Bosch Intuvia battery

Over50

Just wondering if anyone knows how to tell if the battery inside the Intuvia display is fully charged? I went through the settings and read the manual and don't see any info on a battery indicator for the display itself. Here's what the Bosch Intuvia manual says:

To charge the internal battery pack, put the on-board computer back in the holder 4 (when a battery pack is inserted in the eBike). Switch the eBike battery pack on by its On/Off button (see battery pack operating instructions). You can also charge the on-board computer via the USB port. Open the protective cap 8. Connect the USB port 7 of the onboard computer via a suitable USB cable to a standard USB charger or the USB port of a computer (5 V charging voltage, max. 500 mA charging current). “USB connected” will appear in text indication d of the on-board computer.

The manual says nothing about how long it takes to charge or how to tell how much charge it has.

Now that winter is upon us and I will probably be riding less, I wanted to make sure my Intuvia displays are fully charged. I plug into my laptop as indicated in the instructions and the unit cycles on/off every couple of minutes. Is that ok? Anyone charged from a laptop for winter storage? I'm concluding there isn't any way to tell how much charge the display has? Thanks for any info.

[ADMIN EDIT] Hi guys, if your Intuvia isn't responding it might be due to an expired coin battery inside the display panel. You can use a small Philips cross head screwdriver to open the unit and replace the CR2016 Lithium-ion battery cell like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are going to store the main bike battery off the bike for the winter? I was able to ride quite a bit last winter, almost no snow. So have no experience of letting the bike sit idle.

You are going to store the main bike battery off the bike for the winter? I was able to ride quite a bit last winter, almost no snow. So have no experience of letting the bike sit idle.
Yes, I usually store the batteries in a home made battery box when not in use. But more so I was referring to the control unit which has its own battery. I was warned not to let that thing go dead. I think it only charges when attached to the bike and the bike is powered on (or by connecting it to a laptop). But I've pretty much decided just to power up my bikes from time to time and let the bike batteries drain a bit and to recharge the controller. Probably better for both the bike and the controller batteries (as opposed to letting them all sit for 3-4 months per my initial plan). Like you though, I'm hoping the weather allows for some intermittent use between December and March.

I knew you were talking about the control unit battery, but I thought it would not lose charge if connected to the bike. Looks like I am mistaken.

As long as the display is not plugged onto a bike, the display will accurately read the charge currently within the display's internal battery.

When the display is plugged into a bike, the display will read the charge within the bike's battery.

As long as the display is not plugged onto a bike, the display will accurately read the charge currently within the display's internal battery.
When the display is plugged into a bike, the display will read the charge within the bike's battery.

Nice info Leandro! Yes, I didn't notice the display was giving a different battery reading when removed from the bike. Very helpful and thanks.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to tell if the battery inside the Intuvia display is fully charged? I went through the settings and read the manual and don't see any info on a battery indicator for the display itself. Here's what the Bosch Intuvia manual says:

To charge the internal battery pack, put the on-board computer back in the holder 4 (when a battery pack is inserted in the eBike). Switch the eBike battery pack on by its On/Off button (see battery pack operating instructions). You can also charge the on-board computer via the USB port. Open the protective cap 8. Connect the USB port 7 of the onboard computer via a suitable USB cable to a standard USB charger or the USB port of a computer (5 V charging voltage, max. 500 mA charging current). “USB connected” will appear in text indication d of the on-board computer.

The manual says nothing about how long it takes to charge or how to tell how much charge it has.

Now that winter is upon us and I will probably be riding less, I wanted to make sure my Intuvia displays are fully charged. I plug into my laptop as indicated in the instructions and the unit cycles on/off every couple of minutes. Is that ok? Anyone charged from a laptop for winter storage? I'm concluding there isn't any way to tell how much charge the display has? Thanks for any info.

[ADMIN EDIT] Hi guys, if your Intuvia isn't responding it might be due to an expired coin battery inside the display panel. You can use a small Philips cross head screwdriver to open the unit and replace the CR2016 Lithium-ion battery cell like this.
The intuvia battery is a little 3.7 volt solder-in battery, NOT a button cell. That is the Purion. The Intuvia battery is easy to replace if you're handy with a small soldering iron. (Low power, NOT a gun!) At the end of the post, there's a link to a youtube video with clear instructions and amazon links for the battery. It's an easy job, and the youtube directions are great. Disclaimer/legal stuff: Proceed at your own risk, of course. This will void new bike/display warranty. If your bike's under warranty or if you're hesitant about your repair skills, take it to your dealer.

Last edited:
Back