Bosch Speed Performance system shuts down mid ride.

This has started happening to me as of this week and it's really frustrating. Today alone my bike shut down 11 times on my commute to / from work. Spoke with Nahim at Propel Bikes via email, and he echoed @Chris Nolte's comments saying that it's likely an issue with either the Intuvia display or its mount. Going to stop by Propel later this week and have them check it out — will report back!

This has started happening to me as of this week and it's really frustrating. Today alone my bike shut down 11 times on my commute to / from work. Spoke with Nahim at Propel Bikes via email, and he echoed @Chris Nolte's comments saying that it's likely an issue with either the Intuvia display or its mount. Going to stop by Propel later this week and have them check it out — will report back!
Good luck with that
I know the feeling

Update!

Stopped by Propel today and got a new Intuvia + display mount installed per their recommendation. Also asked them to tighten the display mount so the Intuvia doesn't swivel back every time I ride over bumps. Haven't ridden much since then, but no problems so far! They said that if it keeps happening, replacing the cable connecting the display to the motor should fix it.

As a side note, I learned that the odometer reading on the display always comes from the motor so swapping displays won't delete your total mileage (and, alternatively, putting your display on another bike will show that bike's mileage).

Update!

Stopped by Propel today and got a new Intuvia + display mount installed per their recommendation. Also asked them to tighten the display mount so the Intuvia doesn't swivel back every time I ride over bumps. Haven't ridden much since then, but no problems so far! They said that if it keeps happening, replacing the cable connecting the display to the motor should fix it.

As a side note, I learned that the odometer reading on the display always comes from the motor so swapping displays won't delete your total mileage (and, alternatively, putting your display on another bike will show that bike's mileage).

I wish this was true on my BH (Easy Motion) commuter. Changed out the display to a center mount and it reset the odometer to zero, even though I had well over 2000mls on the bike. I suppose every mfg is different. I assumed that the data would be held either in the motor (as stated) or in the controller. Apparently that does not hold true with all brands.

Update!

Update 2:

Thought replacing the display + mount did the trick after I went for a 20 mile ride and didn't experience any shutdowns. Unfortunately, the next day my bike shut down 7 times during another 20 mile ride and today it shut down 5 times over the course of a few miles. Frustrating to say the least.

Will be heading back to Propel towards the end of the week to figure out what's happening.

@bob armani Sorry to hear that! Wonder if the display is simply not pulling odometer info for some reason or if it's actually not being stored in the motor / controller.

Try tightening your battery mount by bringing them a little closer to each other. Just slightly. Worked for a couple of inmates including myself.
Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be. Healthy new year to ya.

Update 2:

Thought replacing the display + mount did the trick after I went for a 20 mile ride and didn't experience any shutdowns. Unfortunately, the next day my bike shut down 7 times during another 20 mile ride and today it shut down 5 times over the course of a few miles. Frustrating to say the least.

Will be heading back to Propel towards the end of the week to figure out what's happening.

@bob armani Sorry to hear that! Wonder if the display is simply not pulling odometer info for some reason or if it's actually not being stored in the motor / controller.

Really, I asked Court about this as well and he just stated that it was an unknown phenomenon that has not been answered by the techs at Easy Motion. We can all assume the system does not have firmware in place that s/b saving it somewhere. Live and learn.
Good luck with your fix at Propel. Chris and associates look like a great group of people to work with!

The most likely fixes are either cleaning the contacts at the bottom of the battery where the battery tranfers electrons into the bike, both on the male side and the female or adjusting the fit of the battery on the mounts such that a more reliable connection is made by said contacts.

hought replacing the display + mount did the trick after I went for a 20 mile ride and didn't experience any shutdowns. Unfortunately, the next day my bike shut down 7 times during another 20 mile ride and today it shut down 5 times over the course of a few miles. Frustrating to say the least.

Gazelle Arroyo's had some QC problems regarding this. I have read few reports of Arroyo's having problems like this.
But I am sure Chris and his team would have you covered.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll be stopping by Propel this weekend so I'm hopeful my Arroyo will be rideable again soon.

@Ravi Kempaiah Were the QC issues you heard about pertaining the battery mount like mentioned above?

@michal - following the thread. Also purchased from Propel. Ebike cut off (RM - Tinker), display would not turn on and when it finally did, it only showed ‘off’ . The intuvia display didn’t respond to the thumb controller. Finally after about 1 minute it responded. Luckily rode it home without issue. I did not want to ride that thing w/o power over the Queensborough Bridge so glad I made it. Keep us posted on this!

@michal - following the thread. Also purchased from Propel. Ebike cut off (RM - Tinker), display would not turn on and when it finally did, it only showed ‘off’ . The intuvia display didn’t respond to the thumb controller. Finally after about 1 minute it responded. Luckily rode it home without issue. I did not want to ride that thing w/o power over the Queensborough Bridge so glad I made it. Keep us posted on this!
@Chainlink Yes! I've experienced very similar behavior, although it seems to vary occasionally. Glad you were able to make it over the bridge — that's a rough climb with a dead motor. Worst I've experienced so far is when the bike cut out in the middle of an intersection on the Brooklyn side of the Manhattan Bridge just as I was starting from a full stop.

I've got an appointment with Propel tomorrow (Saturday) so I'll report back soon!

Quick update —

Dropped my Arroyo off at Propel this afternoon. They'll be inspecting it this week to see what's going on, but seemed confident it can be fixed without too much hassle. One of their customers had experienced similar behavior with a different bike and they said replacing the display, mount, and wires connecting it to the motor seemed to fix it. They'll be checking my battery and its connections too, though, to make sure there are no issues there. I should have the bike back later this week so I'll keep everyone posted!

Interesting side note — they said Gazelle previously had issues with some of their handlebars warping the Intuvia display / mount. Specifically, the handlebars were curved where the Intuvia was mounted, which was causing damage to the display and issues with the bike not functioning properly.

Quick update —

Dropped my Arroyo off at Propel this afternoon. They'll be inspecting it this week to see what's going on, but seemed confident it can be fixed without too much hassle. One of their customers had experienced similar behavior with a different bike and they said replacing the display, mount, and wires connecting it to the motor seemed to fix it. They'll be checking my battery and its connections too, though, to make sure there are no issues there. I should have the bike back later this week so I'll keep everyone posted!

Interesting side note — they said Gazelle previously had issues with some of their handlebars warping the Intuvia display / mount. Specifically, the handlebars were curved where the Intuvia was mounted, which was causing damage to the display and issues with the bike not functioning properly.
So I got my Arroyo back on Thursday after Propel replaced the cable from the display to the motor and tightened the battery mount. Sadly, I had to take it back yet again today because the bike is still shutting down.

Propel said they're a bit stumped as they've never seen this issue continue after replacing the display, display mount, and display cable. They're thinking about replacing the cable from the motor to the battery and possibly the battery itself, although they'll be reaching out to both Gazelle and Bosch to get their take. They're wondering if I may have gotten a lemon of a bike.

I have to say, Propel has been great throughout this whole ordeal and I really appreciate all their help. To be honest, though, the bike isn't even fun for me anymore at this point. I've only had it a couple months and it feels like it breaks every time I touch it which simply doesn't make me feel confident riding it.

I'm starting to look at other bikes that might suit me better, but I'll keep everyone posted on what ends up happening.

That is a real shame and I am sorry to hear about all your difficulties. I love my Arroyo so far, but your story makes me nervous.

A real bummer to start out. We all hope you get it fixed and enjoy. Always a roll of the dice after spending big $$$s. Good Luck with the next attempt by Propel. Good thing you have Chris and company assisting. Looks like you are in good hands with their company!

I had similar problem with an Evox bike build in Quebec Canada. Always some kind of problems. Could not trust it anymore. After a year of usage, the company gave me a brand new bike wich I sold after a few days. I bought a Moustache Samedi 27.5 Open road 5. I love it. I canmot stand to worry all the time when I am riding. Hope this one last longer. So far (200miles) so good. Good luck with yours.

I had similar problem with an Evox bike build in Quebec Canada. Always some kind of problems. Could not trust it anymore. After a year of usage, the company gave me a brand new bike wich I sold after a few days. I bought a Moustache Samedi 27.5 Open road 5. I love it. I canmot stand to worry all the time when I am riding. Hope this one last longer. So far (200miles) so good. Good luck with yours.
You hit the nail on the head — that's exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. Glad you ended up with a bike you're happy with!

The cheapest ebike I had before this one (R-M) never gave me a problem. I have to say though, I have a nicer ride with the R-M. @michal - sorry to hear this isn’t resolved yet. I was at Propel Saturday too but I got there at 11. So far no issue on the ride home.

I'm just experiencing similar issues with my Haibike AllMtn. It's shut down twice on me, Intuvia shuts down & won't turn back on, dead. BOSCH bike battery has full charge both times. I've not long had my motor replaced (at 1400km ODO due to a worn axle bearing) and this issue has developed since then. The software was also updated, and upgraded at the time. Both times it's occurred I was 1.5 hrs into a ride, and at approx the same distance travelled - approx 19km. I have been advised by BOSCH, through my LBS to charge the Intuvia separately ie remove it from the bike and charge via USB, every few months. It's currently on it's way back to BOSCH along with the handlebar remote unit, hopefully for replacement. Thinking the battery within the Intuvia is failing and will only hold charge for 1.5hrs before it simply dies, along with my pedal power!
It's very disappointing, and as someone has said above, it takes the fun out of your riding as you feel you can't trust your bike, it's become unreliable. For me, I ride on tracks & trails where there is often very little to no mobile phone service (rural Queensland, Australia) so walking a 23kg bike out to where there's enough service to call for a lift isn't much fun!

Back