Blocked bike lanes

TomD

One of my pet peeves while riding is stupidity like this. LAZY construction workers thinking the center of the bike lane is a suitable place to short their s***. Cars were zooming up the hill at 40+ mph. Scary enough when you have full bike lane available. In this instance I chose to stop until cars passed but just a matter of time until someone gets killed. Anyone have success complaining to city or is it just a waste of time to bother? I am tempted to be a smart ass and contact the city to ask them if it would be ok if I just put the barriers in the middle of the adjacent car lane instead.

PXL_20210428_005957496.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure, here's another one I had to dodge. I contacted the city, who told me it was another city, but they said the construction should not be blocking the bike lane so I think it's just lazy construction practices. The barriers are littered everywhere around this project on both sides of the road with no concern for biker safety.

The person you would want to contact in this situation would be [redacted], she is the Public Works Administrative assistant. She would more than likely send it to the right of way inspectors who oversee all ROW work or a project engineer that my have a active project. Either way someone would answer the question and take action, so it’s worth sending in. If you don’t get a response (within a reasonable amount of time) you can always send it my way and I will forward it myself.

All contractors working in the ROW are supposed to follow rules such as not blocking bike lanes, sidewalks, etc., but as you can imagine we can’t be everywhere at once and actually depend on the public to bring issues like this to light.

PXL_20210428_005924911.jpg

Last edited:
My personal favorite are the diamond signs whose left edge protrudes out beyond the bike lane and force you into traffic to avoid slashing your arm on them. I just want to kick the damn things over but with my luck I'll break a leg or get arrested.

Looks like in the first photo they are repaving the road, so they had to put down markers to repaint the lane lines too, I dont think they are finished, looks like they still need to put in the reflectors. But yeah, not sure why they have those barriers there :/

I just about punted some fellows tall recycle bin down the bank the other day before my sober second thought reminded me that it was the garbage truck that keeps leaving the (empty) bin in the bike lane. I've encountered it several times now at that one spot, and next time will definitely be a picture and an email to the district and the contractor. A close second is the idiot with a black lifted YJ who always parks his jeep well into the bike lane because his driveway is full. The evil version of my subconscious wants me to leave him a note saying I rode into it after dark, and now I plan to sue him for the damages! Just to give him a panic moment and a day or two of worry. lol

Coincidentally, the following day on another part of the route, I noticed a group of folks moving bins out of the bike lane as they walked by. I shouted thanks as I rode by (opposite side), and got a bunch of hearty waves. I figured they were probably riders too who appreciated the issue. :)

There's a bike lane where cars routinely/lazily park well into the bike lane and it drives me nuts. I keep saying I need to print something out saying don't be surprised if someone keys your car for being a jackass.

Tom, I refuse to ride in bike lanes separated from traffic by only a painted line. In both of your pics, had I been traveling that route, I would have been up on that sidewalk....

There's a bike lane where cars routinely/lazily park well into the bike lane and it drives me nuts. I keep saying I need to print something out saying don't be surprised if someone keys your car for being a jackass.
Parking in a bike lane is one of the rudest things a driver can do. It is up there with those people that just stop their car, maybe put flashers on, and have a conversation with someone while blocking traffic only to give you an attitude when you honk the horn or say something. I have even seen police go around some of these jokers. Trenton, NJ is a shyt hole in case anyone was wondering.

More nonsense yesterday. After contacting the city, they wrote back they would be impounding the business signs. Unclear if they plan do anything about the construction signs.

PXL_20210505_002706782.jpg
PXL_20210505_002728299.jpg

Holy cow - a sign for a Childrens music class blocking the kids bike lane?

Surely you can stage a photo of a kid riding around that as a car passes then get it on the front page of your local newspaper?

" orders to go" makes a good headline

First line of the article- council steps up and puts child safety ahead of illegal signs

I initially posted a 1 star google review for the business attaching the second above picture suggesting that the bike lane was not a suitable location for their sign, but decided to take the negative review down as I didn't want to hurt small business any more than COVID already has. It seems they took their cue from the construction signs as you can see in the first pic came first.

I initially posted a 1 star google review for the business attaching the second above picture suggesting that the bike lane was not a suitable location for their sign, but decided to take the negative review down as I didn't want to hurt small business any more than COVID already has. It seems they took their cue from the construction signs as you can see in the first pic came first.

You could start with a private message asking them to change behaviour, then report back if they don't

I emailed one of them, no reply. City said they would be impounding the signs, which seems the appropriate action. Guessing they will have to agree to comply with RoW before they will get them back.

frustrating, no doubt... but short of multiple levels (which has many many other problems) no city in the world can provide totally independent bike infrastructure which never conflicts with the needs of pedestrians, motorists, public works, etc.

i thought it was just part of urban cycling to have to avoid stuff like this! keeps you alert and engaged, that’s for sure. today i nearly had a head on collision with a cyclist on the wrong side of a fairly narrow mixed use path, he was literally on his cell phone, holding it to his ear, riding one handed uphill on the wrong side of the path next to an unrelated (they werent together) cyclist on the proper side. lots of yelling starting very far away and he heard me just in time, braked, and got behind the adjacent rider. i pretty much had to come to a complete stop to avoid him and was seriously contemplating ditching into the shrubs and steep grade adjacent!

Back