BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Hello everyone here, Ive just found this Forum, is interesting to find to Marcellanz here, he helped me a lot when I was about to buy my BMC Amp. Anyway, In order to return a little bit the help I received as well, I decided to create my account on this page to help other people if they have any question...
Replying a little bit to SkaTri, ( not with the first one because honestly I dont know).

Regarding the rack, at first I thought this was not possible, since in many reviews they mentioned the lack of eyelets for a rack, or the possible consequences of installing a rack on a Carbon fibre frame,,,but there's an interesting picture on instagram posted by BMC itself ( https://www.instagram.com/explore/tags/bmcalpenchallengeampcity/) there you can see they have added a trolley and a rack, for the trolley it was easy to guess, I do believe they used the Robert Axle project thru axles in order to add the little cart ( https://robertaxleproject.com), but I was wondering if they used the same for the rack, then I contacted BMC and they said it was possible in the eyelets used for the mudguards/fenders (find picture attached of my bike), I have the city LTD version, and it comes with the fenders and the eyelets for it.

I am 1.75 and I went for the M version.

Attachments

• YibhR9PQT2G5a8uSnXA3iQ.jpg
    YibhR9PQT2G5a8uSnXA3iQ.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • u4SBL7lZTRi2G9Zy+6B%UA.jpg
    u4SBL7lZTRi2G9Zy+6B%UA.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
But as far as I am aware ( please Marcell help me here) the hole for you to screw the eyelet should be present in all the versions. (Sport, Cross and city) and thats how u are able to attach the fenders in the other two versions that comes without it. If i am correct all you need is this ( picture 1) i have attached as well a second picture of my bike. You can see it consist of two pieces. One the metallic eyelet and the other is the plastic thingy to keep the fender in place. (Sorry for my english)

Attachments

• A174F4EA-5FBC-4961-9194-A8047411EAB2.jpeg
    A174F4EA-5FBC-4961-9194-A8047411EAB2.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 11
  • C48A7745-751A-440E-8EFD-29B9AF501A05.jpeg
    C48A7745-751A-440E-8EFD-29B9AF501A05.jpeg
    639.4 KB · Views: 11
But as far as I am aware ( please Marcell help me here) the hole for you to screw the eyelet should be present in all the versions. (Sport, Cross and city) and thats how u are able to attach the fenders in the other two versions that comes without it. If i am correct all you need is this ( picture 1) i have attached as well a second picture of my bike. You can see it consist of two pieces. One the metallic eyelet and the other is the plastic thingy to keep the fender in place. (Sorry for my english)

Hi there... my Cross has them to, IMO Gerardomis right. See my three pics (just taken from my currently dirty bike). Theese are the points you can attach something to the carbon frame

Attachments

• F7494F2E-E5DC-40F4-AB3D-0F109544E57B.jpeg
    F7494F2E-E5DC-40F4-AB3D-0F109544E57B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 79018D04-0ED4-470A-99EF-36D4AB768E18.jpeg
    79018D04-0ED4-470A-99EF-36D4AB768E18.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
  • FDAFC696-CC25-4265-BA67-27BD9F2155D9.jpeg
    FDAFC696-CC25-4265-BA67-27BD9F2155D9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Gracias Gerardo und Merci viel Mal Marcel

So Point 2 is definitely Solved. Just have to check with the LBS when I will order what we can find as a nice Rack easy to mount and unmount maybe to see...

The picture of BMC has the tubus fly rack ( and somebody mentioned in this forum that bmc responded recommending that one) i attach a picture of my girlfriend bike (pic 1) who has that one (i installed for her). It has a single front tube to attach to the bike and thats the most obvious reassons i see why BMC recomends this one. Most of the other racks has two attachments which means it needs two eyelets (which this bike doesnt have)

I have purchased ( and still waiting for it) the herkelmann wingee ( picture two) for this obviously i will need to replace my entire fenders...but as Marcel might know, i enjoy just doing crazy projects and plans. Hahahahha

Gracias Gerardo und Merci viel Mal Marcel

So Point 2 is definitely Solved. Just have to check with the LBS when I will order what we can find as a nice Rack easy to mount and unmount maybe to see...

Attachments

• CCD6B826-AD4A-4C53-AF52-D3D117BD1FA2.jpeg
    CCD6B826-AD4A-4C53-AF52-D3D117BD1FA2.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 21
  • 86496620-E35F-44E1-BF71-F69B53FD8356.jpeg
    86496620-E35F-44E1-BF71-F69B53FD8356.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 20
The Tubus fly rack is nice looking and would do the job in simplicity.
The herkelman is awesome. Please post the mounting!!!!
Nevertheless with the Gravel Tires and roads, I doubt it is an option for me....

Hi Marcellanz

I am so glad to find the thread you initiated.

I am so fan of BMC as I and this bike will be my first ebike...

I am looking to go for the Cross Version but I do still have some hesitation based on those points:

1) Difference between E6100 and E8000 in terms of Autonomy (because the Torque difference is clear). Do you know if it would really augment the distance as my plan in addition to commuting is to go up to 90 kms hilly roads in the Zurich and Rhein Area...

2) Support for a Rack for the side Panniers as there is no hole in the frame...( I am waiting info from BMC asked through the Kontakt form)

3) I hesitate between the M and L ( I am 183 cm tall, 90 cm Legs, 66cm arms and upper body 65cm). My LBS don't have all size...

Once I get a better decision criteria between M and L and Motor, the Cross One or LTD will enter my Stable....

Thanks a lot for your insights...

SkaTri

Regarding the Size; I had do choose M as I have a bit too short legs relative to my Height (180cm).. my Torso size would have indicated L, but then I could not stand over the bike with the "oberrohr" not touching my ....

Regarding Range: shimano has two battery sizes, 420kWh or so and 504... I think the range of the 6100 would be the same with the bigger battery like the 8000 at least in trial mode or eco... but I don't know.

I do 2x48km on my commute moslty in unmodified trial (you can chane the settings with the shimano app)... depending on weather (temperature) and wind, I'm down to 60% or 40% for one way of 48km (with 350m uphill).

As I've written previously; the lower % of the battery are not as "powerfull" as the upper. I don't think you can make +90km in hilly landscapes; but I'm also a bit heavier, whi knows.

PS: I'd recommend to try one, if the size doesn't fit, it would be a pitty

Last edited:
Regarding the Size; I had do choose M as I have a bit too short legs relative to my Height (180cm).. my Torso size would have indicated L, but then I could not stand over the bike with the "oberrohr" not touching my ....

Regarding Range: shimano has two battery sizes, 420kWh or so and 504... I think the range of the 6100 would be the same with the bigger battery like the 8000 at least in trial mode or eco... but I don't know.

I do 2x48km on my commute moslty in unmodified trial (you can chane the settings with the shimano app)... depending on weather (temperature) and wind, I'm down to 60% or 40% for this distance (with 350m uphill).

As I've written previously; the lower % of the battery are not as "powerfull" as the upper. I don't think you can make +90km in hilly landscapes; but I'm also a bit heavier, whi knows.

PS: I'd recommend to try one, if the size doesn't fit, it would be a pitty

Thanks a lot Marcel, really appreciate your feedback

Yes It is hard to see if there is a big Difference in the Battery life between the 2 E6100 and E8000 Normally the E6100 having less Torque should have more autonomy with the 504 Battery...
But I also prefer the blue and the Di2 XT as Standards ....

I will try to find other BMS Store in Zurich to sit on both...

Thanks a lot Marcel, really appreciate your feedback

Yes It is hard to see if there is a big Difference in the Battery life between the 2 E6100 and E8000 Normally the E6100 having less Torque should have more autonomy with the 504 Battery...
But I also prefer the blue and the Di2 XT as Standards ....

I will try to find other BMS Store in Zurich to sit on both...
I like the blue a lot. It looks better/different in the sun... it also is a bit like a stealth bike...

but just found this newish video of the white model, also looks really nice. Di2 is awesome too :)

I've been looking at these and I love the weight and feel of riding one, but feel like One version is under-powered and Limited version too expensive and very limited to 20mph. I hate that it starts bogging down at 20mph. I am also worried about very limited market penetration by Shimano motors. Like Brose I am thinking they might not survive. Bosch is beating them on quality and adoption rate so it seems like a very safe choice to go with bike that has Bosch motor. I wish BMC made these with Bosch motor and with 28mph limit. It would THE bike to get.

Anyone else feels like this, what is your thought process?

I've been looking at these and I love the weight and feel of riding one, but feel like One version is under-powered and Limited version too expensive and very limited to 20mph. I hate that it starts bogging down at 20mph. I am also worried about very limited market penetration by Shimano motors. Like Brose I am thinking they might not survive. Bosch is beating them on quality and adoption rate so it seems like a very safe choice to go with bike that has Bosch motor. I wish BMC made these with Bosch motor and with 28mph limit. It would THE bike to get.

HI taekwondo,

I have this bike and have used it as my commuter bike for the last few months and its brilliant.

I really cannot fault the bike build quality, lightweight, weight distribution are fantastic.

You do know you can upgrade the motor/speed and there are a few videos online showing how to do this.

Personally, its fast enough for me and I do find I can push past the limit when I want to.

Difficult to think of another ebike with such great balance between performance and quality.

I have two other normal bikes but my stable is complete with my Cross.

Blue

P.s. a huge thanks to Marcellanz for creating this thread, it helped me identify and discover this great bike

???

Attachments

• 20190510_212737.jpg
    20190510_212737.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
I have no facts to give about the topic. So my opinion is just based on what i think.

This BMC is my first electric bike. So its just recently when i sharted to get informed about the topic. I do understand your opinion about Brose, but Shimano is a powerful company and I dont think they will give up anytime soon.

Now Bosch is an european company, German I belive. Where 1 of every 3 new bikes sold are electric. In Holland 5 of every 10. So i find obvious that Bosch had the advantage when the market in this countries started to look for an electric alternative.

In London only 1 of every 10 new bikes are electric. So, if you ask me ( i live in London) here neither shimano or bosch has strong presence. And theres a huge market and oportunity.

Shimano, japanese company has decided to get into the market where bosch has the advantage already by being from a country (and area) where the popularity of electric bikes arrived first. In Japan ( i have been there several times) electric bikes are just starting to become popular. In the USA few years ago they were unknown, even today is symbolic their Presence.
But in several reviews both Shimano and Bosch are just there fighting with similar results. And i do belive Shimano in all those countries have a lot of potential to penetrate more than Bosch.

I have no facts to give about the topic. So my opinion is just based on what i think.

This BMC is my first electric bike. So its just recently when i sharted to get informed about the topic. I do understand your opinion about Brose, but Shimano is a powerful company and I dont think they will give up anytime soon.

Now Bosch is an european company, German I belive. Where 1 of every 3 new bikes sold are electric. In Holland 5 of every 10. So i find obvious that Bosch had the advantage when the market in this countries started to look for an electric alternative.

In London only 1 of every 10 new bikes are electric. So, if you ask me ( i live in London) here neither shimano or bosch has strong presence. And theres a huge market and oportunity.

Shimano, japanese company has decided to get into the market where bosch has the advantage already by being from a country (and area) where the popularity of electric bikes arrived first. In Japan ( i have been there several times) electric bikes are just starting to become popular. In the USA few years ago they were unknown, even today is symbolic their Presence.
But in several reviews both Shimano and Bosch are just there fighting with similar results. And i do belive Shimano in all those countries have a lot of potential to penetrate more than Bosch.

Think you can buy a software upgrade as well but the furious hardware upgrade also does the job.....

Good luck

Blue

Regarding the Market Penetration between Shimano and Bosch, I am just looking to German and Swiss Manufacturer over the past years, they are moving from Bosch to Shimano. (Scott being an example )
I believe it is a sign... Also from Friends using their Mountainbike, coming from Bosch they appreciate much more the Shimano...
Yes Bosch Started, but Shimano are a bike gear company... and their updates and way of doing them via smartphone or personnal laptop seems much pinpointing than the Bosh One...

This might be the wrong bike for you. There are very good 28mph bosch based "bikes" out there... or try one of the stromer ones; they are high quality too.

Last edited:
Hi Marcellanz

I am so glad to find the thread you initiated.

I am so fan of BMC as I and this bike will be my first ebike...

I am looking to go for the Cross Version but I do still have some hesitation based on those points:

1) Difference between E6100 and E8000 in terms of Autonomy (because the Torque difference is clear). Do you know if it would really augment the distance as my plan in addition to commuting is to go up to 90 kms hilly roads in the Zurich and Rhein Area...

2) Support for a Rack for the side Panniers as there is no hole in the frame...( I am waiting info from BMC asked through the Kontakt form)

3) I hesitate between the M and L ( I am 183 cm tall, 90 cm Legs, 66cm arms and upper body 65cm). My LBS don't have all size...

Once I get a better decision criteria between M and L and Motor, the Cross One or LTD will enter my Stable....

Thanks a lot for your insights...

SkaTri

So I got the answer from BMC

On the Engine:
E6100:
  • Boost: 93 km
  • Trail: 130 km
  • Eco: 185 km
E8000:
  • Boost : 50 km (400 m altitude)
  • Trail : 75 km (600 m altitude)
  • Eco : 100 km (800 m altitude)

But I found other website where it was higher...

For The Rack : Tubus Fly evo and Fixation Kit: Tubus Alu Roundstay rear carrier to be bend to adjust mount...

I tried the M and I was good on it... there is no L in the area... I found the E8000 Engine really powerfull, 1rst Ebike Try....

If you have an accident with such a modification any insurance company (at least here in switzerland) would recess you and you will have a hard time to get them pay your costs. Having a family at home and seeing some crazy behaviour on the street of others (cars, other bikes) I'm out of such modifications... if something happens your'e at your own; but we all know that already, right?

Yes, I knew the problems I can face, But still i decided to do it. My commute from home to work is all through tracks exclusively for bikes, the fact that I have the software to remove the limit, doesnt means im going faster than the rest, the fact i remove the speed limit is not to become an speed demon, its to have a more comfortable ride for what I need: to arrive to work on time without sweating like pig.
Ive found the 25km/h not enough, 30km/h ( like in some countries is actually already happening) would be better. When I cycle, in fact, I find nobody here goes under 25km/h.
The difference now, is that I can properly keep an steady speed of 30km/h or so without sweating. I arrive always on time to work, ready to work without having to take a shower before... the days that im interested in have a proper excersise I put back the speed limit from the app in my iPhone. ( the software comes with a smarthphone app to control everything from your phone).
I know its about perceptions, but I do seen on daily basis people with “regular” bikes behaving like crazy on the streets.

Back