BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Some more rides with the bike (I wish the weather in Germany was better)...
+Geometry - I feel nice compromise between quite comfortable and sporty, size L works good for me (1,87cm)
+motor-I like it. smooth transition if you go over 25km/h. One issue is sound/noise. I wish it was more quiet
+overall - it motivates me to go faster than 25; I feel its a great compromise between a "muscle-bike" and a heavier pedelec, acceleration due to low mass, the geometry results in nice and agile handling. Having fun so far.
The tires on road are a little loud sometimes, but then I had some occasions offroad where I like the grip and comfort.

BMC has upped the ante with the release of Alpenchallenge City Two.

It's got to b the lightest E-bike with Gates drive, IGH, fenders and rack at 39.9lbs.
I am sure it is very pricey though. They bring in their years of expertise making carbon and Al frame racing bikes.

bmc_product_page_product_images_alpenchallenge_amp_city_two_my20.png

Hmmm ... Nexus 5 speed ... I would have preferred an Alfine 8. But beautiful bike nonetheless.

Somewhere in the $3 to $4K range? Doesn't seem that expensive.
1586048082986.png

They bring in their years of expertise making carbon and Al frame racing bikes.

Indeed, the have expierence.

But this bike

1586080125524.png

is a fully rigid alu construct. In this case, 3.5 kCHF is overpriced for this "harter Bock".

Note: In the advertising, you see the seamless frame. This is because the 3D printing did not provide welding seams.

BMC_Product_Page_The_Story_Image_2_Alpenchallenge_AMP_City.jpg

You mean to say, just like Stromer ST3, which is a much heavier harter bock :) for 7500 Euros and 50 Euro aluminum fork?
;)

Exactly; while the ST2 / ST2s had the flexible carbon fork, they hand over to the cheaper alu fork.

But as you mentioned, BMC has carbon-in house competence; I did some artwork on my pictures, but you may still recognize this machine: It's were the Impec was made.

weberknecht.jpg

secret_production.JPG

Hi,

I'm brand new to this forum so I hope I won't be annoying : sorry for any inconvenience !

I'm a french cyclist living in the Paris suburbs, and I'm considering buying my first ebike, the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City Two, for commuting and getting rid of public transport.

This bike because I fell in love a few years ago with internal gear hubs and I want a bike as light and fast as possible in the 3000-3500 € price tag.

I'm wondering whether it's possible putting child seats in front and rear of the bike (not both at the same time but following my son's and daughter's growth).
For front seating, I'm considering an adapter to hang the seat around the aheadset.

For rear, there doesn't seem to be enough space on the saddle tube due to the battery position. So the only option left I see is putting it on the rack, but I can't find any information about its load capacity. It looks like a Tubus Fly Evo (ok until 20 kgs only so not enough).

Am I right ? If so, is it easy replacing the rack and what should I be aware of ? Or is there any way I'm not seeing ?

Thanks a lot and I'll sure be posting pics with either of my children 🙂

Yach

I love my alpenchallenge amp cross and I regulary use my rack with one bag. I also use it offroad (not heavy "stuff"). However I am not sure if I wanted to load the frame/rack/stem with kids. I would really recommend to contact BMC if they think the frame/stem/rack mounting is made for such load.
Also if you have a kid in front of you , eventually a more upright seating position for the rider make make sense.

I'm wondering whether it's possible putting child seats in front and rear of the bike (not both at the same time but following my son's and daughter's growth).
For front seating, I'm considering an adapter to hang the seat around the aheadset.

The stock option is built for carrying small cargo (laptop,books, small grocery etc) and not 35-40lbs kids.
You will have to check the weight limits on the rear rack and if needed, swap it out for a more sturdy one like Racktime or Tubus.
A bike shop would be able to help you with the adapters needed for a childseat.

BMC Alpenchallenge Two would work well in Paris and it is within your budget limits.

However I am not sure if I wanted to load the frame/rack/stem with kids. I would really recommend to contact BMC if they think the frame/stem/rack mounting is made for such load.
Also if you have a kid in front of you , eventually a more upright seating position for the rider make make sense.

Thank you for your feedback and opinion, interesting. I'm having difficulties finding other ebikes with an internal gear hub and a diamond frame not too heavy and not too pricey, that's why I was considering this bike. Your advice about having difficulties riding that low with a front child is interesting. Well, I might have to find another bike, even if I won't be riding with my children too often.

I asked BMC about it 3 weeks ago but they still didn't reply.

Thank you for your feedback and opinion, interesting. I'm having difficulties finding other ebikes with an internal gear hub and a diamond frame not too heavy and not too pricey, that's why I was considering this bike. Your advice about having difficulties riding that low with a front child is interesting. Well, I might have to find another bike, even if I won't be riding with my children too often.

I asked BMC about it 3 weeks ago but they still didn't reply.
I didnt want to suggest that it doesnt work. and if you dont transports the kids all the time the seating positionshouldnt be an issue. Have you considered a trailer for the kids?

I didnt want to suggest that it doesnt work. and if you dont transports the kids all the time the seating positionshouldnt be an issue. Have you considered a trailer for the kids?

Sorry for my misunderstanding and thanks for taking the time answering me. I may use a trailer for weekends yes, but unfortunately this isn't really handy if I have to leave one kid at school then go on with my commuting.

I'm probably looking for something too versatile and no bike could fit all situations...

I think either BMC or a good BMC-seller should know which weighty the frame/stem/rack-holders can take.
I hope you get an answer soon.

I'm having difficulties finding other ebikes with an internal gear hub and a diamond frame not too heavy and not too pricey
Did you look at the Moustache Samedi 28.3 which has the Shimano Nexus 5 speed?

Thanks for your answers !

Did you look at the Moustache Samedi 28.3 which has the Shimano Nexus 5 speed?

Well, nice choice, it's a french brand ;) I did look at it, but didn't select it because it is really heavier (26 kgs, almost 50% more than the BMC). Plus the BMC's transmission seems sturdier (carbon gates and no chain tensioner).

Another bike I once looked at: https://www.r-m.de/de/modelle/roadster/roadster-city/#F00250_040218
Riese and Müller, Roadster. The city version also comes with a internal gear hub
It is not as light as the Alpenchallenge though

Yes, this one is really a great contender. Not as light but definitely not one of the heaviest. But it's much harder finding it on online retailers, and a tad pricier (I found the BMC at around 2800 € with a special offer) .

I found another solution for the rear child seat (apart from replacing the rack) : a child seat that hangs on both seatstays (hope this is the right translation) and the seat post. Any contraindication (apart from the fact it's not available on Amazon) ?

Hey guys new guy here. Thanks for all the info in this thread.
I know it's a long shot but is there anyone here looking to sell their BMC Amp Cross LTD?
Alternatively, does anyone know a UK or European shop that has stock of this ebike?
Thanks amigos.

Back