Bosch Engine Noise

Brambor

I am interested to hear from current Bosch equipped bike owners about the engine noise.

Did the noise bother you at the beginning?

Did you get used to the noise?

Was it never an issue?

I only have internet accounts of this. Watching some youtube videos the Bosch seems to be loud to a point when I would object. At some other ebike forums users compare climbing a hill with Bosch in turbo mode to having a blender under your butt.

Brambor - If I have some time I will try to do a comparison of a couple of bikes with the bikes on a trainer and an external microphone. Remind me if I forget to do this as we have been crazy busy lately. I think it would be helpful to have though.

that would be nice. Thanks. Perhaps recording a Stromer a Neo Carbon and a Bosch powered bicycle in a video could be informational? Maybe it is much to do about nothing. I think Bosch design is the future but I would say that making it quieter in subsequent adaptations should be in order. Maybe just dampening the housing would improve things. I wonder whether the future competitors will isolate the sound better.

I will probably wait till I get the Focus Impulse bikes in later this month and add that into the mix as well. But I think having the Neo and a Stromer would make sense as well.

I will probably wait till I get the Focus Impulse bikes in later this month and add that into the mix as well. But I think having the Neo and a Stromer would make sense as well.

Chris,
Focus Impulse has caught my attention and I have been reading up on them.
Seems like the Impulse 2.0 drive is so good that people are claiming 100 miles on them !!! with 16ah battery.
I will be in NY in July and would love to stop by your store :)

Absolutely! Come on by Ravi, you're always welcome. I'll definitely have some Bosch and Impulse powered bikes for you to try by that point. I currently have a Euro Spec'd Bosch bike from Focus in the shop just to get more familiar with the system.

Chris, the video comparison sounds great! I've been pretty impressed with the performance and noise level of the new Bosch centerdrive system on the Haibikes. Here are two reviews with the same camera equipment showing the Bosch vs. Easy Motion Neo:

Easy Motion Neo 29er

Haibike Superrace

I think the conditions were pretty similar and while I didn't climb any large hills I did take both bikes up to speed and did the frame mount shot (note that I reduced volume for this shot on the Neo 29er). The Bosch is definitely higher pitched but it doesn't seem much louder to me.

Thanks Court. I agree, it must have been the older generations that had noise issues. That Superrace is an amazing bike. I can't wait till we get these Haibike's in! The Countdown is on :)

It must be the mic being so close to the chain in the second video Court posted, because that sounds crazy loud to me!

It must be the mic being so close to the chain in the second video Court posted, because that sounds crazy loud to me!
Hi James,

I can confirm from my Haibike, that the mid drive whilst louder than a hub drive, isn't actually significantly more so. I'd compare it to say the noise that a quiet electric remote control car might make. The microphone position has exaggerated the noise, and the bulk of what you are hearing is the free wheel system when you stop pedalling.

Personally I like the near silence of hub drive, but I went out for ride with a friend this week and he rode my Haibike whilst I rode the BH. The Haibike was actually quieter than I had previously first thought, as I had to keep asking him if was even using the motor. Being along side the Haibike, I wasn't even aware of the motor being used.

The biggest plus to the Bosch system is range. It truly is outstanding.

Thanks Eddie, I figured as much. They wouldn't be getting the recognition if they were really that loud

Did you ever do that noise comparison? Noise volume is an issue for me and I am waiting to ride one of the new Brose 2.0 models because I have heard that they are especially quiet.
A comparative review in test conditions of a range of current systems would be very interesting

I agree with you about noise, the brose I rode was near-silent. Big plus for me. It was a Bulls MTB. Can't tell you if it was a 2.0. I'm hoping for a U.S. dealer to open near me soon in Texas.

Brambor, I ride a Haibike Trekking, gen 2 Bosh system. I have no issues with engine noise. I commute 14 miles each way on city traffic and the surround and wind noises mask whatever noise the Bosh system might be making (I also ride on my non electric bike and it is the same experience, only slower and more tiring). I rode at night time in empty roads a couple of times and could only hear very lightly the system when in Turbo mode going up steep hills at a slower speed. Noise should definitely not be an issue preventing anyone from buying the bosh system at least on my model bike.

I'm sure there bad motors out there. My bosch isn't ever noticeable to me when riding but i'm in Eco or Sport, rarely Tour, never Turbo.
To me the magic of the bosch setup is it's torque sensor setup and how it only gives you the boost that you earn. To get big boost you MUST work hard yourself, then you get rewarded.
If you're lazy or tired and not inputting much effort you won't get much boost at the lower levels.
Lots of other Ebikes want to show you how powerful they are up front (american way?) and give you lots of boost relative to the peddle input given.
I'm pretty sure that LOTS of people that test ride bosch setups never feel how much power they really have because they themselves never peddle hard enough to trigger 'big boost'.

Last edited:
The Bosch motor itself is not terribly noisy, though the drivetrain does produce increased noise as the power level is increased, which is largely offset by keeping it properly lubricated. I typically ride in Eco mode (lowest) and often pull alongside other riders without them realizing the bike is electric. So, as others have pointed out, wind noise through the helmet and any surrounding noise (traffic, tire noise, other noisy, poorly lubed bikes, etc) easily drown out the noise from the motor. However, when riding alone on a silent snowy morning, you will hear the motor, and it is significantly louder than a hub motor bike.

I've now got a Brose powered Bulls E-MTB and I would rate it as silent. Sometimes I think I can hear it, but it might just be road noise.

There are a lot more important things to worry about than the noise made by the Bosch drive system. It has an electric motor and it makes the sound an electric motor makes. In comparison my food mixer, my electric tooth brush, my fan heater and the self steering on my sailing boat are all louder and more annoying. The important thing is the intuitive and efficient way that the system works in comparison to some of the cruder hub based motors.

Back