even carry class 3 bikes as far as I know, and I would hate to pop over the border to buy a class 3 and then have it confiscated by the police!

I am just curious, how is the Canadian police able to determine if it is class 1 or class 3. Are they going to ride your ebike find out? The Bulls Lacuba has both class 1 and class 3 versions and it is not easy for me to the differentiate between the 2 from looks alone. Are they going to believe that you detuned the ebike? Why don't you get the class 1 version to begin with? Besides, it is much more affordable.

If you're referring to the class 1 Lacuba EVO 8, yes it looks very similar but it has the the Shimano Nexus hub. Not fussy about the Nexus. If it had a regular derailleur then that's the one I would get.
As for the police determining if a bike is a class 1 or class 3 etc., don't all bikes have a sticker on them stating what class the bike is? I thought that was a requirement. I have heard of people being fined for having an illegal bike.

How would the police know that your class 3 ebike (illegal) has been detuned to make it class 1 if the sticker on it says class 3? Are they going to believe your word or are they going to rely on the markings on the ebike? I am interested to know.

Hi Mark,
Thanks for responding. I was thinking that if mods were made to the motor to make it a class 1 then surely I would be able to get a piece of paper on company letterhead from whoever did that for me to state that the motor had been de-tuned. No?
I'm pretty sure the cops wouldn't be jumping on the bike to check out the top speed but it would be a lot of money to pay out for a bike if there's a risk of being fined or even have the bike confiscated for being illegal. It's just that I really like the Evo 45 with the large capacity battery in the downtube and the double chainring etc.

Check out what software your dealer can deliver the bike with. My bike as delivered would only get to 25kph. Later the software was upgraded to 32kph and a new controller which the dealer referred to as the "American" software upgrade. But then we have none of that class 1 2 or 3 crap and no-one worries about Ebikes or other. Just obey the road rules if you're on the road.

Thanks for your input Camac. I'll talk to local dealers up here to see what can be done (if anything) about software and or the controller. I'll try to find a dealer who has some knowledge about such issues. Might not be easy.

I agree that the restrictions to class 1 only certainly does cut down on the choices we have up here in Canada.

Maybe you can look at the steepest hills that you are likely to encounter in your route and see if the class 1 can climb adequately. The extra gears for the class 3 are definitely needed at speeds 32 kph to 45 kph so you won't be spinning madly like a clown. Both have the same 650 wh battery.

The type of riding I do is just recreational cycling with a bunch of other seniors of mixed gender. Mix of country roads and gravel trails mainly. Rolling hills. No mountain biking!!

Yes Mark, on the class 1 Lacuba EVO 8 with the Shimano Nexus 8 speed, I believe that the gearing is equivalent to a 11/34 cogset. Not a big range for an old guy like me who struggles up the hills. And I mentioned that I would prefer a regular cogset and derailleur rather than something like the Nexus which I'm not familiar with. Also, have you seen the price of a replacement Gates belt and rear sprocket for a belt drive! I did try a Nexus hub and I found that you really have to totally back off from pedaling when changing gear. That's why I'm not interested in the class 1 EVO 8 (unless they bring out a derailleur version).

I really like the Brose motor. I'll do as Camac suggests and dig into what can be done with software etc. Failing that maybe I'll have to look at something else.

The type of riding I do is just recreational cycling with a bunch of other seniors of mixed gender. Mix of country roads and gravel trails mainly. Rolling hills. No mountain biking!!

Yes Mark, on the class 1 Lacuba EVO 8 with the Shimano Nexus 8 speed, I believe that the gearing is equivalent to a 11/34 cogset. Not a big range for an old guy like me who struggles up the hills. And I mentioned that I would prefer a regular cogset and derailleur rather than something like the Nexus which I'm not familiar with. Also, have you seen the price of a replacement Gates belt and rear sprocket for a belt drive! I did try a Nexus hub and I found that you really have to totally back off from pedaling when changing gear. That's why I'm not interested in the class 1 EVO 8 (unless they bring out a derailleur version).

I really like the Brose motor. I'll do as Camac suggests and dig into what can be done with software etc. Failing that maybe I'll have to look at something else.

Try to contact Bulls corporation and inquire about it since any business wants to expand their sales. Your choice of having a derailer type class 1 may be a great seller for Bulls since it brings the price further down. And that means it's more attractive to buyers like you and has more potential to increase the sales of Bulls ebikes overall.

Have tried that already Mark, to no avail.....About a month ago I contacted an ebike dealer who is well known to this site and asked him if he knew the answer to my question. He contacted Bulls and followed up with them again a couple of weeks later. As far as I know he still hasn't had an answer from Bulls. That doesn't give me a lot of confidence in Bulls after service if one of their biggest dealers in the States can't get an answer from them.

Thanks for your input Camac. I'll talk to local dealers up here to see what can be done (if anything) about software and or the controller. I'll try to find a dealer who has some knowledge about such issues. Might not be easy.

I agree that the restrictions to class 1 only certainly does cut down on the choices we have up here in Canada.
You're paranoid. Nobody is checking. Canadian sellers offer Class 3/4 models. Biktrix sells Ultra bikes that are 30+mph. Most people want to de-restrict and buy after-market speed dongles.

Paranoid maybe, but I like to do things right. I took a look at the Biktrix website you mention but there's no way I would buy a bike unseen from a online website.

Remove the 'Class 3' sticker and call it good. Do police really confiscate bikes in Canada? Have any Canadians reading this heard of real world issues with riding a class 3 bike? Some kit bikes (BBS-HD 1K Watt) easily top 30. Are those sold in Canada?

Some types of displays have a setup menu that allows the restriction of things such as top speed. Not sure if that is the case with Bulls, but it would be worth 'Googling' and/or asking the manufacturer or dealer.

Back