Bosch Speed Performance system shuts down mid ride.

elliot friedman

Afternoon people,

I’m in a bit of a dilemma these days with my Bosch Speed Performance powered Felt 85 Sport E.
For some reason, with no apparent catalyst, the entire system goes completely dead in the middle of a ride. It’s completely arbitrary and up to now, unreproducible at will. It began several weeks ago.

After it dies and I turn the system on again without any errors showing, the Intuvia dashboard lights up immediately but it could take up to 20-30 seconds before the peddle assists kicks in again and after that, at a gradual rate.
I’ve taken it to my local dealer who has the diagnostic software to check it and there are no message errors recorded. Diagnostically, everything appeared normal and when they took it for a test ride, naturally, no incident had occurred. It could happen at any time.

For the last two days no problems. Today it cut off at the end of a 45 minute ride, however, the time before, twice within the first 10 minutes of a ride so I don’t think it’s a thermal issue. I cleaned all of the terminals on the battery, the receiving terminals on the bike and the ones under and on the Intuvia head set. Nothing seems loose on the surface. While riding I tried jarring the motor, the headset and the battery but nothing made a difference. I can't "create" the symptoms. The motor itself performs normally when on.

I wrote to a representative I've spoken with in the past at Bosch to see what my next step would be in rectifying this issue.

Hopefully these symptoms might ring a bell for him or someone in these forums.

Thanks all and be well........elliot

Last edited:
Check to see if your battery has the proper tension as there is an adjustment screw that’s under a plastic cover near the lock cylinder.

Also, you might want to take a look at power receptacle at the battery and the contact pins on the battery cradle. In some cases, it the plastic heats up and becomes deformed causing random power drops.

It happened to me last summer and my dealer replaced the battery harness.

Thanks Hurricane for your quick response I'll check it out when I get home even though everything looked pristine. Ya never know.

Usually the Bosch diagnostic tool pulls up any issues with the motor. Start a log of all your issues and keep working with your dealer to try and resolve it.

Hurricane, a technician at Bosch suggested that, I too, should replace the power harness between the battery and the motor. Still under warranty so trying that is a no-brainer. Extremely helpful and accommodating. I'll keep you informed.

I had a mid-ride random shutdown of my own last week. It was about 90 degrees out and around mile 15 of my 17 mile commute the system turned off. I got it to power back on a short while later, but when I got home the receptacle in the battery that houses the connectors to the battery mount were so hot they temporarily fused into the mount. Once it cooled off I was able to remove the battery but upon visual inspection the negative contacts on the battery are visibly warped. There is even some black residue on the contact pins that indicate an electric arc between the contacts.

I’ll be taking the battery and bike back to the dealer this weekend for a service appointment.

Fingers crossed, I'm hoping that it'll be a warranty replacement on the battery. In my opinion it's not safe to charge or use on the bike.

Elliot,

I'm having the same issue myself. It's a Bosch Active Line Plus engine on a 2018 Cube Touring Hybrid Pro 400.
The random mid-ride shutdowns (followed by Intuvia reboots) started after the last firmware update - as far as I can tell.

But what exactly is the cause? I haven't a clue.

Were you able to figure it out? If so, what was the solution?

Thanks,

T

Check if there is play in the display. When the bike is on and grab the display and wiggle it. There should be a very small amount of play. If there is too much play the display can disconnect from the bike while riding and the bike will shut down. Your symptoms seem like this could be the case.

Check if there is play in the display. When the bike is on and grab the display and wiggle it. There should be a very small amount of play. If there is too much play the display can disconnect from the bike while riding and the bike will shut down. Your symptoms seem like this could be the case.

I had a similar situation resulting in COMM errors. I have 5 spring loaded contact pins behind the display that meet with the controller harness. When they lose contact, the system either will shutdown or trigger some type of error code. I reworked the pins and re-tightened mounting screws as a temp fix.

I have a similar problem I just posted about in the Maintenance and Known Issues thread before I saw this one. Mine powers down seemingly when I hit a bump, but just randomly, and not on every ride, but its getting worse. I did notice the battery terminal on the bike where the battery plugs in have indents in them where the battery contacts make contact. Its still under warranty so I'll bring it in soon.
Attachment-1.jpeg

I have a similar problem I just posted about in the Maintenance and Known Issues thread before I saw this one. Mine powers down seemingly when I hit a bump, but just randomly, and not on every ride, but its getting worse. I did notice the battery terminal on the bike where the battery plugs in have indents in them where the battery contacts make contact. Its still under warranty so I'll bring it in soon.
View attachment 27697
I think the indents are acceptable. Issues start to crop up if the battery has too much play. On my bike the battery was too loose and the looseness caused arcing from the battery contact to the receptacle on the bike frame. You can adjust the battery lock tension by removing the plastic cover on the lock cylinder and adjusting the upper mounting bracket.

I think the indents are acceptable. Issues start to crop up if the battery has too much play. On my bike the battery was too loose and the looseness caused arcing from the battery contact to the receptacle on the bike frame. You can adjust the battery lock tension by removing the plastic cover on the lock cylinder and adjusting the upper mounting bracket.

Thanks for the reply! I did tighten those and also have a strap around the battery to keep it secure. The battery doesn't move at all. I'm just thinking that the indents are causing the battery contacts to loose contact and shut the system down. However, I've tested just taking the battery off the bike while the system is on and when I do that the lcd stays on, so its probably something else.

The only other thing I can think of is a loose connector from the battery to the motor, or a loose connection from the button pad and/or display unit.

The only other thing I can think of is a loose connector from the battery to the motor, or a loose connection from the button pad and/or display unit.
Yeah. I've jiggled all the connectors I can see on the outside. I'll take it into the shop in the next few weeks and have them look at it since it still under warranty. Thank you for your help!!

All- Please keep us posted of the outcome of your nagging errors and shutdown issues. We all can benefit greatly from the resolution applied at your LBS.;)

Yeah. I've jiggled all the connectors I can see on the outside. I'll take it into the shop in the next few weeks and have them look at it since it still under warranty. Thank you for your help!!

Hello all, just wanted to follow up on this. I took the advice of a few people here and tightened the battery mounts and that did seem to fix it. I've had a strap around the battery since I bought the bike to hold the battery in place better but I guess that wasn't enough. Anyway, I have over a hundred miles without a shutdown. Thanks everyone!!

Back