CA3 Cycle Analyst paid help needed

djc

I'm looking for someone with good Cycle Analyst knowledge in or near London or South-East UK to help me out setting my CA3 properly. I have a handbike so changing settings, testing and changing etc is not very practical for me. I need someone to spend an hour or so with me so I can test-ride and feedback for them to adjust settings. I am willing to travel to you if needed and pay for your time. I'm in North London, any help appreciated.

I was all set to help djc, but then realized (thank you for being clear in your post) you are far away from me in Ontario, Canada - where I thought for a second you meant London, Ontario, Canada.

I have CA3's on two bikes now and spent extensive time learning their setup for my 2WD projects, working with the Grin team via email (they are slow to reply at times due to being super busy this year, but fantastic in their answers when they do) - I 100% understand the challenge you face and you are wise to reach out for help.

Good luck and I hope you find someone local to help you soon.

Cheers
Shaun

I was all set to help djc, but then realized (thank you for being clear in your post) you are far away from me in Ontario, Canada - where I thought for a second you meant London, Ontario, Canada.

I have CA3's on two bikes now and spent extensive time learning their setup for my 2WD projects, working with the Grin team via email (they are slow to reply at times due to being super busy this year, but fantastic in their answers when they do) - I 100% understand the challenge you face and you are wise to reach out for help.

Good luck and I hope you find someone local to help you soon.

Cheers
Shaun
Hi Shaun,
Pity you're not over this end of the 'pond'! Grin have been really good but as you mentioned are super busy at the moment! I basically want the motor to kick in instantly as I start pedalling, not after one or two revs. I want a steady build up of power proportional to speed not full power straight away. Ideally I'd have a torque sensor, but not possible at the moment but I want the PAS to imitate as close as possible to a torque sensor. I want a background 'assistance', not just turning the cranks - I want to know I'm putting some effort in. Also, at low speed, I still want some assistance. Ideally 15mph in my hardest gear but still feeling some effort...remember I'm only using biceps, no triceps. If you wouldn't mind having a look at my settings file and make suggestions I'd really appreciate it?!
Cheers, Dom

Attachments

• Read Setup 6.hex.zip
    650 bytes · Views: 272
Sorry for the late reply, didn't manage to get back on here since last weekend - what a week.

I will have a look at your file for sure...soon as I figure out how to look at it - this is an awesome task for me to figure out (I've programmed my phaserunners already for example and been meaning to connect up to one of my CA3's to my laptop) and will let you know what I figure out.

To get started, here's some insight I can share. Previous to CA3 and Grin controllers/motors I rode only Bionx equipped bikes which are torque sensor based. This lead me to want to test and learn the difference between PAS and Torque Sensor with the CA3 setup - so I tried both.

First, your struggle with needing a revolution or more to get power flowing - I fully understand that challenge. The issue is if you lower the settings too low (to engage more quickly) it can cause throttle chatter as you stop (coast) and start your revolutions, as per the CA3 guide. That said once I see your settings I will for sure make suggestions to try and help.

In my case, with PAS or Torque, my new bike is quite....heavy, lol. Without rider it can weigh up to as much as 210lbs. With a PAS or Torque sensor I have learned I simply push the thumb throttle to get me going instantly due to the weight of my total setup (I'm 270lbs up on top as well) and then start pedaling to take over from the throttle.

I realize your setup is really unique (and I'm happy to help) - Might I ask if you have a throttle installed? Are you able to use it from dead stop for the first 1-2 seconds and then switch over to the cranks?

As for a PAS working like a torque sensor - do you have a digital input installed on your setup? I have one on each of mine. It gave me the ability to divide up the assist by 9 different levels (divided from the top level of assist configured) which when I was testing the PAS - allowed me some finer levels of control over the assist I was receiving. Again I realize your challenge will be your hands on the crank - are you able to take a hand off to press the plus/minus to adjust regularly the assist level perhaps?

Last, just a curious question - why are you unable to make a torque sensor work? Simply no models compatible/fit to your cranks on your handbike?

Back