BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

If your daily commute goes from Welschenrohr to Balmberg, yes - but only then!

View attachment 29890

(on common roads, these guys on the ST5 will arrive much earlier...)
I like the advantage of a bigger battery not only for the range but also for not having to charge it /put the cable in charging port/take out the battery so often. Also it helps with the life cycles of the battery pack. A 500wh pack would do it’s 600-700cycles 2x faster for the same distance. So healthier cells for the big pack in the long run assuming is not discharged very often on 100mile trips.
Say with a 7-10mile commute , a 1kw pack would go for almost the whole week before needing recharging.

I have a "Supernova M99 Mini Pro 25" on it and its the perfect commuter ;-)
I read about the BMC bike and i gotta say due to it’s low weight and high quality craftsmanship +specs is a really well made e bike. Prob. Has Longer range then the massive Stromer with the big bat. Most e bikes are 55-60lb and that is heavy.

I like the advantage of a bigger battery not only for the range but also for not having to charge it /put the cable in charging port/take out the battery so often.

Commuting in Switzerland is something which you don't want to extend. Adding too much time for commuting to the working hours is annoying. That's why the 45km/h are so popular here. While spending time on a slow 25 km/h is boring, riding a Stromer is fun. This is what we call "win-win-situation"

As you know, I'm currently testing the ST3 with the big battery. Just for testing purposes, I let the battery sometimes in the bike (@ -5ºC). But In routine use, I would bring the battery every evening in my warm flat. The full charging cycles warranty is useless with a modern battery. The sole thing what counts is the remaining capacity. This has to be under warranty.

I think to be an ultimate commuter it needs at least a minimalist pannier rack. I really like the bike but I need to carry stuff on my commute. Backpacks are impractical particularly in the summer.
I emailed BMC and they said it is ok to mount a rack suggested the following model: Tubus Fly Evo, with Befestigungsstrebe 33501-350mm
What I dont fully understand: The rubber-suspension allows the back of the bike to move up and down. How would this interact with a rack?

Hi, thanks for the super nice review. I own this bike too and I replay enjoy.
I want now to put an headlight, I saw the supernova mini and for me is enough.
I would like to know where can I process this piece, the one is on board with the city version. Any idea?
Thank you.

light.png

Hi, thanks for the super nice review. I own this bike too and I replay enjoy.
I want now to put an headlight, I saw the supernova mini and for me is enough.
I would like to know where can I process this piece, the one is on board with the city version. Any idea?
Thank you.

View attachment 30355

This BMC AMP has the so called ICS Cockpit and with it you can mount these lights with a GoPro compatible mount option to your bike. See below a picture of such a mount set: 7 630027 805437. Either you call your dealer or ask at BMC if your dealer is not willing to provide the set (as it was in my case). Within the mount set, there is even a double mount, with which you can have a bicycle computer (like a wahoo) AND a light. Hope this helps.

Screenshot 2019-03-05 at 22.08.08.png

This BMC AMP has the so called ICS Cockpit and with it you can mount these lights with a GoPro compatible mount option to your bike. See below a picture of such a mount set: 7 630027 805437. Either you call your dealer or ask at BMC if your dealer is not willing to provide the set (as it was in my case). Within the mount set, there is even a double mount, with which you can have a bicycle computer (like a wahoo) AND a light. Hope this helps.

View attachment 30523
Super!
Very very helpful. Thanks. Did you routed the cables internally by yourself? Was this hard?

all cables are internally. my dealers mechanic did it; he said its not hard but you have to take the time.
Thank you. I will try. I am waiting now the fenders. They should have a backlight integrated. Than I will dig into the cable routing!

BMC ... said it is ok to mount : Tubus Fly Evo, with Befestigungsstrebe 33501-350mm

1551906109608.png

Some days ago, I was at my LBS. Beneath of all the Stromer, the red BMC catches my eye. As on the picture on their website, so also in the store: I can't find anything where a rack could be fixed....

First Impressions:

OK, so I have had the bike for 48 hours....took it out yesterday into the Peak District and used it on my commute this morning.......very impressed

The initial observations are all positive, its so smooth, really well made, and is incredibly comfortable, its a joy to ride and it feels like a normal bike but with the assurance of support if and when you need it.

This is my first e-bike but as i have said before, i bought this for the days when i feel i may not have the energy to ride but knowing you have the extra reserve make it an easy decision to still use a bike rather than drive to the office.

The 40mm tyre width and rear flex make the ride really smooth and comfortable and I have mainly used it in eco-mode on the commute but tried all modes out and it climbs effortlessly up some very steep hills.

Its obvious you are on an e-bike as its weighs a bit more than my Cannondale Synapse E-tap but you barely notice the extra weight as it pulls away so smoothly with the help of the battery from the traffic lights.

The riding position is excellent and you move between the gears with Di2 easily and the small screen changes colour from green to yellow and to red depending upon which support mode you select (Eco, Trail and Boost) so its easy to know which mode you are in and I suppose as I get more used to it you will understand which mode to choose based on what your doing.

Overall, im very happy with the new bike and still felt I get a workout despite leaving it in eco-mode for the morning ride as whilst the battery helps pull away I find it encourages to you pedal long after the battery has switched off.

I will add some more thoughts after a week or so but this is an excellent, well made bike and I really like the ride, handling and extra comfort so I imagine I will be doing a lot more commuting on days I would previously jumped in my car.

Its a joy to ride and im happy to answer any questions and take pictures of anything people want to see on the bike!

Blue

Attachments

• Bike 4.jpg
    Bike 4.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 688
  • Bike 3.jpg
    Bike 3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 651
  • Bike 2.jpg
    Bike 2.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 727
  • Bike 1.jpg
    Bike 1.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 728
Hey Marcellanz,

Really enjoying the bike but a quick question for you.... I was out in the hills today and did 56k mainly in eco but some trail for the hills and the battery ran out after 45k so had to cruise home.

It went from two bars down to OFF with little or no warning? Anything like this happen to you?

I was in fairly steep hills in Buzton Derbyshire which they call the Peak District but wasn't pushing it so not sure what happened.

What range have you managed out of your bike?

Have you maxed it out in the different modes?

Let me know as I will take it out again in eco and see how far I can get on one charge?

Any feedback on your experiences with range and modes would be appreciated.

The bike is brilliant and will add more details soon.

Thanks

Blue

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190414-132820_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20190414-132820_Strava.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 720
Hi Blue

That sounds like a valid distance, especially if taking into account that you are doing 725m uphill. There are other factors like your weight (especially uphill), wind (has more influence one might imagine) and temperature (battery has less performance at 0°-10° than at 15°-22° or so).

Then also the first two bars 100%-80% and 80%-60% are more robust than the ones below. Reaching 30% us usually an area I would go into eco mode completely depending what you are going for for the rest of your ride.

I do 48km on my commute. In Summer +20° I had rides where I used ~1% of battery for 1km. I have ~350m elevation for each side. In Winter like the last weeks, it takes at bit more. With 2°-10° in the morning and sometimes some wind, I do 48km with about 40%-50% left... so when I read your ride and you gain another 370m upwards, the performance sounds right.

Main factors are therefore:
- elevation (some say 1kWh battery is able to provide about 1000m uphill)
- wind
- temperature
- your weight, esoecially uphill

best regards

Hi Marcellanz

I am so glad to find the thread you initiated.

I am so fan of BMC as I and this bike will be my first ebike...

I am looking to go for the Cross Version but I do still have some hesitation based on those points:

1) Difference between E6100 and E8000 in terms of Autonomy (because the Torque difference is clear). Do you know if it would really augment the distance as my plan in addition to commuting is to go up to 90 kms hilly roads in the Zurich and Rhein Area...

2) Support for a Rack for the side Panniers as there is no hole in the frame...( I am waiting info from BMC asked through the Kontakt form)

3) I hesitate between the M and L ( I am 183 cm tall, 90 cm Legs, 66cm arms and upper body 65cm). My LBS don't have all size...

Once I get a better decision criteria between M and L and Motor, the Cross One or LTD will enter my Stable....

Thanks a lot for your insights...

SkaTri

Back