Bosch Speed Performance system shuts down mid ride.

Yes, using the information provided by Alaskan in another post, I installed the Nyon and replaced the thumb controller myself. It was a simple job. The hardest part was getting the Android Ebike Connect app installed on my phone as Bosch was blocking the download in North America. But they have since removed that restriction, so even that is an easy task now. There are still some Nyons available on eBay. That is where I bought mine.

Thanks for your reply. Contacting Gazelle and getting anyone to respond has been like trying to find lipstick for chickens. I'll see what they say when I take the bike in next week. If they chose to change the mount, I'm OK with that. Don't think that I'll let them downgrade to the Purion.
Did you install the Nyon yourself? I was thinking about that but reading that they aren't really available in the US.

The Nyon uses the Intuvia mount, so if that’s your issue changing the display is unlikely to help. The Purion does not use the Untuvia mount which is why you were told to downgrade.

I’ve had the Nyon shut down on me while riding, but it’s been infrequent. Sometimes it reboots automatically. This is a 2019 bike.

The Nyon is not sold by dealers in the US but is available on eBay. The “used” 1GB models always look new. It’s plug-and-play and the Android e-connect app is available from the Play store. Not sure about iPhone version but would guess available as well at this point.

The Nyon has a slightly different switch/button control pad — it includes a button to switch between Nyon screens. This is also an eBay item. The Intuvia switch works with the Nyon for late 2017- onward but you can only switch screens on the Nyon unit itself. For older bikes, the Intuvia button pad does not work with the Nyon.

There are numerous threads here on Nyon configuration. Use the search and pick the most recent if you have questions. The thread author will probably be @Alaskan.

Hope you all work out your problems but this is a great example of all the people saying that "you get what you pay for". Mega expensive, top tier euro companies and when there's a problem little if any support or real solutions. Kind of like buying a BMW with a straight six, having a problem with it and having the dealer tell you the solution is to install a 4 cylinder. At least with a cheap bike if something goes wrong you haven't lost as much money.

Hope you all work out your problems but this is a great example of all the people saying that "you get what you pay for". Mega expensive, top tier euro companies and when there's a problem little if any support or real solutions. Kind of like buying a BMW with a straight six, having a problem with it and having the dealer tell you the solution is to install a 4 cylinder. At least with a cheap bike if something goes wrong you haven't lost as much money.

In defense of mega expensive top tier Euro bikes, I’d say that this sort of issue isn’t common. Nobody would buy them if so.

Nyon has never been supported or sold in the US. However they have been available on ebay for a while now and still are from time to time. There is quite a bit of info on this forum about the Nyon and how to make it work in the US to be found by searching this forum. The installation and set up is all quite easy.

Before the low price, internet bikers pile on here, some perspective on Bosch is called for.

Bosch does not make any ebikes. They make and support the E parts of the bike for over 30 different manufacturers. Bosch has a well deserved reputation for both build quality and product support. Bosch e bike systems are not found only on the "mega expensive" bikes. They can be found on quite a few bikes is the mid range in terms of price as well as many of the top end bikes.

My own experience is on five different Bosch equipped ebikes, riding almost 13,000 miles in the last 18 months, without any problems in any electrical components. But that is just me.

Every dealer/service department I have spoken with has indicated fewer problems with their Bosch equipped bikes than any other. This does not mean that they are perfect and trouble free. They are fully supported though with a tech service line and a solid supply chain with any and all parts that may be needed to get any bike back up and running. Does any Alibaba bike offer this?

I know for a fact that Bosch has service training events in all major cities and many smaller ones to keep front line service techs up to speed and current on issues and fixes. If a particular dealer doesn't want to pay their service guy to spend a day learning about the ins and outs of servicing the bikes they sell, that is on them, not the bike manufacturer or Bosch.

It sounds like the dealer in the case of @simonns was less than knowledgeable about the equipment he was selling and just resorted to the, "let's switch out this and see if it works" strategy. To give him credit, at least he was there trying to help and get the bike back on the road.

That is 100% more than one would ever get from a mail order outfit, sorting out issues on the phone or in a on line chat session, at best...and then sending a part in the mail and having to replace it yourself or pay a local bike shop to do it.

Hi Alaskan, I'm not trying to argue with you or knock Bosch, I own a euro-bike (although I never expect to get much help with it), but trying to point out the disaster that is accepted as so-called support from ebike vendors. As an example, the current Toyota Supra is basically the same as a BMW Z4 - tons of parts made by BMW such as the engine. Does anyone in their right mind think that if there was a problem with a Supra the Toyota dealer would say "not our problem, let BMW deal with it"? Or Apple saying that an iphone warranty problem isn't their issue because it's a Sony lens assembly? Yet that sort of blame-shifting is absolutely rift in the ebike world. If a car dealer goes out of business the buyer isn't dependant on that particular dealer, but in the bike world a LBS does what it wants to do, including only servicing bikes purchased from their shop. A reputable vendor takes responsibility for the finished product and doesn't leave the customer in the lurch. But take a look at ebike "warranties" that do things like not cover labor costs (Haibike), require the bike owner to take all sorts of self-help measures or stop making replacement parts for things like batteries. What I'm trying to point out is that this may be acceptable for cheap bikes (since one has to realize that there's no margin left for any sort of service) but it is absolute insanity when talking about a 10k Stromer or R & M. It doesn't help any that vendors are rarely called out for it - the reviews on the site talk about the great 2 year warranty on a bike, for example, but don't mention that the warranty excludes so many things as to amounting to the vendor being able to fix what they want and when they want to. I assume that eventually some reputable vendors will come into being and sell ebikes with real support and a decent dealer network but until that time comes it's pretty much caveat emptor

Hi Alaskan, I'm not trying to argue with you or knock Bosch, I own a euro-bike (although I never expect to get much help with it), but trying to point out the disaster that is accepted as so-called support from ebike vendors. As an example, the current Toyota Supra is basically the same as a BMW Z4 - tons of parts made by BMW such as the engine. Does anyone in their right mind think that if there was a problem with a Supra the Toyota dealer would say "not our problem, let BMW deal with it"? Or Apple saying that an iphone warranty problem isn't their issue because it's a Sony lens assembly? Yet that sort of blame-shifting is absolutely rift in the ebike world. If a car dealer goes out of business the buyer isn't dependant on that particular dealer, but in the bike world a LBS does what it wants to do, including only servicing bikes purchased from their shop. A reputable vendor takes responsibility for the finished product and doesn't leave the customer in the lurch. But take a look at ebike "warranties" that do things like not cover labor costs (Haibike), require the bike owner to take all sorts of self-help measures or stop making replacement parts for things like batteries. What I'm trying to point out is that this may be acceptable for cheap bikes (since one has to realize that there's no margin left for any sort of service) but it is absolute insanity when talking about a 10k Stromer or R & M. It doesn't help any that vendors are rarely called out for it - the reviews on the site talk about the great 2 year warranty on a bike, for example, but don't mention that the warranty excludes so many things as to amounting to the vendor being able to fix what they want and when they want to. I assume that eventually some reputable vendors will come into being and sell ebikes with real support and a decent dealer network but until that time comes it's pretty much caveat emptor
I see your point. I think that the analogy has one significant difference and that is that all auto dealerships, while locally owned, are essentially franchises and though not manufacturer owned, are under contract with the manufacturing company to handle warranty issues according to specified procedures and policies. Clearly that level of control does not exist in a local bike shop that sells and services many different brands of bikes.

I suspect that we would agree that under these circumstances, the integrity, training level, expertise and customer service reputation of the local dealer is the controlling factor. As such, it is incumbent on the buyer to be sure that they are buying from a dealer with a reputation for good service and having a trained shop personnel. The problem arises when the brand of bike you want is sold locally by a shop with a less than stellar reputation. Then you have to choose to go further afield or buy a different bike, less than ideal choices.

Even a lower price ebike is a major purchase. To your point, every consumer has a right to expect proper service from the retailer from whom they made their purchase. Given the variability of people's character and expertise, it is always wise not to assume that will be the case, but rather to verify prior to purchase.

Thanks for your reply. Contacting Gazelle and getting anyone to respond has been like trying to find lipstick for chickens. I'll see what they say when I take the bike in next week. If they chose to change the mount, I'm OK with that. Don't think that I'll let them downgrade to the Purion.
Did you install the Nyon yourself? I was thinking about that but reading that they aren't really available in the US.
I have never been a fan of the cheaper Purion display on any Bosch E-bike. I have always believed it was a measure Bosch took to save $$$ on production costs across the board. If or when I purchase, I will either get an upgrade to Intuvia, or change to the Nyon. The Purion display is not a very well made or robust display IMO. If you are paying a high price for any of these bikes, I would think it should come equipped with something better than a Purion.

I have never been a fan of the cheaper Purion display on any Bosch E-bike. I have always believed it was a measure Bosch took to save $$$ on production costs across the board. If or when I purchase, I will either get an upgrade to Intuvia, or change to the Nyon. The Purion display is not a very well made or robust display IMO. If you are paying a high price for any of these bikes, I would think it should come equipped with something better than a Purion.
I think of the Purion as a simple but solid display that is for purists , hence the name. Those who do not want a big screen cluttering up their bars. My wife has a Purion and she prefers my Intuvia but I cannot find any fault with the Purion and I think it suits a mountain bike better than the Intuvia. Nevertheless I would not trade her now that I am used to the Intuvia. I am too lazy to return to scrolling with just 2 buttons.

Hey Alaskan, how are ya,

Sometimes the "let's try it and see" is the only course available. My bosch system is still cutting out intermittently and I started this thread a year ago. Once I tightened my battery and it was good for 9-10 months without any issues. Then it started again in July, just before my warranty was about to run out so I brought it into Propel and had a claim filed with Bosch and they changed the mount for the display (no change). Now Propel started a policy that they aren't servicing anything that wasn't purchased from them even though they started working on my bike previously. I guess they are overwhelmed with their own repairs. So now I've been dealing with my place of purchase and they and Bosch are honoring the warranty even though it's expired. I'm clinging on by a claim.
What I started to say is that my bike store is going by Bosch troubleshooting personnel's suggestions. Which makes sense. From the onset, I've never had a error message come up from 3 diagnostic reports. First they tried replacing the intuvia mount, then the harness between the motor and the battery, no change. Currently I'm waiting for a new Intuvia display. I'm a little skeptical. I guess it's the logical course of action when there's no definitive answer . No surprise, it's from the least to the most expensive. There's got to be a fix for the bike's issue. Hopefully sooner than later. It was a tough summer at times without it.

Thanks for listening. I just want to add: Bumps, no bumps, it has occurred with either. Tire magnet is spot on, though sometimes when the intuvia was restarted it took longer than normal for the speedometer numbers to display. Just a thought.

Good luck to me.

Be well..............el

Hey Alaskan, how are ya,

Sometimes the "let's try it and see" is the only course available. My bosch system is still cutting out intermittently and I started this thread a year ago. Once I tightened my battery and it was good for 9-10 months without any issues. Then it started again in July, just before my warranty was about to run out so I brought it into Propel and had a claim filed with Bosch and they changed the mount for the display (no change). Now Propel started a policy that they aren't servicing anything that wasn't purchased from them even though they started working on my bike previously. I guess they are overwhelmed with their own repairs. So now I've been dealing with my place of purchase and they and Bosch are honoring the warranty even though it's expired. I'm clinging on by a claim.
What I started to say is that my bike store is going by Bosch troubleshooting personnel's suggestions. Which makes sense. From the onset, I've never had a error message come up from 3 diagnostic reports. First they tried replacing the intuvia mount, then the harness between the motor and the battery, no change. Currently I'm waiting for a new Intuvia display. I'm a little skeptical. I guess it's the logical course of action when there's no definitive answer . No surprise, it's from the least to the most expensive. There's got to be a fix for the bike's issue. Hopefully sooner than later. It was a tough summer at times without it.

Thanks for listening. I just want to add: Bumps, no bumps, it has occurred with either. Tire magnet is spot on, though sometimes when the intuvia was restarted it took longer than normal for the speedometer numbers to display. Just a thought.

Good luck to me.

Be well..............el
I am definitely experiencing similar problems on my Gazelle Arroyo and will post with an update in a couple days. It's going to New Wheel tomorrow for their solution to this.

I am definitely experiencing similar problems on my Gazelle Arroyo and will post with an update in a couple days. It's going to New Wheel tomorrow for their solution to this.

Mickey, please keep us abreast as to what steps your LBS takes to try to remedy this issue. I'll buy you dinner for your success if we meet up on a path somewhere.

Best of luck....elliot

I too will be interested in hearing how this issue plays out. With fingers crossed, my Arroyo has performed perfectly so far. I hope this issue gets resolved for you and provides a reasonable explanation for your Arroyo troubles (which could either make me worry or breathe a sigh of relief).

I’ve been riding my Xm700 for a year and a half and 6000 miles and never charged the Intuvia display once. Doesn’t exactly match what you’re being told.
I have same bike and 6000 miles. I’ve had one intuvia display replaced at 3000 miles and now I have the sme problem again. This time they are replacing the mount. I’ve been waiting a month for the part. This is very frustrating

I have same bike and 6000 miles. I’ve had one intuvia display replaced at 3000 miles and now I have the sme problem again. This time they are replacing the mount. I’ve been waiting a month for the part. This is very frustrating

A month for an Intuvia mount? Seems it would have been easier to buy it on eBay!

Bosch agreed to send a second replacement at no charge
It’s $43 at Electric Cyclery through the official Bosch supply chain. It says “out of stock,” mirroring your predicament.

A US seller on eBay has new mounts with the 130mm cable for $44.93 + $3.99 shipping and free returns.

I’d be tempted if I were annoyed by the downtime, although there’s no guarantee of problem solved.

Back