Brose display; BLOKS; 2019 switch to Bosch?

Carterk

So I’m very happy with my Brose powered 2018 Raleigh Redux. I particularly like the bright, removable Brose- labeled computer/display, which looked pretty damn identical to the displays on the 2017-18 Specialized Vado.

Now I see that Raleigh has gone to Bosch for the 2019 Redux, which is a little surprising. And on the Vado forums it seems that (correct me if I’m wrong) Specialized is replacing the original display- which was presumably made by the defunct BLOKS- with a different display that will work with Mission Control.

So here are my questions. Given that the displays looked pretty identical, can I assume my 2018 Redux display was made by BLOKS? If it was, are there any reasons I should be worried about it going forward, given the company is out of business? Should we assume to BLOKS debacle might be behind Raleigh’s switch to Bosch? Finally (long shot here!) should I hope that I could replace my display with something that could give me Mission Control-like functionality?

2018 Redux display was made by BLOKS?

It comes from the Brose eco system.
Brose offers this display.

Izip-Moda-9.jpg

The switch to Bosch has nothing to do with BLOKS. Raleigh wants to keep everything consistent, so instead of carrying multitude of motors and spare parts, they want to keep it lean and this gives them negotiating power. I also think Bosch has a very good system and it is a well-established brand.

Thanks, Ravi! I was puzzled mostly because the Redux and Vado displays looked identical- maybe BLOKS just supplied the programming for the Vado version? Anyway, no matter.

Yeah, I meant no slight to Bosch. The 2019 Redux is a very attractive bike at a very competitive price. If I didn’t have my 2018 I’d very seriously consider the new model!

Carterk: I have the iZip Moda (same bike as Redux - different color). On the display, do you get any information on range estimates? Before I purchased it I was told it did show a range estimate (and the Brose manual that came with the bike indicates a range estimate as well as an effort measurement) but my display does not show either. Does yours? Did you buy direct or thru a local bike shop?
Great bike. Have had it about a month now.

No range estimate. I bought mine through a LBS, which hasn’t been terrifically helpful. Court has a video where he goes into the display in detail, and he menti9ns that its supposed to show a range estimate somehow but he doesn’t figure it out. I’d also like to see cadence, and distances in tenths, but now that Raleigh/Izip has gone to Bosch I don’t think we’ll be seeing any updates...

I am hoping it may be available as a software update. Going to inquire with iZip during the week. My current software ver. 5.321 so we will see. Unfortunately, they usually only do these updates thru 'authorized' resellers, so I might be screwed as none are within hundreds of miles. However, so far the 'range' thing is my only disappointment. Great bike.

The procedure was in the Brose book that came with the bike and it mentioned the range estimate as a displayed item as well. I will post the procedure for you later this evening when I get home on how to check the ver. #. When I was l looking for a bike I visited a LBS who sold Bosch bikes and he mentioned how Bosch updates software annually and sometimes more often. Not sure about the RaleighUSA (Brose) group, however.

The procedure to display the software version is: With the bike on; 1. briefly press (less than 2 seconds) the On/Of button. This will switch the display unit off.
2. Press and hold (for longer than 5 seconds) the on-off button. This will display the software version number. As I mentioned my display said 5.321. (I assume the small "o" between the 5 and 3 represents a "." character.
According to the Brose booklet with the bike, the display shows: Range time**; trip distance; trip average speed; trip time; pedal resistance of driver **; total miles; total time; clock time. (The items marked ** are the ones that I don't see as I toggle thru the menu.)
I would be curious what your version number indicates.

Back