Brand new Bafang BBSHD loses power

Bobber

Region
USA
City
The Evergreen State
I'm new and this is my first post, Hello everybody. I just purchased the complete kit from Ebike Essentials. It has the ebrakes, gear sensor, 52 volt battery and DPC18 display and is mounted now on my Specialized Crosstrail. I have been with the techs at the vendor about this issue but thought I'd run it through you guys. This is a brand new install with zero miles. The bike will run fine in my garage with the rear wheel off the ground through all the speeds but when I try to ride it pulses or modulates so it's basically useless in any speed. It seems like a clutch could be slipping but I don't think there is one there unless you count the freewheel. The motor will run fine going downhill but trying to go up a slight incline is a nogo. It does this on throttle or pedal assist. I have plugged and unplugged the gear sensor with no effect. Battery is fully charged. Any ideas what's going on?

Welcome to EBR Bobber. I'm looking to do a similar conversion one day so will be interested to see what comes of your query.

There are many folks knowledgeable about conversions here so I would expect you'll get the help you need.

While you wait for someone to read your post and respond you may be able to find answers or interesting other info using the search bar for BBSHD....

Again welcome.

Occasionally a motor gets past Bafang quality control. There have been significant improvements. The most common failure for a new motor is a controller issue. There’s a great troubleshooting thread on electricbike.com

it’s an invaluable resource. Luna business model has always put the responsibility on the customer. They’ve created one of the best forums for BBSxx series. Sebz is a real talent! Lots of us had no one in the earliest years and had a real struggle.
Use Google and try searching
The seller should be helping.

What is the battery voltage? Confirmed with a multimeter. An essential tool for any eBike owner, critical for a kit builder. I’d like to know the battery voltage output when trying to run on the hard surface. I’m firmly in the group of DIY riders that have critical back parts. I’m even more concerned these days remembering when Bafang made every BBS02 and BBS01 obsolete. Mid 2016 without informing ANY dealer they shipped the BBS02B and BBS01B.

I like the motors well enough to have several backups. I scoured the internet and found close outs that were heavily discounted. But those are 36V 250 and 350W.
BBSHD motors had rotor shafts. Once again without notice shipped the upgraded rotors and left it to the shop to sort.

Bur regardless of the issues the BBSHD is a great motor. I see their heavy use in the pedicab market.

Forgot to ask, does this happen pedaling, under throttle, or both.

I fixed it. I had routed some cables between the motor and bike frame because there was just enough space. After the fact I found out the torque likes to push the motor up tight . Well it pinched my display cable a touch. I rerouted and unpinched it and now everything works. Later on that cable might give me issues but not today. Thanks everyone. It's been raining here goodly so I haven't had the chance to really take it out yet other than a quickie today. I also found out that my rear hub needs attention so off to the shop it goes. I've had this bike for 7 years and destroyed that hub myself so job well done. I'll be out of town anyway so everything is falling neatly into place.
Thanks again
Bobber

I fixed it. I had routed some cables between the motor and bike frame because there was just enough space. After the fact I found out the torque likes to push the motor up tight . Well it pinched my display cable a touch. I rerouted and unpinched it and now everything works. Later on that cable might give me issues but not today. Thanks everyone. It's been raining here goodly so I haven't had the chance to really take it out yet other than a quickie today. I also found out that my rear hub needs attention so off to the shop it goes. I've had this bike for 7 years and destroyed that hub myself so job well done. I'll be out of town anyway so everything is falling neatly into place.
Thanks again
Bobber
Thanks for reporting back! I wish everyone would do that! It'll help someone else down the line.

Can you post a pic of your bike? I have a CrossTrail sitting unused and am contemplating the same project.

I'm new and this is my first post, Hello everybody. I just purchased the complete kit from Ebike Essentials. It has the ebrakes, gear sensor, 52 volt battery and DPC18 display and is mounted now on my Specialized Crosstrail. I have been with the techs at the vendor about this issue but thought I'd run it through you guys. This is a brand new install with zero miles. The bike will run fine in my garage with the rear wheel off the ground through all the speeds but when I try to ride it pulses or modulates so it's basically useless in any speed. It seems like a clutch could be slipping but I don't think there is one there unless you count the freewheel. The motor will run fine going downhill but trying to go up a slight incline is a nogo. It does this on throttle or pedal assist. I have plugged and unplugged the gear sensor with no effect. Battery is fully charged. Any ideas what's going on?
No surprise because you get what you pay for.

Bafang motors are notoriously unreliable and usually only last about 200 miles.

Can you post a pic of your bike? I have a CrossTrail sitting unused and am contemplating the same project.

I bought the biggest battery, the Whale Shark and the best display. The total was $1590. The bike weighs about 58# with the new ebike stuff, rack, bag, and kickstand. My Ecotric weighed 69 they said.

Attachments

• 0D1186ED-528C-424D-92C1-827F6D5E2431.jpeg
    0D1186ED-528C-424D-92C1-827F6D5E2431.jpeg
    394.1 KB · Views: 279
  • CA15E071-9480-485C-A1B1-6BF7ED22926C.jpeg
    CA15E071-9480-485C-A1B1-6BF7ED22926C.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 286
Bubba, I should add that the stock cable guide that fits under the bottom bracket on my Crosstrail is in the way of the motor because it hangs down an inch. You will have to alter it but it is plastic so that isn't a big deal. The rear derailleur cable runs through there so to do it proper you have to disconnect the cable and pull it through and run it through the new one which is kind of a PIA . During this process I found out that my cable was frayed so I had to run to the bike shop for a cable and a new bracket which was only a dollar. So get the bracket ahead of time.

Bubba, I should add that the stock cable guide that fits under the bottom bracket on my Crosstrail is in the way of the motor because it hangs down an inch. You will have to alter it but it is plastic so that isn't a big deal. The rear derailleur cable runs through there so to do it proper you have to disconnect the cable and pull it through and run it through the new one which is kind of a PIA . During this process I found out that my cable was frayed so I had to run to the bike shop for a cable and a new bracket which was only a dollar. So get the bracket ahead of time.
Thanks. It has me thinking.

The same thing was happening to my rock lobster build. Rerouted cables and power loss resolved. I thought I was going to have to replace the controller. Thanks for the post.

What is the battery voltage? Confirmed with a multimeter. An essential tool for any eBike owner, critical for a kit builder. I’d like to know the battery voltage output when trying to run on the hard surface. I’m firmly in the group of DIY riders that have critical back parts. I’m even more concerned these days remembering when Bafang made every BBS02 and BBS01 obsolete. Mid 2016 without informing ANY dealer they shipped the BBS02B and BBS01B.

I like the motors well enough to have several backups. I scoured the internet and found close outs that were heavily discounted. But those are 36V 250 and 350W.
BBSHD motors had rotor shafts. Once again without notice shipped the upgraded rotors and left it to the shop to sort.

Bur regardless of the issues the BBSHD is a great motor. I see their heavy use in the pedicab market.
Any recommendation on which multi meter for a person who has never used one Tom? After workability and usability not cost.

Any recommendation on which multi meter for a person who has never used one Tom? After workability and usability not cost.
i have an expensive Fluke but find a Aneng AN302 to be adequate. Auto ranging and auto off are important features for me. My Fluke uses a 9v battery and the replacement 9v are expensive compared to other battery options .

I buy from AliExpress.
URL unfurl="true"]https://m.aliexpress.com/i/33007502039.html[/URL]
5D798F7A-24E0-4CDB-854C-582360C7926F.png

I’m a retired horticulture director and had no electrical experience except with irrigation controllers. I like that this meter is smarter than me. Model numbers are vexing but any of the aneng with auto ranging and auto off will do the job. Cheap coin batteries are another good feature.

Back