Error 640 on Bosch Powertube 500 battery after 1000 hours of use

Yes I carry a new Intuvia display. I have been riding with the brand new display for about 50 km. It didn’t solve the problem.

I have reached the Indonesian city of Pontianak on Borneo where I will reach the Singapore area in the next days using ferries.

I ordered on eBay a new support for the Intuvia display. I will try to swap it to check if the issue comes from the support.

I will also attempt the Bosch drive unit swap with the new motor I have been carrying in my panniers. The current motor now has 49,000 km. I will go to a bicycle store so they can help me remove the pedals and the sprocket. I found YouTube videos explaining how to swap a Bosch ebike motor.

Wildtrak
Thank you very much for your offer.
Yes I would be very glad to test the batteries with you.
I can find a way to pay you for your time.

I am still riding. The issue has not disappeared and has not gotten worse either. I have to reboot the batteries once in a while when they shut off.

I am now in South Thailand riding north along the East coast. I hope to reach Bangkok around September 13 or 14 and will spend several days there.
This is where it will easier for me to find a PC. I will purchase the micro USD cable, they are easy to find and cheap.
I will send you a PM once I have arrived and we can set up a convenient time to check the batteries together.

So we were able to do a remote diagnose (bike connected to a computer in an internet cafe).
And - just as expected - we see this error on the batteries:
Critical error: Debalance voltage limit exceeded.
⇒ no voltage supply, system shutdown
This can happen after over 600 charging cycles.
So there is not much that can be done, except software update and always fully charge the batteries until the LEDs turn off. This may take care of the balancing to the point where the batteries don't turn off anymore.

And I must say that it is an impressive bike tour across Europe and all over Asia.

Thank you very much Wildtrack,.
It has been very helpful.
And thank you all for your suggestions.

I am now in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

I would purchase new batteries if I could but they are not available in this part of the world.

I tried to order those Bosch Powertube 500 online on eBay and other website but sellers are unable to deliver in South East Asia because these batteries are not accepted by airlines.

The nearest location where I could purchase these batteries is South Korea where Riese und Muller has dealerships. This is about 4 000 kilometers from where I am now.

I am considering trying to reach South Korea with my current setting. But I won’t attempt to start this journey before January because I want to avoid riding in North China and South Korea in winter.

My ebike, after 81 000 kilometers hasn’t had a maintenance at a dealership ever so finding a dealership would be a good opportunity to check everything on the ebike.

So we were able to do a remote diagnose (bike connected to a computer in an internet cafe).
And - just as expected - we see this error on the batteries:
Critical error: Debalance voltage limit exceeded.
⇒ no voltage supply, system shutdown
This can happen after over 600 charging cycles.
So there is not much that can be done, except software update and always fully charge the batteries until the LEDs turn off. This may take care of the balancing to the point where the batteries don't turn off anymore.

And I must say that it is an impressive bike tour across Europe and all over Asia.
Is there anyway we can check the current battery cycles for our bikes or do we need a diagnostic tool for that too?

600 cycles didn’t seem a heap initially but then I realise if I charge my bike 1/week on average and I’ve had it for 3yrs I’m likely only in the 150-200 charge cycles range

But I won’t attempt to start this journey before January
It usually does not matter if you leave Bosch batteries stored for 2 years, but this is a little different with your batteries now.
If you are not using these worn out batteries over a longer period of time, they can get too far out of balance where they don't accept any charge anymore.
So I suggest to keep them fully charged and balance them maybe once a month. Then you should make it another 4000km, no problem.

Is there anyway we can check the current battery cycles for our bikes
Only with the diagnostic software. But if you never had a 6xx error, there is nothing to worry about.

Back