bodyfloat or other suspension seat post for radmini or rover

vincent

has anyone added a suspension seatpost to their radmini or rover?

my bike shop measured my mariner at 27.2 but the rover at 27.5
think court has both of these listed with a 27.2 seatpost

curious if anyone is using one and what size they have

thanks

my plan was to use the suntour nxc or a bodyfloat
ordering them both, one of the other bikes can use them anyway

biggest concern is if it raises the seat too much for my shorter friends

thanks for the feedback

The XLC is well worth $20; I can only imagine what a high quality one would feel like. This is my first susp. seatpost. Would like to know what you think of the suntour; considering it for another bike. I have the same concern about seat height, but swapping to the old post or even having a spare stock post/seat setup could make it more flexible.

Is there any height difference with the XLC?

I was thinking the same thing, that i would put an extra seat on the stock post just in case

Will definitely post back on how the suntour does, will most likely be mid month when i can haul it north and do some riding with it

thanks for the feedback

I mounted the Suntour SP12-NCX on a 2015 Radrover frame and at the lowest, if I measure from the top of the seat post clamp to the bottom of the seat (not the bracket) at the same angle of the post the distance is 5" and it is very snug getting it the last 1.5" into the frame to the lowest point. The seat post diameter on this NCX is 27.2mm. For $89 on Ebay it came with the neoprene cover and I like the dampening. It is adjusted so it only gives on hard bumps and works well. Considered the Thudbuster ST but heard they were bouncy. The xtra weight of the NCX over the Thud wasn't a concern on the already heavy RR.

you got a better deal than me, i had to order the cover separate

and i paid more for the post, but wanted the 27.2 x 350 and not 400, the 350 is hard to find right now
was on amazon but then out of stock

just measured my bodyfloat and would say 5 inches to the seat is probably about where it sits too
little over 4 if i go to the bottom of the seat bracket
will put the suntour up next to it this week and try to take some pics

would like to see which one sets the seat back the furthest , want that one on the rover to help me with clearance and then will put the other on the mini

also going to mount an extra seat to the stock post in case the 4-5 inch height is too much for friends

wondering if i should get a cheap pogo style one, like the xlc for that.. probably better than nothing at all and think those look like they are not much higher than stock...

maybe someone can chime in on that, how much height gain with the xlc

update- just found the answer on amazon, looks like the xlc lifts the seat about 3 inches..

I added a body float to mine and a softer seat. It helps but I wish there was a bike with rear suspension that was meant for street/trail riding. some streets are pretty bumpy here in MI.

I did two Suntour SP12 NCX on eBay for about $90 each. One was 27.2X350mm and the other was the 27.2X400mm. I ordered two Suntours, one for the wife's and the other for me. Unfortunately, since my wife is 4'11", the extra height of the Suntour made the seat too tall for her. The 27.2X400mm fits me pretty good at 6'3" and 270lbs. The 27.2X350mm also fit; but, I was already at the max height limit and the max height mark has worn off. I can adjust the suntour for a comfortable 13 mile roundtrip commute on paved main/side roads. Without the suntour, I would be commuting off my seat 20-30% of the time over bumps instead of 1-5% with the suntour.

One Suntour came with the neoprene cover and other did not. I ordered the Thudbuster neoprene cover and that worked perfectly.

Last edited:

thanks for the feedback
Hi Vincent, how did you find the suntour nxc and the bodyfloat? Any preference to one or the other?

the bodyfloat is definitely better, you get what you pay for
but the suntour is fine too

either one is going to help and make the ride better

the bodyfloat is definitely better, you get what you pay for
but the suntour is fine too

either one is going to help and make the ride better
Thanks Vincent; and that's the rub - the bodyfloat is 4 times more expensive over here in the UK than the Suntour (it's not sold here, nearest place is Holland)...and that's the aluminium version, let alone the carbon or ti version.

I would have zero qualms getting the suntour seat post, it's worth what you pay for it

had a hard time finding the suntour in the United States, most of the places I pulled up were in Europe

And it was really hard to find a cover for it, in fact think I could not find that in the United States at all and ended up getting a thudBuster cover

I would get one , it definitely helps the ride

You can also buy custom springs for the SunTour NCX for around $15 US depending on your weight or how soft you like your ride. This is a nice option to have.

I changed my NCX spring for one rated for under 65 KG because I like a softer ride and I am not heavy.

Back