Can Bosch Ebike battery be used as a power source during power failure?

I have two portable generators that I can run in parallel for 4600W output. They will run my whole house lights (All LEDs), two refers, computers, TVs, etc. One can run off of natural gas or propane and they both run well on gasoline. About $1500 total for everything, including the natgas conversion for the 3000W unit. It's best to use things they were designed for unless there is an emergency.
Do you run extension chords or did you have a switch box installed?

Do you run extension chords or did you have a switch box installed?

I wired an external connector box to my house panel. Not too hard to do actually. Fortunately my interior breaker panel was on a wall with the meter outside in the breezeway between my house and a garage. It takes about 5 minutes to go from no power to generator power. Safe and reliable, especially with 2 small/medium size generators. An interlock keeps me from being able to backfeed my power to the grid. I've used it a few times for several hours with great results.

A generator is something else to have to worry about maintenance on, and getting stolen. Then the gas runs out and you can't get more if the roads are cut off during a storm or flooding afterwards.

Trying not to drift too much here, but your emergency power source expenses depend on how badly and how much you want to keep your stuff running. Now this is the way I think, and many don't, but a TV is not a necessity. Nor are lights. I've got some wonderful lights that last 10 hrs (left them on while the party was still going and went to bed). They recharge using solar energy and are called Luci Lights. For cooking? Camp stoves or the trailer stove. Heat? I've had wood stoves for that. The gas stoves also work well.. So, I've already eliminated stuff that won't need to be powered.
Pretty much so. TV, microwave and coffee-maker are not a necessity. The only case that I would make for a generator is when it's really hot and humid and you'll suffer without A/C, think Panama or (at least) Florida in summer. It's nice to have all the usual comforts and not to have to throw perishables out of the fridge, but what if the blackout lasts long enough to run out of gas - not to mention that small cheap generators are not meant to run 24/7.

Propane works fine for cooking. I would still keep a 100W solar and 100AH*12V battery (and a small inverter for phone and other items). And a proper lantern, either propane or solar. Lucy lanterns seem to be a bit low quality to rely upon in emergency. Probably in the class with $2 lawn markers - those will work too, cut the stake off and you have a lantern with tiny sh-tty battery.

Pretty much so. TV, microwave and coffee-maker are not a necessity. The only case that I would make for a generator is when it's really hot and humid and you'll suffer without A/C, think Panama or (at least) Florida in summer. It's nice to have all the usual comforts and not to have to throw perishables out of the fridge, but what if the blackout lasts long enough to run out of gas - not to mention that small cheap generators are not meant to run 24/7.

Propane works fine for cooking. I would still keep a 100W solar and 100AH*12V battery (and a small inverter for phone and other items). And a proper lantern, either propane or solar. Lucy lanterns seem to be a bit low quality to rely upon in emergency. Probably in the class with $2 lawn markers - those will work too, cut the stake off and you have a lantern with tiny sh-tty battery.

About the quality of the Luci lights--I have had one for 5 years? I've used them probably as much as you would in a power outage, if not more. I bought two more and keep one in the house and the other is out in the travel trailer. I didn't think they were very well built, but they are, although the bit of plastic used for hanging broke on one light. I like them so much that I've given Luci lights to friends for Christmas gifts.

The trailer Lucis are smooshed up and ride in a cupboard then brought out and blown up for use when I am dry camping. I'd rate them as one of the handiest gadgets to have.

Propane also works fine as a generator fuel, as does natural gas. I somewhat keep up with generator forums and it's not uncommon for users to report running small gensets for extended periods, from 24-96 hours at a stretch. It is not unusual to hear of days worth of use with stops for fuel or oil changes only. Some Honda gen. users brag about having over 1500 hours on their EU2000 units. My natural gas 3KW unit can theoretically run for days since the fuel supply is constant. Natural gas also contaminates the oil much less than gasoline, so oil changes can be up to 100 hours in between.

I just finished an 8 day power outage from the derecho storm that went through Iowa on Aug 10. I thankfully have a 5700 watt McCulloch generator which I ran about 8 to 12 hours a day. It was hard to find gas, so I couldn't keep it running 24/7. But it was enough to keep my sump pump, refrigerators and freezer going which prevented basement flooding and losing all my food store. Also was able to keep my cell phones, tablets and laptops charged up. I didn't attempt to run the A/C with it and I doubt it has enough power to run the A/C. I have used it in the winter during ice storms to keep the furnace running but I would worry about damaging the A/C components with marginal power. I am really glad I have the generator. Through experimentation, the last couple of days of this outage I learned how to attach it to power my entire elec. panel with the the breakers for major draws (like A/c, washer/dryer, etc) switched off. So at least I could go into the bathroom at night and flip on the light switch and that seemed like a real luxury after 8 days. I documented how to hook it up so I will be better prepared next time.

I've used my 7500 watt generator for 6 days straight during a snow storm power outage. I was concerned about running it non stop, so in the daylight hours I would shut it down when I could. I burned wood for heat. I do try to remember to start it once a month.

The big Generac whole house backup systems automatically cycle every month even without a power cut, the fuel stays fresh and the unit is ready. They will even warn you if a cycle is missed or failed.

For others using portables, you can add a 6 circuit, 30 amp transfer switch to your house for less than $300. Makes it easy to switch on in an emergency and keeps the generator power isolated from the utility power when that is restored. Transfer switch is a available at home centers or online.

Is there an inverter available to be able to use your ebike battery to power small appliances during a power failure? That would be a good idea since solar generator/ or large power banks can be pretty expensive and since I already have a 500WH battery that would work well. I have a Ryobi electric leaf blower and weed eater and ryobi sells a 300w inverter so you can use your batteries to power ac or usb devices.. It's great.
Here is what I did with my RAD Power eBike Battery:

That's great Nafis,, a little above my electrical skill level.. shortly after I started this thread I bought a few solar panels and I now have an ecoflow delta and a bluetti eb70 Lithium battery banks. I have a small gas 2200 inverter generator as well. I prefer to use the electric power it's much simpler, cleaner and quieter. I have a gas fireplace so I'm good with heat if there is a power failure and those few electric power banks are enough to keep my fridge running, keep my wifi going and charge up my phone and laptop.. That's all I need.. and power a lamp.

Ironically I have not had 1 power failure up until two days ago since I got all that stuff. But now I know it works. I know my bike battery would have had enough power to at least charge up my phone laptop and keep my wifi going.

I use this rig as a portable emergency light source during a power outage.

P1080656b.jpg

My ebike battery will power all four bulbs for 15 hours. I screw in as many as is needed.

The timer lets me use the rig as a battery discharger for proper storage.

These adapters are also available for most power tool battery brands.

61YOD+8wWBL._AC_SL1402_.jpg

They are easily wired to a variety of appliances during an outage.

Back