Broken PAS disc

Lhoytt

Hi, I have a 2019 Rad Rover. I went to use my bike and found the PAS disc broken into several pieces (see photo)
242B019D-9FDC-44F0-AE8A-55E6BDEA4823.jpeg
. I
I Googled this part and found a bunch on line, some of which come in two pieces that can’t wait installed without removing the crank and chain ring. Does anyone have experience with this and is there a 2 piece PAS disc that would be compatible? Mine has 12 magnets.

Thanks for the help!

larry

So your question is that, what two piece PAS sensor you can use? Because you don't want to take off the crank?

I think anything that look similar to that would work, and if the diameter is slightly different, I imagine you could move the sensor as well.

Thank you Timpo. Yes, If I can install a PAS disc without removing the crank and chain ring I can do it myself. If I need to remove the crank. I need to have a bike mechanic do it.

Do you, or anyone else on the forum, have a reliable source for the disc?

Thanks,

Larry

The bottom photo you sent looks exactly like it; however, I am wondering if the 2-piece disc could substitute for the broken 1-piece. Unfortunately Rad tech support hasn’t responded to me yet so I can find out what I can use.

Is this a Rad bike problem, or a common problem with E bikes?

Larry

A search on Amazon may yield the part your after (PAS sensor).

I think the frequency that disc is broken will have a lot to do with the terrain you ride. They are generally fine until whacked with something.

And being the avid DIY'er that I am, I would second the idea of purchasing any tools required vs. paying a tech to do it. I would fully understand though, that somebody with no tools, or a place to work on it, might just want to have it done for them.

Best to buy a rad sensor and get the same disk. Not a good idea to mix magnets and sensors from different vendors, especially if you're farming it out to a bike tech who doesn't work on ebikes. Buy the rad part, you know it works.

A cheap generic sensor will probably work, because they are simple, but there's only 1 way out of 4 of installing it right (disk can be flipped, and sensor may be pointed the wrong way). In addition, if you're changing the sensor, the connector may not be the same , and no one tells you what wires are what.

Last edited:
Not going to disagree regarding the Rad part being the easiest. Little doubt there.

What wires are what not hard if you decide to take on the project. On the bike side, positive and negative easily found with a volt meter, the other is the sensor. The new PAS sensor should come with documentation telling you what is what. Too, you may not need to replace the sensor if you can match up the ring.

Magnet orientation can be a pain.... require some patience.

My hope would be you wouldn't have to replace the sensor - just the magnet ring.

Back