Brake and cut-off cable replacement

Hawaii_ebiker

Region
USA
My SMLRO S11 electric bike fell over and the back brake (left) lever smashed. Finding a replacement brake lever is not a problem, but finding one with a 2 pin power cut-off connector/cable is proving challenging. I wonder if it's safe to rely on the front brake to cut-off power and simply replace the back brake with a normal brake lever without a cut-off facility? I'm also curious whether magnetic sensor cut-off cables (that attach to the brake lever) would be a good substitute if I can't find a suitable replacement? Any advise much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.JPG
    IMG_0317.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0319.JPG
    IMG_0319.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 467
Tom's right the red connector looks like a Higo Mini-B 2-pole connector. There are adapters that can connect a 2-pole to a 3-pole and vice versa, if you can't find a compatible ebrake handle you might buy an adapter to plug your main wiring harness to a 3-pole yellow higo connector on a generic ebrake sensor

Tom's right the red connector looks like a Higo Mini-B 2-pole connector. There are adaptors that can connect a 2-pole to a 3-pole and vice versa, if you can't find a compatible ebrake handle you might buy an adapter to plug your main wiring harness to a 3-pole yellow higo connector on a generic ebrake sensor
I'm afraid that isn't a good solution. There are complete replacement levers available. The German source for Higo adapters is CRAZY expensive!

I'm afraid that isn't a good solution. There are complete replacement levers available. The German source for Higo adapters is CRAZY expensive!
This one? Is the shipping expensive? I know I've typically had to pay through the nose when buying from EU suppliers like Rose Bikes or Hollandbikeshop
Is it technically do-able? presumably you need a pin out diagram to identify what you're connecting to.

This one? Is the shipping expensive? I know I've typically had to pay through the nose when buying from EU suppliers like Rose Bikes or Hollandbikeshop
Is it technically do-able? presumably you need a pin out diagram to identify what you're connecting to.
Yes. Is he shipping to the USA again? I paid $20 for an adapter and $15 for shipping.

BUT, how does an adapter help? All the hydraulics I've handled use the red 2 pins. I've not seen hydraulic brake handles with the yellow higo. But I do miss things!

These no-name parts are exactly why I avoid lowball eBike builds. Replacement parts can be a nightmare. Not to diss the OP. Just addressing something we see here on a regular basis.

Tom's right the red connector looks like a Higo Mini-B 2-pole connector. There are adapters that can connect a 2-pole to a 3-pole and vice versa, if you can't find a compatible ebrake handle you might buy an adapter to plug your main wiring harness to a 3-pole yellow higo connector on a generic ebrake sensor
That's an option if I can't find a two pin, thank you.

The brakes I currently have are not great. Someone suggested hydraulics. Are they easy to fit and compatible with most bikes?

Very confusing but the search master is on it. When I looked at specifications and you’re photos it appeared you had hydraulic brakes Apparently I have poor reading comprehension today (every day?)

These no-name parts are exactly why I avoid lowball eBike builds. Replacement parts can be a nightmare. Not to diss the OP. Just addressing something we see here on a regular basis.
Yes, i agree. It's always a trade-off between possible risks and costs.

I’ve sold a fair number of Magura brake kits. Definitely a worthy upgrade.

For me, it was an easy installation.
If you know how to replace brake system on normal bike, you would have no problem since the only difference is brake inhibitor cable.

The only problem I heard from people is that, some people found that brake hose was too long (or short) depending on what bike you have.
In that case, you can just replace the brake hose but that would require a lot more time and effort (and money) so I can't guarantee.
But in most cases, it's fine. You should check how long brake hose (hydraulic lines) before purchasing them though.

The link provided are for Zoom, XOD and Nutt brake systems.
From what I can see, XOD and Nutt are the same thing, just different branding. (though, they have different models / variations if you look closely)
If I remember correctly, Biktrix use them too.
Thanks Timpo, very useful 😁 I'm going to follow up on these suggestions.

Biggest disadvantage to hydraulic brakes is the need to bleed. This is arguably more complicated than replacing cables and housing on mech brakes - I had the Avid bleeds down but still haven't figured out the Shimano bleed. I bleed at least once a year, either paying a shop or doing it myself. Just think about that before heading that direction.

Otherwise, hydraulics are fantastic. I insist on them, nay they are REQUIRED, for mountain biking, where you literally stop on a dime and use braking for positional adjustments. I am not convinced they are necessary on the road, so I guess it depends where you primarily ride your bike. My brakes last forever on road and commuting bikes because I am barely using them, relative to a steep downhill mountain bike ride. Maybe class 3 speed it becomes more important to stop faster - I don't have experience there.

Back