Bosch Battery Full?

I have spent a lifetime maintaining, monitoring and working on DC systems on various boats. I can attest that battery percentage is at best an estimate based on the only thing that is truly measurable...battery voltage. Riding a variety of Bosch bikes, including dual battery models, I am undisturbed by slight variations in reported percentage results after charging. I recognize this is, at best an approximation and not a precise, absolute value.

Whether or how well a battery holds its voltage and how fast that voltage dissipates with use/discharge is an indicator of a battery's overall condition and age. A battery's condition over time is largely a function of how it it used and maintained, Use principally has to do with how deeply it is discharged before being recharged. Maintenance is mostly about how well the charging strategy is matched to the battery type and in the case of lead acid batteries, keeping the water levels up in the cells (something clearly not needed in any sealed battery like a Lithium Ion or Aggregated Gas Mat.

Charging strategy is something programmed into a charger that dictates the maximum charging voltage at various phases of the charging cycle. In the case of some chargers that strategy can be user adjusted. This risks a user improperly setting various levels/phases relative to the battery type which can permanently and severely compromise a battery's useful life and functionality. If you don't really know what you are doing, you are better off sticking with the simple, preprogrammed charger that came with your bike rather than risking destruction of your battery in the quest for a few extra miles per ride or a few extra miles per hour.

I find all this discussion about a couple percent quite humorous. We used to look at a mechanical pocket watch and say it was almost time for mid morning snack, or almost noon when I was growing up on the farm. Now there are an infinite number of ways to get the exact digital time to the second. With these precision time pieces, it's still mid morning and almost noon. I ride my eBike for pleasure/health and don't have the slightest interest if the display says 95% or 98% when something implies it should be 100%. It still gets me around 50 miles no matter what it says. Sounds like some of you guys would prefer the display to be calibrated to three decimal places! And you would enthusiastically defend your position to demand those three decimal places as a right to accuracy. Quite amusing!

Batteries are under a load when charging. Remove the load and the voltage can drop a little. Mr Coffee explained it very well. Remember the difference of 4.20 and 4.19 is 1/100 of a volt. Factor in hot or cold temps and a measuring device that has questionable accuracy and you get a less than accurate percentage number that can vary for many reasons.

1562377117514.png

ok, the "problem" was solved after the following update:

drive unit: 1.8.3.0 > 1.8.4.0
battery 1.8.0.0 > 1.9.1.0

The next charge after this update gave me the "100%" for the first time. ;)

Back