Broken Spokes on Aventon Level

deeseone

Hello, I have Aventon level and I really like it but I am having recurring issue that I am worried about and that is broken spokes on rear wheel. I had about 200 miles when the first spoke broke so I took it to shop and they were great about fixing it said they went through and made sure all spokes were tight and I shouldn't have anymore problems. So I get bike home go for ride and bout 30 miles in I get another broken spoke in rear. So now I have to call someone again to come pick me up and now another 2 hour drive to shop to get fixed. I don't think this is a problem created by the bike shop but maybe quality of parts being used. At this point any suggestion on a fix would be greatly appreciated.

This issue has been discussed in several other threads fairly recently. I entered this thread's topic in the Search function and found maybe a half dozen threads and posts that have info that might be helpful. Here's one;

I need Spokes...

The others probably have even more info that could help.

Hello, I have Aventon level and I really like it but I am having recurring issue that I am worried about and that is broken spokes on rear wheel. I had about 200 miles when the first spoke broke so I took it to shop and they were great about fixing it said they went through and made sure all spokes were tight and I shouldn't have anymore problems. So I get bike home go for ride and bout 30 miles in I get another broken spoke in rear. So now I have to call someone again to come pick me up and now another 2 hour drive to shop to get fixed. I don't think this is a problem created by the bike shop but maybe quality of parts being used. At this point any suggestion on a fix would be greatly appreciated.
Did you get this problem resolved? I just got my 3rd broken spoke in 700 miles.

Did you get this problem resolved? I just got my 3rd broken spoke in 700 miles.
you need to get the wheel into a shop with a decent wheel builder because it will never be good till it is rebuilt. but if it has the 10 or 12 gauge spokes they may not be able to deal with it but that can be worked around sometimes.

This is a fairly common event. When 1 spoke breaks there is often a second damaged spoke that will
fail shortly afterward. The best advice I can share is get spare spokes & learn to install them yourself.
If you are a heavy rider,(as am I), going to tires with tougher sidewalls & higher PSI can help prevent
bottoming out, the primary cause of busted spokes. I´ll look up the Aventon specs for possible
recommendations. Okay, found tires; the ones you have are rated to 80 psi, so there should be no
problem using more pressure. Can´t speak for the sidewalls.
P.S. In several of my old posts I explain how to replace a spoke without removing the wheel.
However, if the break is on disc side, there maybe no other choice but to remove the wheel & the disc
to get at it.(bummer)

Last edited:
I've broken rear spokes twice in the last year. After the first one I had my LBS tension and true the wheel. I later broke another spoke and talked with them about it. They said the thicker gauge spokes are more brittle leading to breaks; if it becomes a problem I can try spokes that are thicker in the middle and tapered at the ends that add some flexibility. It's about an hour of labor and $2.50 per spoke.

This is a fairly common event. When 1 spoke breaks there is often a second damaged spoke that will
fail shortly afterward. The best advice I can share is get spare spokes & learn to install them yourself.
If you are a heavy rider,(as am I), going to tires with tougher sidewalls & higher PSI can help prevent
bottoming out, the primary cause of busted spokes. I´ll look up the Aventon specs for possible
recommendations. Okay, found tires; the ones you have are rated to 80 psi, so there should be no
problem using more pressure. Can´t speak for the sidewalls.
P.S. In several of my old posts I explain how to replace a spoke without removing the wheel.
However, if the break is on disc side, there maybe no other choice but to remove the wheel & the disc
to get at it.(bummer)
What size spoke wrench is needed for the aventon Level.

You can get a ring shaped multi-sized spoke wrench. I don´t know Aventon size right off.
I use pliers, (one size fits all). I use very gradual, small increments when truing a wheel.
At 4k+ mi.; my wheels a spot on within a fraction of a millimeter. I check for loose spokes.
true, & inflation, & brakes before & after every ride. Temperature & stretch can alter mechanical
disc brakes within a single ride. I´ve become a fanatic about preflight checks. They will save
a long walk home.

I use a 6" crescent wrench. Not some piece of scrap metal from ***** or harbor freight; a real one from crescent, craftsman, diamond tools.
A lot of these $1000 ebikes have grey mystery metal used as spokes. If it broke, probably was full of copper, lead, aluminum, zinc or what ever other scrap went into the pot. DT Swiss (US made) spokes I've had zero trouble with. They are standard thin & likely real steel. Also no trouble with the spokes that came on my $1800 (without motor) yubabike made in *****.

You can get a ring shaped multi-sized spoke wrench. I don´t know Aventon size right off.
I use pliers, (one size fits all). I use very gradual, small increments when truing a wheel.
At 4k+ mi.; my wheels a spot on within a fraction of a millimeter. I check for loose spokes.
true, & inflation, & brakes before & after every ride. Temperature & stretch can alter mechanical
disc brakes within a single ride. I´ve become a fanatic about preflight checks. They will save
a long walk home.
I‘m currently using a small set of pliers and checking for loose spokes after every ride. I’ve learned to check tire pressure weekly. I doubt my wheels are anywhere near true.

I use a 6" crescent wrench. Not some piece of scrap metal from ***** or harbor freight; a real one from crescent, craftsman, diamond tools.
A lot of these $1000 ebikes have grey mystery metal used as spokes. If it broke, probably was full of copper, lead, aluminum, zinc or what ever other scrap went into the pot. DT Swiss (US made) spokes I've had zero trouble with. They are standard thin & likely real steel. Also no trouble with the spokes that came on my $1800 (without motor) yubabike made in *****.
Thank you. I just found out my good 6” crescent wrench is probably at one of my kids houses! Hence, using a small set of pliers.

a long walk home.
I got one of those spoke tools in a tool box from aldi. It has wrenches,hex all kinds of tools and was like 16 dollars.
The metal fatigue ages spokes and the torsion from braking.

Back