Bontrager Lync lighting system on Domane + HP

Region
USA
Hello Everyone!

I'm a new owner of a 2021 Domane + HP this year and have about 300 miles on it so far. I love everything about this bike except for the OEM Bontrager Lync Lighting system. As previously described on other threads, as long as the Kiox computer is on, the lights cannot be turned off. This is very annoying when stopping for a break, etc without shutting off the computer which then thinks I have finished the ride.

Also, the light is a constant beam that cannot be converted to a blinking light, something that I would find useful in daylight solo rides. The light seems to drain at least 5% to 10% of my battery during a 2 -3 hour ride which could be an issue if I wish to do longer rides. In reading through numerous threads here, I did appreciate the Bosch representative discussing the apparent incompatibility between the Bosch Kiox computer and the Trek light switch. The Bosch rep also discussed the possibility of taking the bike back to the Trek LBS to see if the software can be reconfigured to partially fix this, but there was never any confirmation that this could be done.

Has anyone else tried to find a fix for this that doesn't include replacing the entire lighting system? Thanks in advance for your help!

To be able to turn the light on and off from the Kiox button is a simple software setting that your LBS can set. It will default off, and when you turn it on, the "bright" button on the controller also still works as intended. The front light works very well at night, especially if you adjust it up and down to get it the perfect angle which isn't hard to do yourself. I use a USB rechargeable rubber strap on light for a flasher, and that I strap so it sits upside down below the bar for a clean look. The rear light is connected with 2 pins to a cable in the seat tube. I disconnected it, used electrical tape to tape off the connector pin ends on the wire attached to the bike, and carefully wound and pushed down the wires out of the way below the seat post (make sure they don't stick out the frame slot and get cut when adjusting the seat). I just took the light off and put a separate flasher, which lets you then choose how bright and what pattern you want which is more than I would expect from the factory one if it even did have a flash option. No, I am not happy that I had to spend extra money and they couldn't simply make it flash front and rear. It is inconvenient to have to charge another thing. But I think I will spend less total time in my life recharging these than I would to strip out the existing lighting and replace with something else wired into the system.

When you have the setting changed, have them make sure your software is up to date. There are 3. The drive unit, the Kiox computer, and the battery. Double check against what is posted by Bosch as latest. My LBS said they did the update but didn't do all, so I think it might take some attention on their end.

When the dealer enables the Kiox light on/off button, it will use whatever the last setting was when you powered the Kiox off, rather than always off by default or always on by default.

Hello Everyone!

I'm a new owner of a 2021 Domane + HP this year and have about 300 miles on it so far. I love everything about this bike except for the OEM Bontrager Lync Lighting system. As previously described on other threads, as long as the Kiox computer is on, the lights cannot be turned off. This is very annoying when stopping for a break, etc without shutting off the computer which then thinks I have finished the ride.

Also, the light is a constant beam that cannot be converted to a blinking light, something that I would find useful in daylight solo rides. The light seems to drain at least 5% to 10% of my battery during a 2 -3 hour ride which could be an issue if I wish to do longer rides. In reading through numerous threads here, I did appreciate the Bosch representative discussing the apparent incompatibility between the Bosch Kiox computer and the Trek light switch. The Bosch rep also discussed the possibility of taking the bike back to the Trek LBS to see if the software can be reconfigured to partially fix this, but there was never any confirmation that this could be done.

Has anyone else tried to find a fix for this that doesn't include replacing the entire lighting system? Thanks in advance for your help!
Just hit the button opposite the the power button to turn it off when using it!

Just hit the button opposite the the power button to turn it off when using it!
I had to take mine back to the dealer so that they could enable this button. From the factory, it did nothing. Exact same with another one that a friend bought. Also had to ask for walk mode to be enabled, as that was also factory-disabled.

I had to take mine back to the dealer so that they could enable this button. From the factory, it did nothing. Exact same with another one that a friend bought. Also had to ask for walk mode to be enabled, as that was also factory-disabled.
Wait! There is a walk mode??? What???? How did you get it to go in that mode?

Wait! There is a walk mode??? What???? How did you get it to go in that mode?
If you can get your dealer to enable it, you push the button that's sort of wedged between the + and the handlebar to put it in walk mode, then hold down the + to engage the motor. I think it does something like 2-2.5MPH on level ground.

The Walk Mode on my Allant+7 was enabled out of the box. You have to have it powered on, in an Assist Mode, press the Walk button and then quickly and continuously press the + button.

I finally took my Domane+HP into the TREK store today. It only took a few minutes to enable the light switch on the KIOX computer. Now, I can turn the light on and off from the KIOX, and I can use the thumb control on the L side of the handlebar to turn on the high intensity beam if I want to. This sounds like a minor thing, but it was very irritating to stop at the coffee shop and have to leave the bike lights on, or shut down the KIOX to shut the lights off, which meant that the computer thought I ended the ride. Recently, I had a new bike route loaded into the KIOX via my cellphone, shut the KIOX down in order to turn the lights off for my coffee break, but when I turned the KIOX back on it had lost the display of my route. When I tried to reload it, my cellphone said the KIOX needed to update its software but I did not have time to do this as my buddies were getting back on the road! Once home, it turns out the KIOX did not need a software update, the ebike app had crashed. What the heck? I deleted the eBike Connect app on the phone, reinstalled it, and everything worked fine!

Now, if only Bontrager could provide a firmware update so that the LYNC lighting system had a flashing mode.......until then, I will be using a separate flashing headlight mounted to my handlebar.

I have also read on this site that the Bosch motor will shut down when the battery power is at 20% or less to preserve power to the computer/lights. Is there a way that Bosch/my local bike shop can lower this threshold? Thanks!

I finally took my Domane+HP into the TREK store today. It only took a few minutes to enable the light switch on the KIOX computer. Now, I can turn the light on and off from the KIOX, and I can use the thumb control on the L side of the handlebar to turn on the high intensity beam if I want to. This sounds like a minor thing, but it was very irritating to stop at the coffee shop and have to leave the bike lights on, or shut down the KIOX to shut the lights off, which meant that the computer thought I ended the ride. Recently, I had a new bike route loaded into the KIOX via my cellphone, shut the KIOX down in order to turn the lights off for my coffee break, but when I turned the KIOX back on it had lost the display of my route. When I tried to reload it, my cellphone said the KIOX needed to update its software but I did not have time to do this as my buddies were getting back on the road! Once home, it turns out the KIOX did not need a software update, the ebike app had crashed. What the heck? I deleted the eBike Connect app on the phone, reinstalled it, and everything worked fine!

Now, if only Bontrager could provide a firmware update so that the LYNC lighting system had a flashing mode.......until then, I will be using a separate flashing headlight mounted to my handlebar.

I have also read on this site that the Bosch motor will shut down when the battery power is at 20% or less to preserve power to the computer/lights. Is there a way that Bosch/my local bike shop can lower this threshold? Thanks!
I don’t know about the 20% rule or lowering anything.

I think I was reading this thread on the EBF earlier this year when I referred to this issue. I don't know how I got the 20% number... it must have been a Senior Moment! Sorry.

There's a setting for the light that your dealer can possibly adjust. It tells the system how much battery it needs to preserve to keep the light operating for a certain amount of time after if you run out of assist range (I forget what the time amount is...). Lowering the value as much as possible will make the light stay on for only 30 minutes or something after you kill the battery, I've heard.

Back