Bosch Enginge Swapping ( Active Line for Performance Line)

Probably nobody here has ever attempted doing such a swap.
Just try it and tell us why you didn't succeed :)
Or, did!
Bear in mind you would probably need to swap all the electronics so the Bosch system thinks the Scott is a Trek and vice versa.

This question is way beyond my pay grade, but my uninformed opinion is that the effort involved and risk of messing up two working ebikes far outweigh any potential gain you might realize.

I think the gen3 active line and gen2 performance line are in the same housing so it might be possible. But doesn't seem like it would be worth the work involved with the risks of throwing error codes especially if the bikes have different wheel sizes.

Maybe just borrow your brother's battery and ride in turbo when it's windy out.

I would like to thank to everybody for responsivness!
And since I would be first among us, and I dont know a thing about electronic and stuff, I'll just push harder or borrow my brothers bike, since he's not using it anyway.
Didn't even thought about Gen2, Gen3 differences at all.
But there might be a valid and good reason why there is no YouTube videos or anything on forums :).
Will put sensor out, magnet on pedals, cheat the system and call it a day :D

Once again, than you guys and have a good one!

To be honest, Stef, that might not work (if you tried the swap). One of the reason is Bosch E-Bike is one of the most restrictive e-bike systems out in the market, closely working with OEMs (e-bike brands using Bosch system). Bosch is paranoiac about tampering with their motors, so the most probable outcome would be a series of error codes and nothing working. (This is what @rich c is saying).

Yet other big brands do not allow swapping their motors either. The reason is, a brand takes responsibility for e-bike safety and integrity. If you saved on some motor by buying a cheaper e-bike model, by no way will the manufacturer replace your motor with another model (and you cannot just buy a big brand motor in the aftermarket, it is all about the dealer).

The idea of borrowing the stronger e-bike from your brother is the best!

To be honest, Stef, that might not work (if you tried the swap). One of the reason is Bosch E-Bike is one of the most restrictive e-bike systems out in the market, closely working with OEMs (e-bike brands using Bosch system). Bosch is paranoiac about tampering with their motors, so the most probable outcome would be a series of error codes and nothing working. (This is what @rich c is saying).

Yet other big brands do not allow swapping their motors either. The reason is, a brand takes responsibility for e-bike safety and integrity. If you saved on some motor by buying a cheaper e-bike model, by no way will the manufacturer replace your motor with another model (and you cannot just buy a big brand motor in the aftermarket, it is all about the dealer).

The idea of borrowing the stronger e-bike from your brother is the best!
Well I see that you Rich and Stefan know few things on this matter and I will listen to advice and not scrap 2 bicycles for 20 more Nm of tourqe and lots of possible errors.
It makes sense that they have thought in advance about things like this and it was fishy to me that theres nothing online on this subject..
Trek Powerfly is size M while Scot is L, thats why Im avoidng it, im 188cm. But I'll buy higher seatpost, one magnet and squeeze life out of it, cause it just snowed 20+ cm last night here, and Scott with 50mm tarmac tyres is giving me laughs and fun, but Im all over the road. Trek on the other hand has 29" offroad tyres. So now choice is obvious!

Thank you very much guys for all the info and different points of view that didnt ever thought about :)

Just to add a data point for future thread searches: I did have someone local to me who was selling a PL Speed motor because they had supposedly swapped to a CX on their bike. It was plausible as those are the same line/mounts and the seller said their bike was an Allant which is sold with both motors.

I didn't pursue it as there is no legitimate way for an individual to end up with an extra motor unless they are willing to sacrifice a donor bike.

Back