BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Thanks Bob, As soon as I get my hands on it I will post some pictures with a full report to help others. It looks like it will be very early January before its available but i have several other bikes to keep me going in the meantime and like i said this one should keep me moving through the cold winter mornings and make my journey to work a bit more enjoyable.

Thanks Bob, As soon as I get my hands on it I will post some pictures with a full report to help others. It looks like it will be very early January before its available but i have several other bikes to keep me going in the meantime and like i said this one should keep me moving through the cold winter mornings and make my journey to work a bit more enjoyable.

Blue- Great, look forward to your documented experience. I am so use to riding 45-50+lb E-bikes. This bike coming in at approx 35 lbs has to be an entirely new riding experience with the Shimano E-8000. Without all of the extra weight, this bike looks like it could get you up and going in a flash. That is what is so intriguing about this setup. Would be interesting if any of the owners could do a side by side comparison.

Back in the day, we did this with the all Aluminum MTBs versus Chromoly Steel framed bikes and you could see the difference in the ride quality immediately. Enjoy!

Hi guys,
I am interested in this beautiful bike. Any more long term experience you might want to share?
How stable is the frame? How is the sitting position - is it very sporty (like a race bike) or more like a gravel bike with a little more comfortable position for longer rides?
How happy are you overall?

20mph would be nice.
Regarding the suspension called MTT (Micro Travel Technology)
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/innovation/mtt-micro-travel-technology/

its about 10mm of travel you get. I can't compare it to traditional rear suspension as I never rode one. It feels defined and non disturbing as I like to have not too much get bumping around with a bike.

here is a video (not mine) where you can see MTT in action:

there also 3 different Types of these polymer dampers, Soft, Middle and Hard you can choose from.
If you look the movie between 28 and 38 Sec. it looks like the damper reacts a lot on the pedaling frequency, I wonder if one looses power through this.

Hi guys,
I am interested in this beautiful bike. Any more long term experience you might want to share?
How stable is the frame? How is the sitting position - is it very sporty (like a race bike) or more like a gravel bike with a little more comfortable position for longer rides?
How happy are you overall?

Hi

I have it now 3 Months and did ~3700km with it.. commuting every day.

Frame: Its Premium Carbon Frame vom BMC with the Quality you would expect from BMC
Sitting Position: Sporty but comfortable, you can ride hours with it (I do 4h every day)
How happy are you overall: very. I would recommend it instantly. But try it out so you get an impression how it is. BMC is doing Public Days twice a year. A really nice event where you, after registered, can ride a wide range of bikes of them.

attached, a picture of this morning during my commute break and having some warm tea.

(after 1st service, I changed tires, this is the "Top CONTACT Winter II Premium". A very nice tire rolling smooth, silent and secure in cold weather)

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 15.13.36.png

what avarage speed do you guys go with this bike.
I am undecided - in one way I think when one has a motor the weight of the bike is not that important and one can choose the bike more based on comfort factors (thick tires, Hub shifting ...) and must not spend that amount of money.
But then with a heavy bike my experience is to allways go to the point where the motor switchs off but not faster (besides downhill or wind from behind). Is it different with such a light electric bike?
Do you often go faster than 25-27 kmh? And if so , when do you need the motor?
Thoughts?

what avarage speed do you guys go with this bike.
I am undecided - in one way I think when one has a motor the weight of the bike is not that important and one can choose the bike more based on comfort factors (thick tires, Hub shifting ...) and must not spend that amount of money.
But then with a heavy bike my experience is to allways go to the point where the motor switchs off but not faster (besides downhill or wind from behind). Is it different with such a light electric bike?
Do you often go faster than 25-27 kmh? And if so , when do you need the motor?
Thoughts?

If you like to have a CrossCounty Bike, perhaps its better to get one of those (BMC Roadmachine is awesome) or perhaps you're looking for a 45km/h e-Bike, or Vehicle.

This AMP Bike (all three of them) are around 15kg. I rode a Trekking e-Bike (~32kg) for a few weeks before I got this one and the AMP is nothing compared to such a heavy one. Going over 25km/h with a traditional (and heavy) eBike is like riding in honey and you won't do it. With the AMP its different, you can easy go over 25km/h, its not the same as a Roadbike but a lot easier than with all eBike I rode before.

So he 15kg are a big factor, also the position of the battery, with it centered, the bike is much more agile. Regarding Speed distribution, I've attached below two diagrams from my Bike-Computer, the first is with the heavy eBike and the second with the AMP. The Scale is not excactly at the same position, but you see that the AMP encourages higher speeds.... I go 2h one way everyday with some 400m height difference, so I'm not that often over 27-28km or so; the Motor is there for something.

There is something else I discovered, the Shimano (and I think Bosch has a similar mode with the CX model) you get Amplified in the pedalling you do. The heavier trekking Bike below was more like "surfing" on the 24-25km/h limit. Its different with the AMP where you get supported what you put in by yourself.

But as I said, vor a 6k $ Bike, its perhaps better to try one, and it might be not for you. I was looking for a sporty eBike where I have to get some workout aspect and the AMP Cross is the perfect bike for that; I haven't seen any bike like this ;-) .... look, I do 96km every day, I could never do that with a traditional Bike

"Heavy" Trekking eBike (Bosch Motor)

Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 21.22.05.png

BMC AMP Cross, Shimano
Screenshot 2018-12-05 at 21.22.39.png

Last edited:
If you like to have a CrossCounty Bike, perhaps its better to get one of those (BMC Roadmachine is awesome) or perhaps you're looking for a 45km/h e-Bike, or Vehicle.

This AMP Bike (all three of them) are around 15kg. I rode a Trekking e-Bike (~32kg) for a few weeks before I got this one and the AMP is nothing compared to such a heavy one. Going over 25km/h with a traditional (and heavy) eBike is like riding in honey and you won't do it. With the AMP its different, you can easy go over 25km/h, its not the same as a Roadbike but a lot easier than with all eBike I rode before.

So he 15kg are a big factor, also the position of the battery, with it centered, the bike is much more agile. Regarding Speed distribution, I've attached below two diagrams from my Bike-Computer, the first is with the heavy eBike and the second with the AMP. The Scale is not excactly at the same position, but you see that the AMP encourages higher speeds.... I go 2h one way everyday with some 400m height difference, so I'm not that often over 27-28km or so; the Motor is there for something.

There is something else I discovered, the Shimano (and I think Bosch has a similar mode with the CX model) you get Amplified in the pedalling you do. The heavier trekking Bike below was more like "surfing" on the 24-25km/h limit. Its different with the AMP where you get supported what you put in by yourself.

But as I said, vor a 6k $ Bike, its perhaps better to try one, and it might be not for you. I was looking for a sporty eBike where I have to get some workout aspect and the AMP Cross is the perfect bike for that; I haven't seen any bike like this ;-) .... look, I do 96km every day, I could never do that with a traditional Bike

"Heavy" Trekking eBike (Bosch Motor)

View attachment 27875

BMC AMP Cross, Shimano
View attachment 27876
This is interesting and what you write about "being encouraged to ride faster than 25" is one of the reasons I am still so interested in the BMC.
Your statistics on the other side do show a shift of 1 kph to the right side with the BMC, also with the B;C you seem to ride mainly in the range where one gets support from the motor. I testrode a BMC for a short trip, it felt very responsive and nice acceleration.

Hi Marcellanz,

Hope all is well with you and your still putting the miles on the AMP-Cross........

I have just ordered my new bike from Evans as they have the uk distribution deal, I have gone for the Cross which is exactly the same as your bike in the Medium as im 5ft 10 and have 31 inside leg so i think this will suit me best.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-alpenchallenge-amp-cross-ltd-2019-electric-hybrid-bike-EV338346

The bike is expected early March which should be good as the terrible weather in the uk will be gone by then.

I will post some pictures up and some thoughts as i get to grips with using it on a daily basis.

I am thinking about putting some more road style tires on the bike as the commute is more roads and pathways than off road but i note you kept the original tires on yours........ are you happy with them and do you run tubeless with the puncture resin in or do you have tubes?

I also note you run around 50psi in the tires or have you changed this?

No long now Marcellanz and will be able to add some content and experienced feedback to your thread.

All the best

Blue

P.S. The picture below is my old commuter bike which is a Cube Agree C62 frame 56cm - Dura Ace 9000 group set C24 Wheelset - tubeless puncture proof tires, this bike is super light and very fast and has been upgraded in every way....Its a brilliant bike but with 25mm tires you feel every bump so rather than replace the frame i thought lets give the AMP Cross a try!

Attachments

• Cube commuter.JPG
    Cube commuter.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 690
Last edited:
Hi,

A little review on the BMC AlpenChallenge AMP Cross LTD.

I think that pretty much everything about the bike itself has been covered already, so I will focus mostly on my own experience.

Maybe the most interesting bit is actually myself (sorry!): I’m 38 and last time I got on a bicycle was 20 years ago (last time I did any kind of sport also).
After recently moving closer to work, I decided to commute by bike.

This is exclusively in order to get in better shape and to reduce my carbon footprint, as using the car is significantly faster in almost all conditions in my case.
It’s a bit crazy that without any prior cycling experience I spent 5K€ just to cycle to work (on a model I’ve never seen).

My commute is 11Km with 100m overall climb, you don’t really need an electric bike for that.
I’m not a fit guy at all but even I could do it, I would just be going slower.

I researched extensively as I wanted an electric bike that would be pleasant to pedal on without assistance. This is the key deciding factor, as want to be able to exercise ‘for real’ in a nice manner. And not pedal in Honey as Marcellanz very well explained.
And this is exactly what you get with this bike, much to my surprise I use it without assistance more than 50% of the time, basically cruising at 30kmh on the flat. I use the motor for hill climb and also sometime to help with fast start in crowded roundabout (we have many in France) or red light.

I completely agree that this bike kind of “pushes” you to ride harder, I’m completely noob to bicycle but I can just feel it. Not sure if it is the seat position or nervous frame or battery position, but I’ve noticed that when I’m tired I just increase the assistance instead of pedalling slower.

The assistance cutoff is extremely smooth, you don’t really feel it (you hear the motor whining fade).

Just a word about the bike itself, it is beautiful I think, everything being so well integrated.
My only gripe is the lack of Bluetooth integration between the Shimano E8000 and the Garmin watch I have, I had to purchase a cadence sensor when the information is already available in the Shimano system.

Conclusion : if you are a beginner, want to exercise, but are worried about your ability to cycle without assistance : Buy this bike.
Well, you could also buy it and leave it in “Boost” mode all the time, but it would be missing the point I think.

A picture of the bike in my office, after morning commute :

IMG_1982.jpg

Hi Marcellanz,

Hope all is well with you and your still putting the miles on the AMP-Cross........

I have just ordered my new bike from Evans as they have the uk distribution deal, I have gone for the Cross which is exactly the same as your bike in the Medium as im 5ft 10 and have 31 inside leg so i think this will suit me best.

https://www.evanscycles.com/bmc-alpenchallenge-amp-cross-ltd-2019-electric-hybrid-bike-EV338346

The bike is expected early March which should be good as the terrible weather in the uk will be gone by then.

I will post some pictures up and some thoughts as i get to grips with using it on a daily basis.

I am thinking about putting some more road style tires on the bike as the commute is more roads and pathways than off road but i note you kept the original tires on yours........ are you happy with them and do you run tubeless with the puncture resin in or do you have tubes?

I also note you run around 50psi in the tires or have you changed this?

No long now Marcellanz and will be able to add some content and experienced feedback to your thread.

All the best

Blue

P.S. The picture below is my old commuter bike which is a Cube Agree C62 frame 56cm - Dura Ace 9000 group set C24 Wheelset - tubeless puncture proof tires, this bike is super light and very fast and has been upgraded in every way....Its a brilliant bike but with 25mm tires you feel every bump so rather than replace the frame i thought lets give the AMP Cross a try!

@bitterblue that is great to hear!, March will be the perfect time to start with this bike. I still use my bike every day to commute, although I had some days off over xmas and also used the train for some very windy and cold (<-5°C) days where its just too much to handle to ride my distance I usually do.

regarding tires, I actually changed mid November to Continental "Top Contact Winter II Premium" and I'm very happy with them. They are comfortable to ride (the rubber is very nice) and I like the smaller size. They're also quiet in comparison to the WTB Nano. I think I will go on with the size (32mm) during spring and summer; lets see how long they last. On pressure, I run them both at the maximum pressure they're allowed to; The Conti then still feel comfortable, I assume this is of their rubber they use. U can feel that Continental has lot of know how, how to build tires here.

So I'm looking forward to your pictures and impression of yours.

Hi,

A little review on the BMC AlpenChallenge AMP Cross LTD.

I think that pretty much everything about the bike itself has been covered already, so I will focus mostly on my own experience.

Maybe the most interesting bit is actually myself (sorry!): I’m 38 and last time I got on a bicycle was 20 years ago (last time I did any kind of sport also).
After recently moving closer to work, I decided to commute by bike.

This is exclusively in order to get in better shape and to reduce my carbon footprint, as using the car is significantly faster in almost all conditions in my case.
It’s a bit crazy that without any prior cycling experience I spent 5K€ just to cycle to work (on a model I’ve never seen).

My commute is 11Km with 100m overall climb, you don’t really need an electric bike for that.
I’m not a fit guy at all but even I could do it, I would just be going slower.

I researched extensively as I wanted an electric bike that would be pleasant to pedal on without assistance. This is the key deciding factor, as want to be able to exercise ‘for real’ in a nice manner. And not pedal in Honey as Marcellanz very well explained.
And this is exactly what you get with this bike, much to my surprise I use it without assistance more than 50% of the time, basically cruising at 30kmh on the flat. I use the motor for hill climb and also sometime to help with fast start in crowded roundabout (we have many in France) or red light.

I completely agree that this bike kind of “pushes” you to ride harder, I’m completely noob to bicycle but I can just feel it. Not sure if it is the seat position or nervous frame or battery position, but I’ve noticed that when I’m tired I just increase the assistance instead of pedalling slower.

The assistance cutoff is extremely smooth, you don’t really feel it (you hear the motor whining fade).

Just a word about the bike itself, it is beautiful I think, everything being so well integrated.
My only gripe is the lack of Bluetooth integration between the Shimano E8000 and the Garmin watch I have, I had to purchase a cadence sensor when the information is already available in the Shimano system.

Conclusion : if you are a beginner, want to exercise, but are worried about your ability to cycle without assistance : Buy this bike.
Well, you could also buy it and leave it in “Boost” mode all the time, but it would be missing the point I think.

A picture of the bike in my office, after morning commute :

View attachment 29869

@octanou what a great and lovely story :-D I'm happy to hear you like your bike and that my input about the bike was helpful. I still like my one very much; its just the perfect bike for my use case, which is similar to yours. I wish you many more kilometers with your bike. Safe ride!

@bitterblue that is great to hear!, March will be the perfect time to start with this bike. I still use my bike every day to commute, although I had some days off over xmas and also used the train for some very windy and cold (<-5°C) days where its just too much to handle to ride my distance I usually do.

regarding tires, I actually changed mid November to Continental "Top Contact Winter II Premium" and I'm very happy with them. They are comfortable to ride (the rubber is very nice) and I like the smaller size. They're also quiet in comparison to the WTB Nano. I think I will go on with the size (32mm) during spring and summer; lets see how long they last. On pressure, I run them both at the maximum pressure they're allowed to; The Conti then still feel comfortable, I assume this is of their rubber they use. U can feel that Continental has lot of know how, how to build tires here.

So I'm looking forward to your pictures and impression of yours.

Thanks Marcellanz,

I will let you know once it lands and post a full review/update on here....... I think i will run the standard tires initially just to see how they behave and then switch to the ones you mention above or something similar with a little more road bias.

All the best and will be in touch.

Blue

This bike (as it is a carbon frame)with the Stromer 983wh battery and Supernova lights would be the ultimate commuter.

This bike (as it is a carbon frame)with the Stromer 983wh battery and Supernova lights would be the ultimate commuter.

I think to be an ultimate commuter it needs at least a minimalist pannier rack. I really like the bike but I need to carry stuff on my commute. Backpacks are impractical particularly in the summer.

There are some that mount on the seatpost. I would have one there and another small one in front.

Back