Bosch controller quit on xm700+

Saratoga Dave

So I just got in from a typical 20 mile ride and suddenly the controller doesn't work at all. System shows Off, cant go up through the boost levels, info button doesn't work, nothing. This is on the button pad at the left end of the handlebars. The Intuvia head works fine as far as info button, lights, but you can't control the assist from there. Anyone seen this one before I loaf I think up and head for the bike shop?

At least it happened at home... I was on some pretty good hills today, and it is humid as hell out!

So I just got in from a typical 20 mile ride and suddenly the controller doesn't work at all...
Sorry to hear that. I'll be interested to hear diagnosis and resolution. I'm assuming a Bosch Certified Dealer (probably your Trek shop) will get it up and running quickly and should be under warranty (?)...

Dropped it off at the Trek shop... they've never heard of this happening. They will be calling Bosch Monday am and we'll see what happens next. The control unit is just flat out dead. I'll keep everyone posted for future reference. Bike is 9 weeks old so this is waranteed.

IMG_0216.JPG
Boy, yuh got that right... beautiful weather here in upstate NY a the moment, too. I may have to go to the Batcave and pull out the old standby.

I had this same problem. I replaced the button assembly and now it works perfectly again. I attribute mine to rain, it stopped working after I had it on the back of my car during the pouring rain.

jeff

RESOLUTION

So in our last exciting episode, I had dropped the bike off Saturday afternoon at my LBS. They had not seen this one, and said they would call Bosch on Monday and report back.

Sure enough, Monday (yesterday) around 11AM they had the thing fixed. During a call to the Bosch technical people, they removed the controller - a couple turns of an allen screw on the bottom side of the unit - and discovered some unspecified amount of dust/crap/crud on one of the contacts within. Cleaned it off and Shazam! Back in business.

This will probably never happen again, since I don't ride this on dirt much, but it doesn't happen to the mountain bikes either, so this one was a fluke. However, if it ever does, out on the road, a quick sacrifice of a CO2 canister from the tire repair bag would most likely blast it clean again just by shooting air into the edge of the controller without removing it. This stuff gets COLD so just a tiny shot would likely be a Save.

The thing comes apart after removing from the handlebar just by poking the end of the allen wrench into two little holes on the underside of the Plus and Minus buttons. They pop right up and expose the contacts. I'm not convinced I would mess around to that extent unless it was an emergent sort of situation... five miles up the side of a six mile mountain, perhaps.

Another nice quick job by my LBS, Steiner Sports in Glenmont, NY. Great outfit. Waranteed, no charge. They cleaned the chain for me as well and tweaked the shifting while they were at it.

RESOLUTION ... Another nice quick job by my LBS, Steiner Sports in Glenmont, NY. Great outfit. Waranteed, no charge. They cleaned the chain for me as well and tweaked the shifting while they were at it.

Really glad it was fixed and that it wasn't a defect but rather something simple (good news for all of us Bosch riders). Also good callout of the LBS. Well done!

My bike was having the same issue, and dissembling the +/- switch, as S. Dave described above, seems to have helped. I didn't see any dust/crap/crud, but hey, maybe it helped.

Hey Peter, I’m glad it was helpful. For the record, I’ve never had the issue again - after 3000 plus miles - but there are one or two other threads on that problem. When I read back I note I said it was very humid that day, and I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Something just got stuck in a contact. I suspect the compressed air trick will be the answer. I’ve also noted that at least one of these was resolved by just removing and wiping down the Intuvua head, but in my situation the head was responsive, just doesn’t give you a way to control the assist.

I can’t say enough good about the Trek xm700 going into it’s second year. Just a fantastic bike. I may still do the One Up Components 42 tooth cog switch for some of these really steep hills I encounter every now and then, but that’s it. I look at some of those videos Jay Vee posts about the little tiny hills around him and my blood freezes!

Back