Brought a new Vado 5.0 home today!

Camasonian

Region
USA
Finally had a chance to ride both the Vado and Vado SL side by side today and brought home a brand new white Turbo Vado 5.0. This exact model pictured below (from the Specialized Web site). I'll take my own photos later. After riding and seeing both in-person it was pretty obvious that the Vado was going to be the right choice. I bought it from the E-Bike Store in North Portland and they were very good and easy to deal with so far. I can recommend them for anyone in the Portland area although we have a lot of choices here. I was hoping for a black one but the white is the first and only Vado 5.0 they have gotten from Specialized and there was no word on when other colors might arrive. So I bought it instead of risking this one getting sold and not getting a black on in a timely manner. I think the white will probably grow on me. I can put all black accessories on it and it will look good and not too "ninja".

Conclusions after doing a side-by-side ride and comparison between the Vado and Vado SL?

1. Riding positions are near identical or at least very similar. I didn't have the seat perfectly adjusted on the Vado SL but they both are at least quite similar in seating position and geometry. At least close enough that I couldn't really tell.
2. Vado is considerably quieter than the Vado SL. the SL motor has a persistent and constant whine that I expect one will quickly get used to. But the more powerful motor on the regular Vado was definitely quieter.
3. The display on the Vado seems more sophisticated and full featured compared to the SL. I may have been riding a 2021 model SL but it had a smaller black and white display. I didn't stand there and do a screen by screen comparison of the displays but the Vado was nicer to look at.
4. Personally I prefer the Shimano shifters on the Vado SL because that is what I'm used to with the thumb push and index finger pull to shift vs the SRAM on the Vado which is both thumb push to shift up and down. But that is pretty trivial. I'm thinking I may have been on a 2021 model SL because Specialized is showing that both the 2022 models are now SRAM.
5. Headlights appear identical, but the the Vado definitely has a far superior taillight integrated into the rear rack that also illuminates to the sides compared to the small fender-mounted tail light on the SL. Also the SL headlight is mounted on the underside of the handlebars which means any handlebar bag will block the headlight whereas the Vado headlight is mounted on the fork arch (see photo) so it is low enough to not be blocked by a handlebar bag.
6. Vado rack is far more robust which is somewhat important to me as I'll be carrying cargo from time to time.
7. The Vado SL with the far lighter frame/battery/wheels and fork is definitely a more nimble bike-like bike. I think for someone athletic for whom this is will be their primary bike for all uses including recreation the SL will be superior. But for me, I already have several good recreational road and mountain bikes and primarily need this new one for daily commuting in my hilly neighborhood. So the more robust and powerful Vado seems to meet my needs better.
8. The radar that warns of approaching cars from behind is pretty cool. You have both an indicator on the display (white dot that moves up the screen) and a chirp alarm that you can turn off or on. This is only on the Vado, not the SL

I haven't actually ridden it at home yet. Will post a more substantial review when I have a chance to get some big rides in this weekend and next week. But I'm very much looking forward to it. Anyone with any questions about this specific bike fire away. This is an all-new model compared to the 2021 version. Pretty much everything has changed.

95022-38_VADO-50-WHTMTN-BLKREFL_HERO

Congratulations on your new ride @Camasonian!

I like the colour of your Vado; I'm certain the colour will grow on you! (I was in a similar position with my Vado SL: I wanted that right now, and started liking its Dove Gray although I dreamed of Celadon Green or Yellow). Your observations are excellent and there is nothing to add.

The reason I own and ride both Vado and Vado SL is the "big" Vado is a universal e-bike that meets most of my needs but Vado SL is lightweight, nimble, and it gives me far better workout than the big brother :) Well, one cannot have it all!

Regarding Shimano vs. SRAM: Shimano has experienced some big production/supply chain issues recently. Therefore, Specialized turned to SRAM that is capable to deliver the gear nowadays.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I appreciate the writeup - I too have looked at Vado vs Vado SL but haven't been close enuf to pulling the trigger on any of them to do test riding and such. Your assessment seems spot on though - SL good for some assist but still use your legs, full power for commute/toodle around without breaking a sweat.

Varia radar is pretty slick - I use the RTL515 on my road bike with my Edge 830. You might as well start putting money away for one for your other bikes, it's the sort of thing you really get used to having... :) Still helps to have a mirror as well though.

Varia radar is pretty slick - I use the RTL515 on my road bike with my Edge 830. You might as well start putting money away for one for your other bikes, it's the sort of thing you really get used to having... :) Still helps to have a mirror as well though.

another vote for the varia! no mirror can alert you to a fast approaching car 400 meters behind you without taking your eyes off the road ahead :)

it’s a fantastic safety device.

Mirrors are still useful though, so I recommend the combination of both.

no doubt you can never be too safe on a bike! i'm admittedly a bit of a purist when it comes to visual clutter and drag, so no mirrors for me. lights front and back also highly recommended, even in daytime.

yep it jsut saves you needing it as much. it has saved my life once already.
Yes, the Varia is fantastic. My point was more that there are situations where mirror is useful for that the Varia doesn’t help with.

Examples such as riding with somebody else and seeing how far back they are, with them the same speed Varia doesn’t show them up as much. Another being whether the car behind you is preparing to turn, either in the turn lane or with their blinkers on.

no doubt you can never be too safe on a bike! i'm admittedly a bit of a purist when it comes to visual clutter and drag, so no mirrors for me. lights front and back also highly recommended, even in daytime.
I use a mirror
I have never found a bike-mounted mirror that I like or can use. I prefer helmet mounted and my favorite is actually the kind that clips onto your sunglasses. I don't know what brand it is.

Congrats Camasonian! I was lucky enough to test ride this 5.0 Vado last week (a Red one) I want a Black one too.
I am coming from a Giant Trance X analog MTB, I was shocked at how much fun this bike was!

I was curious if you had the chance to play with the seat post adjustment yet, does it get bouncy in the full soft position?

Yes, the Varia is fantastic. My point was more that there are situations where mirror is useful for that the Varia doesn’t help with.

Examples such as riding with somebody else and seeing how far back they are, with them the same speed Varia doesn’t show them up as much. Another being whether the car behind you is preparing to turn, either in the turn lane or with their blinkers on.
of course I use it then check with my mirror before going to the left lane to turn and such. when going traffic speed.

Congrats Camasonian! I was lucky enough to test ride this 5.0 Vado last week (a Red one) I want a Black one too.
I am coming from a Giant Trance X analog MTB, I was shocked at how much fun this bike was!

I was curious if you had the chance to play with the seat post adjustment yet, does it get bouncy in the full soft position?
I haven't played with the adjustment yet. It is plenty stiff enough in the stock position. I'm probably going to swap out the seat for a well worn in Brooks that I have on my Mountain Bike.

I like the Azur Orbit bar-end mirror. It has good adjustment and doesn’t vibrate when riding.

I think Azur is an Australian company so I don’t know if the same mirror is available in other counties.

8AA89022-C017-4E59-BE7B-0232A6D93C65.jpeg

Hi,

what is the best inner tube for the Vado? just received my 5.0 yesterday and i have the 2022 creo expert arriving next week too. I would like to purchase inner tubes for the bike, just in case I get an puncture. Has anyone gone tubless on the Vado? mine is shinny red and its lovely.

Hi,

what is the best inner tube for the Vado? just received my 5.0 yesterday and i have the 2022 creo expert arriving next week too. I would like to purchase inner tubes for the bike, just in case I get an puncture. Has anyone gone tubless on the Vado? mine is shinny red and its lovely.
Enjoy both of those bikes. I'm sure name brand tubes would be a safe bet and make sure that the valve stem is long enough to clear the rims and allow a pump room to grab the end.

Define "best"...

The 2022 Vado has 650b x 2.3 tires, with 40mm Schrader valve. Any name brand tube meeting those specs would be fine.

I'd probably just pick up a 27.5/650b x 1.75-2.4 size Specialized brand tube next time you're at your LBS. (note that 650b is interchangeable with 27.5")

Last edited:
Thank you guys, can I ask a draft silly question - anyone with a Vado are you meant to receive a battery key? To remove the battery? Mines not in the black box supplied. Urgh

Thank you guys, can I ask a draft silly question - anyone with a Vado are you meant to receive a battery key? To remove the battery? Mines not in the black box supplied. Urgh

You're supposed to get keys. Call the shop.

If they balk at sorting it out, remind them the bike's advertised as having a removable battery.

Back